Thread: Child seat in the front of a TJ?

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs

Child seat in the front of a TJ?

I occasionally drive my niece around, which means putting in the back seat and attaching her child seat to the respective point in the floor, etc. However, I do have an airbag switch for the front passenger seat (to deactivate the airbag) and I'd like to know the legalities of putting her there rather than the back. I think she would like it better too.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Hustler,

Can you give me the child's age and weight so I can do a little research on it and get back to you?

Thanks!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Of course, she's three and I have no idea about the weight but would estimate 30 or 35 lbs.

Thanks.

I just responded to a question about a child who I think is in the next category up from yours, in a CJ7. Your child from the sounds of it will be in this category (2. Children weighing nine kilograms or more but less than 18 kilograms are classified as toddlers.)

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 613

SEAT BELT ASSEMBLIES

(6) A toddler shall be secured,

(a) in a child restraint system that,

(i) conforms to the requirements of,

(A) Standard 213 (Child Restraint Systems) made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or

(B) Standard 213.4 (Built-in Child Restraint Systems and Built-in Booster Cushions) made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada),

(ii) is secured by a seat belt assembly in the manner recommended by the manufacturer of the child restraint system, unless the child restraint system was designed to be and is secured by means of a universal anchorage system,

(iii) is secured by all the anchorage straps and devices recommended by the manufacturer of the child restraint system, if the motor vehicle was manufactured on or after January 1, 1989, and

(iv) has all harnesses, straps and buckles designed to secure the toddler in the child restraint system properly adjusted and securely fastened; or

(b) in a child restraint system described in subsection (5), if the manufacturer's specifications permit or recommend the system for use by children who weigh nine kilograms or more and not less than the weight of the toddler. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1; O. Reg. 236/09, s. 2 (6).

It would appear there is nothing in this part of the legislation specifically prohibiting you from putting her in the front seat. From reading the above, it seems as long as the seat is the correct one for her weight, and you utilize all the straps properly (including tether if so equipped), you should be good to go!

I have suggested it in the other threads asking about this, and I'll do the same with yours: Once you have it installed, try to find your local health unit, they have persons trained to inspect child seat installations. You could also check with your local Police Department and seek out their Community Services Officer, they usually have similar training with regards to these installations.

I hope this helps, and let me know how you make out!

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate it.

It's a pleasure, and I'm learning a lot as well!