Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: off road lights

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Selkirk Ontario
    Posts
    5,191
    My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    Rep Power
    14

    off road lights

    off road lights ..so hey is my thing i have 6 lights on my roof rack and at night on the back country road or highways when no other traffic is around i turn them on ,watching out from deer or other objects on the road ..when i see other lights coming i turn them off not to blind other drivers ...so lets say that you see me on the side road and you are not on the same road as i ,can i still get charged for using them ?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

    OF4WD#5926

    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement


    IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    CAN you get charged? Yes.....

    Strength of front lamps

    (9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

    The offence is for having more than 4 lighted headlights.

    I think part of the problem is, that no matter how vigilant you may be, IF for some reason you were a little slow getting them shut off on a back road, it sounds like you'd just about burn the retinas out of anyone coming toward you!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    662
    Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 55 Secs
    Rep Power
    8
    Not too highjack the thred, but i have a follow up Question, My Jeep Has 2 Lights in the bumper , the too Real head lights, And I also have 2 Additional lights mounted in the Fenders that only trun on with the high beams, I also have 2 Fog lights mounted on the bumper , and 2 more Off road lights mounted on the bumper, So as the law seems to be, If I have my high beams on, and the fender lights on, I must have the bumper lights off ? And if its foggy out, If I have the Fog lights on, I should also be turning off the Bumper lights as well? So I cannot run more than 4 lights at any given time. Also, if you have more than 4 lights, Must the lights in excess of 4 be covered ? Or they must only be covered if the bulbs are in excess of 55watts ?

    Another thing, "that project a beam of 300 candles" Does that mean if i have 8 really low lights, that do not project a beam grater than 300 candles, im okay ? Would the aiming of the lights play into effect, For example ,my bumper lights are pointed downwards to light up the area immanently in front of the jeep, vs the other lights that are projected forwards ?
    Last edited by ReversePhase; 06-02-2012 at 03:16 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Selkirk Ontario
    Posts
    5,191
    My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    CAN you get charged? Yes.....

    Strength of front lamps

    (9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

    The offence is for having more than 4 lighted headlights.

    I think part of the problem is, that no matter how vigilant you may be, IF for some reason you were a little slow getting them shut off on a back road, it sounds like you'd just about burn the retinas out of anyone coming toward you!

    not my intention to blind them ,but some times you know lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ReversePhase View Post
    Not too highjack the thred, but i have a follow up Question, My Jeep Has 2 Lights in the bumper , the too Real head lights, And I also have 2 Additional lights mounted in the Fenders that only trun on with the high beams, I also have 2 Fog lights mounted on the bumper , and 2 more Off road lights mounted on the bumper, So as the law seems to be, If I have my high beams on, and the fender lights on, I must have the bumper lights off ? And if its foggy out, If I have the Fog lights on, I should also be turning off the Bumper lights as well? So I cannot run more than 4 lights at any given time. Also, if you have more than 4 lights, Must the lights in excess of 4 be covered ? Or they must only be covered if the bulbs are in excess of 55watts ?
    The wording of the offence is "More than 4 lighted headlights". To be safe, if you HAD covers for the extra lights you have installed, I would use them.

    I think the bottom line is that you can't have more than 4 headlights on at any given time. I don't know how the 300 candela converts to 55 watts, but I think 300 candela is very little, so that would include pretty much any type of headlight or fog light.

    ---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    not my intention to blind them ,but some times you know lol
    LOL I know........

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kingston, ON
    Posts
    848
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    The wording of the offence is "More than 4 lighted headlights". To be safe, if you HAD covers for the extra lights you have installed, I would use them.
    Precautions aside, are there any provisions for unlit lights? On other forums I read about some states require extra lights to be covered even if they are not in use.
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

    And we are chock full of that, man!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    Precautions aside, are there any provisions for unlit lights? On other forums I read about some states require extra lights to be covered even if they are not in use.
    I like to think that I could offer advice where I am able to, not just the letter of the law. My point was that IF the OP had the covers for the lights, it wouldn't hurt to have them on, however I can't find anything in my search that mandates the use of covers.

