Thread: Child booster seat in front passenger seat of Jeep CJ7

Orbiting Earth, currently over Binbrook, ON
    My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 22 Hrs 48 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 27 Secs

Child booster seat in front passenger seat of Jeep CJ7

This forum is a terrific idea ! Thank you Jeepkings and thank you officer for making time to assist us in our q's.

I saw a similar question already asked but in regards to a car seat and I did not want to hijack that thread.

Is it legal to put a booster seat in front for my 4year old ? He is approx 40lbs, 42" tall. The vehicle is a Jeep CJ7.

Thank you for your help.

Paul
    Member & Supporter of:
    Rockspyder4x4, Krawlerz Off-Road Enthusiasts, Central Ontario 4x4, Canadian Nissan Truck Club, London & Area Jeep Owners Club, Tri-city Jeep Club, and Ontario Federation of 4wd Recreationalists

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    I'm enjoying being able to help out!

The description of your boy is sort of right on the cusp of 2 different categories that kids are classed by. I have copied the info for the higher one (3. Children weighing 18 kilograms or more but less than 36 kilograms and who are less than 145 centimetres tall are classified as pre-school to primary grade children. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1.)

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 613

SEAT BELT ASSEMBLIES

(7) A pre-school to primary grade child shall be secured,

(a) if there is a seating position in the motor vehicle that has a seat belt assembly consisting of a pelvic restraint and a torso restraint, in that position,

(i) on a child booster seat that is used in the manner recommended by its manufacturer and that conforms to,

(A) Standard 213.2 (Booster Cushions) made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or

(B) Standard 213.4 (Built-in Child Restraint Systems and Built-in Booster Cushions) made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), and

(ii) by the motor vehicle's complete seat belt assembly, worn as described in subsection (9);

(b) if all the seating positions in the motor vehicle have a seat belt assembly consisting only of a pelvic restraint, by the pelvic restraint, worn as described in subsection (9); or

(c) in a child restraint system described in clause (6) (a), if the manufacturer's specifications permit or recommend the system for use by children who weigh 18 kilograms or more and not less than the weight of the pre-school to primary grade child. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1; O. Reg. 522/06, s. 8 (1); O. Reg. 236/09, s. 2 (7).

(9) For the purpose of clauses (7) (a) and (b), a seat belt assembly shall be worn so that,

(a) the pelvic restraint is worn firmly against the body and across the hips;

(b) the torso restraint, if there is one, is worn closely against the body and over the shoulder and across the chest; and

(c) the pelvic restraint, and the torso restraint, if there is one, are securely fastened. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1; O. Reg. 522/06, s. 8 (2, 3).

(10) Clause (9) (b) does not apply to child booster seats, such as abdominal shield booster seats, that are designed to be secured in place by the pelvic restraint of the seatbelt assembly only. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1.

It seems that there are not so many tight restrictions on kids restraints once they get into this category. A little surprising. I don't have kids, but I can only imagine, judging by reading the regulations I just posted, that your booster seat will be just fine as you describe it! I am assuming there is no airbag to even turn off on a CJ7.....lol

The only other thing I could possibly suggest, is once you have installed it, visit your local health unit, who have people trained to inspect child seat installations, or possibly your local Police Service where many of the Community Service Officers, are also trained for this.

Let me know how you make out!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Orbiting Earth, currently over Binbrook, ON
    My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 22 Hrs 48 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 27 Secs
    Great ! Thank you for your time and expertise.

Paul

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by OffroadDaddy View Post
    Great ! Thank you for your time and expertise.

Paul
    Its a pleasure Paul, any time!