Thread: Exceeding gvwr

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs

Exceeding gvwr

If your passenger vehicle ( ie jeep) exceeds the gvwr is that grounds for a ticket or even pulling the plates?

I'm thinking by the time people add armor, bumpers, a winch, long arms, a cage, 1 tone axles and the tires that go with em plus tools and other gear to go wheeling you could quickly exceed the gvwr on the door sticker.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    This is an interesting question.

I want to throw the numbers out there so I am understanding what you're asking....

Jeep TJ - GVWR = approx 6250 lbs
    Jeep TJ - Curb wt = approx 3450 lbs

Difference = approx 2800 lbs

The GVWR as many know, is assigned to a vehicle by the manufacturer as to basically how much weight the particular vehicle can safely carry. This includes persons, cargo, fuel etc.

Some of the items you described (including bumpers/axles/long arms) you are removing items and replacing them with other items, therefore you wouldn't need to add the weight of the new item, but just add the difference. I believe even with those items, it would be a stretch to get to over 6250 lbs. Some of the FULLY built rigs I have wheeled with, on 44's etc would only just be pushing that kind of weight I imagine.

I would suggest if you felt you were getting close to that magic GVWR, take your vehicle to a private weigh scales to have it checked out.

If it turned out you were over, technically you could be operating an unsafe vehicle in the case of a collision etc, and yes the plates COULD get pulled. There are ways of raising your RGW that COULD exceed your GVWR, but if you have any further questions on that, I would direct you to contact the MTO. This is the only number I have for these types of questions, I apologize if it is not the right office, but hopefully they will steer you in the right direction.

Carrier Enforcement Program Office
    Ministry of Transportation
    301 St. Paul Street, 3rd Floor
    St. Catharines, ON L2R 7R4
    Tel: 905-704-2360
    Fax: 905-704-2467

If my numbers are WAY off, I am sure I will hear about it shortly.....lol...... but I think I have done the math fairly accurately.
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 06-06-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Hmm OK cool. A passing mini van that only had half the rear wheels made me think of it that and i remember thinking my jk was starting to push the limits when I hit a closed scale on the side of the highway one night out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Hmm OK cool. A passing mini van that only had half the rear wheels made me think of it that and i remember thinking my jk was starting to push the limits when I hit a closed scale on the side of the highway one night out of curiosity.
    LOL half the rear wheels? Like it only had one wheel on the rear? That must have been quite a sight!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Lol no it wasn't a reliant Robbin in reverse as in the top half of the rear wheels were tucked up on the fender and I strongly suspect bending the bump stops a bit.

Ahhhhh... gotcha. Yeah seeing those always makes me cringe!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 2 Wks 14 Hrs 12 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    Not to resurrect, but can anyone pull into those highway weigh station? Was alway curious what the vehicle weighs?

Quote Originally Posted by bierchef View Post
    Not to resurrect, but can anyone pull into those highway weigh station? Was alway curious what the vehicle weighs?
    I can't say for sure, but I always figured the weigh scales were shut off when the lane was closed.

You could always contact the MTO number I provided to see what the status is.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    I don't believe it's illegal to enter a scale in a non commercial vehicle, but I strongly suggest you stay away when they're busy with trucks. That is unless a police or MTO officer tell you to pull in for a safety inspection. I've seen scales out west where any vehicle of a certain weight must enter the station, even RVs. Out here it's just commercial vehicles.

Most scales I know will leave the power on, so trucks, farmers pulling hay, and most anyone can use the scale to check their weights.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Wk 19 Hrs 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Secs
    Even when the scales are closed they usaully leave the scales on so driver's can check there weights. I don't know if they would like it if you pulled in when they are in there.
    My only problem is i have forgotten more things than I have learned
    OF4WD # 6762

I spoke with my colleague who is on the traffic unit, as well as being an inspector, about this, so i could be better informed.
    He advised me you guys were generally correct. Any vehicle can definitely go into a weigh scales in operation, no problem there. I would suggest that if there's a possibility that you think you are somehow overweight, be aware that you could be charged at that time for whatever that specific contravention is.

The scales, he advised, are mostly left in an operating condition when they are not being used by enforcement personnel. This, however, is not guaranteed.

Thanks for posting up guys!