    Does this help clear it up?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Selkirk Ontario
    Posts
    5,191
    My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    Precautions aside, are there any provisions for unlit lights? On other forums I read about some states require extra lights to be covered even if they are not in use.
    i know that in BC any light above the factory install must have covers,as i have been told when i was out there last,,this is gear to tractor trailers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    i know that in BC any light above the factory install must have covers,as i have been told when i was out there last,,this is gear to tractor trailers
    I am not familiar with the traffic laws in BC, but I could try to find out if you're interested?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Selkirk Ontario
    Posts
    5,191
    My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    I am not familiar with the traffic laws in BC, but I could try to find out if you're interested?


    why not lets see what BC has to say about it

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    why not lets see what BC has to say about it
    Ask and ye shall receive!


    Taken from BC Reg 26/58 pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations:

    Off-road lamps
    4.25 Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.

    [en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    506
    Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 29 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Technology is starting to come into play these days as more and more product offerings come to market.
    My question is, what is the take on those LED light bars (if DOT) that can stretch the entire width of a vehicle.
    As long as its output is at 300 candela (or 55w), does that classify it as one light?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: off road lights

    Quote Originally Posted by v1nc3 View Post
    Technology is starting to come into play these days as more and more product offerings come to market.
    My question is, what is the take on those LED light bars (if DOT) that can stretch the entire width of a vehicle.
    As long as its output is at 300 candela (or 55w), does that classify it as one light?
    Some required reading for you. Everything you ever wanted to know about vehicle lighting....

    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...rev4_e-688.htm

    Also, from Sec 62 of the Highway Traffic Act...

    When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

    Hope this helps!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay
    Posts
    134
    Time Online: 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs
    Rep Power
    11
    That last link was a LOT of information. I discovered pretty well every car I've ever owned was unintentionally in contravention of some part of that reg (turn signal not self-cancelling, selectability of highbeam, I digress...)

    Question: although I couldn't find anything relevant in the link, the HTA excerpt above seems to indicate one "COULD" legally drive at night with only an amber light on each side of the front of the car which means no headlights? That doesn't seem right, even having one headlight (white) out at night seems like it should be unsafe and unlawful.
    2001 TJ 4L 60th Anniversary
    1990 Jeep YJ Laredo 258 <- SOLD!
    1996 Mazda MX6 LS V6
    1988 Mazda MX6 GT turbo <- SOLD!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet91 View Post
    That last link was a LOT of information. I discovered pretty well every car I've ever owned was unintentionally in contravention of some part of that reg (turn signal not self-cancelling, selectability of highbeam, I digress...)

    Question: although I couldn't find anything relevant in the link, the HTA excerpt above seems to indicate one "COULD" legally drive at night with only an amber light on each side of the front of the car which means no headlights? That doesn't seem right, even having one headlight (white) out at night seems like it should be unsafe and unlawful.
    OK I could see how out of context, that the above info could be a little confusing. I will try to sort this out for you.....

    The document I gave the link for above, is FEDERAL standards. This does not equate to Provincial safety standards (in general). The self cancelling turn signals would be required on a vehicle being built for sale in Canada, or being imported for instance, but would not necessarily deem a vehicle "in contravention" on the roads in Ontario. Does that make sense?

    Secondly, the "amber" lights on either side of the FRONT of the vehicle, would still have to meet the guidelines set out in the Highway Traffic Act as per strength, etc. The "amber" lights also refer to just that, amber (yellow). Did you ever see movies or pictures of old cars back in the day, where the headlights were yellow? That is how old the Highway Traffic Act is. This is not in any way referring to your turn signal indicators which are usually orange in colour. If you need more, refer to the entire section in the HTA on vehicle lighting, I simply didn't want to post the entire section when we were talking about this one specific thing originally.

    I hope this clears it up a bit

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay
    Posts
    134
    Time Online: 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs
    Rep Power
    11
    Totally makes sense with the self-cancelling signals, I misread or missed the application of that legislation. And I didn't think of the, I'm going to call them "French 1960s amber headlamps", in the application of the above quotation. Now I see the requirement for TWO functioning headlamps at night of so-and-so strength aimed in such-and-such a direction, which I thought was the case. Thanks! I agree quoting a massive amount of legal-speak would not serve to clear much up in most cases, heh.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391
    Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet91 View Post
    And I didn't think of the, I'm going to call them "French 1960s amber headlamps"
    LMAO exactly! Now you know how far back the legislation goes. Heck, I think there is even still a section for having "bells on a sleigh".

    Cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •