Thread: Contacting emergency service while on the trails

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs

Contacting emergency service while on the trails

When contacting Police/SAVE/Emergency services while on the trails, what information will we need for the 911 dispatch? GPS coordinates are always best, but what about trail names and/or entrance locations? What if cell phones are of no use (no reception), what other methods are available to contact emergency service?
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 8 Hrs 36 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs
    Good questions, looking forward to hearing the answers, I have a gps but no idea how to pull the co-ordinats
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Great questions!

Firstly, dispatch will likely want to get an idea of what type of emergency it is. They will then need to know location for sure. The dispatchers mapping programs have GPS coordinate capability now (Lat/Lon) so if you have that to start, great. They may not have any way to get your location based on a trail common name as such, but perhaps the road that you travelled to get into the trail you are at would help. Nearby lake names are also searchable.

If cell phone service is unavailable (which as many of you know is ALWAYS a possibility when wheeling up north) then there are a number of options out there. There are satellite phones, although I don't know that much about them personally. There are also personal locator beacons. These are an amazing piece of equipment if you spend any amount of time in the bush with limited cell capability. They can transmit location coordinates at specified intervals to family/friends at home, they can send emergency call outs to local services (911) or even send an "I'm OK" type of transmission. There are a number of companies I believe that are making these beacons, the one that I am familiar with is called "SPOT". If you are interested I can get you more info on that.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by H8TO WRK View Post
    Good questions, looking forward to hearing the answers, I have a gps but no idea how to pull the co-ordinats
    Excellent questions for sure! If I can be of any help with figuring out your GPS let me know!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.