Thread: Seatbelts

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 22 Hrs 56 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 20 Secs

Seatbelts

Is it legal to replace a factoy seatbelt with an after market 3,4 or 5 point harness? Could you replace a factory seat belt with an aftermarket 3 point harness if using same mounting locations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !B)cEffg!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkIEwQB5rLUMBMNfoNwCew~~_12.jpg   thumbnailCA0ILZYV.jpg  
    2009 Sahara Unlimited
    2.5 Rough Counrty springs and shocks + 1" spacers
    Jks front and rear adjustable track bars
    Rugged Ridge light bar
    Daystar upper dash panel
    35x12.5x15 trxus MT - Black Rock Rims

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    I actually did a little research on this as it had been asked before JK101. The answer I was given, was that you can ADD aftermarket safety belts, harnesses, etc., but for the provisions of Sec. 106(1) of the Highway Traffic Act, you must retain the original seat belts that came with the vehicle from the manufacturer.

I realize that aftermarket harnesses may be safer, stronger, better, but unless they were inspected by Transport Canada under the auspices of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act and approved for the vehicle, they do not meet the requirements.

Good question!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    you can ADD aftermarket safety belts, harnesses, etc., but for the provisions of Sec. 106(1) of the Highway Traffic Act, you must retain the original seat belts that came with the vehicle from the manufacturer.
    Pretty sure I know the answer but just to clarify, does that mean it's ok to drive on a public highway wearing only a properly installed 5point harness as long as the vehicle still retains it's original OEM installed seatbelts or must you be wearing the OEM seatbelt when driving?
    You never truly know your limits until you exceed them....

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by LugNutz View Post
    Pretty sure I know the answer but just to clarify, does that mean it's ok to drive on a public highway wearing only a properly installed 5point harness as long as the vehicle still retains it's original OEM installed seatbelts or must you be wearing the OEM seatbelt when driving?
    Sorry, I should have explained that better..... the factory belts must be retained and used to comply with Sec. 106 of the Highway Traffic Act.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 4 Hrs 15 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 52 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Sorry, I should have explained that better..... the factory belts must be retained and used to comply with Sec. 106 of the Highway Traffic Act.
    In conjunction with this is there a discretionary call or rule that would allow more modern belts to be used on an older vehicle? Say by chance the car in question came with only lap belts, would it therefore be illegal to use a harness or standard upgraded 3 point (legally speaking under Section 106) and as an officer yourself is this a technicality you would usually issue a ticket for or would common sense overrule the rulebook?

And thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. Very much appreciated.
    Last edited by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE; 06-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    In conjunction with this is there a discretionary call or rule that would allow more modern belts to be used on an older vehicle? Say by chance the car in question came with only lap belts, would it therefore be illegal to use a harness or standard upgraded 3 point (legally speaking under Section 106) and as an officer yourself is this a technicality you would usually issue a ticket for or would common sense overrule the rulebook?
    Excellent question, I too am interested in the answer seeing as the wife's 75 CJ is lap belt only...
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