Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Marc Diab Project: Honouring a Canadian HERO - discussion thread

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 57 Secs
    We now have a way to accept monetary donations.

Those who wish to make a donation can click here and use the donation bar near the top of the page.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 03-24-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Aggressive

Update

UPDATE - The latest happenings for Marc's build...

We have been collecting parts for the driveline swap...for those who have not been following, the plan is a 4L swap backed up by an AW4 and a 231, spinning the driveshafts down to a HP30 and 8.8.

We have almost everything we need, but are still looking for an AW4 Harness, torque converter, and a 231 SYE.

I would like to again thank the following for their help with donating or transporting parts, cash donations, and support for the build in other ways...

Staang's Fab
    H8TO WORK
    Curt's_97
    dvsjeep
    lil loco
    Impact
    caledoniajeeper
    CTD NUT
    Sugar
    YjJkJeep family
    Sibbles
    BullwinkleTJ
    onehoser
    laroc
    sedric
    and an anonymous donor

Staang's Fab was the first sponsor on board for the build and Eric has been a great help with his donation of an 8.8 with bracket kit installed, ready to bolt in to a TJ. We are very thankful for this donation as it will put a fairly beefy axle under the Jeep allowing us the reassurance that we will not have issues with a broken D35 down the road. Their build quality is top notch.

I must also thank Lynne and Andre (YjJkJeep family). Lynne and I spoke about the build just over a month ago, during that conversation she mentioned a contact she had in the four wheeling community that might be able to lend a hand with the project. A week later I received a phone call from Andrew Ayres of 4WDrive Magazine. Andrew and I had a great conversation and he was very interested in the build. As a result of that conversation the build will receive coverage in the magazine and Andrew has offered to help out with acquiring parts through his network of contacts.

Last week I received a second call from Andrew. He was calling to inform me that MetalCloak would be helping out by donating front fenders and flares, rear flares, and rock rails. I was floored by this phone call, I couldn't believe it!!! Over $2000 worth of parts and the only thing I had to do was say where to ship them and when.

For those not familiar with the brand, among other items they produce full replacement fenders and flares that increase clearance, allowing a larger tire with less lift. On a TJ/LJ their fenders and flares allow for up to a 35" tire on stock suspension. This will be a great help with Marc's Jeep as the plan is to run 38s on a 3.5" lift to keep it nice and low.

Andrew ended the conversation by telling me he had been in contact with a few other manufacturers and he was just waiting to hear back. He mentioned some names, but I will keep them a secret for now...you know, for the suspense, make you guys/gals keep checking this thread for updates. Keep watching for more companies to join Staang's Fab and MetalCloak in honour of Marc Diab.

So, the project is coming along slowly at the moment, but I suspect it will pick up steam in the coming month or so. Once we collect the final few parts we will be looking to setup a few build days to get the driveline swapped in. I will keep you all posted on the details for those days.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 02-25-2013 at 07:42 PM.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Some more news for Marc's build.

Andrew at 4wd Magazine/Suncruiser Media has been a great help and I must thank Lynne (YjJkJeep family) for putting me in touch with him. Andrew has been working the phones and leveraging some of his contacts in the industry. I spoke to him yesterday afternoon to hammer out a few more details and hope to have some more info to add in the coming weeks.

What I can tell you all is that Bestop has come on board and donated an Instatrunk and an Under Seat Locking Storage Box. This will give the Jeep a little more security once it is back on the road. Thank you Bestop.

The other bit of info I have for you today, I will be taking the Jeep to Hamilton LINE-X on Monday afternoon. They will be having a look at the Jeep to see what needs to be done to spray the interior. After we get the details sorted out the Jeep will return to the JeepKings.ca shop for complete removal of the interior (minus the driver seat) and it will return to LINE-X after that for the application.

On a personal note, I will be heading through the Ottawa region in a few weeks and will make a side trip to Petawawa to stop in at Madameek and see Marc's family. They are such amazing people. I will be sure to get some pics and post them up.

Like I said, there are some other details being worked out, keep an eye in the threads for more details. And work/build days will be starting very soon so we will let you know when we need people to come by the shop in Hamilton to help out.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 02-10-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 59 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post

They are such amazing people.
    ^ This is so true!

It's nice to see some big donations coming in for Marc's TJ Build

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 8 Secs
    what all do you mean by harness? just the wires or o you need the modual as well? and what year do you need? i may have a line on some stuff but need the spicifics...
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660

My Mood
    Aggressive
    If you are referring to the need for an AW4 harness, there has actually been a change to that aspect of the swap. After speaking with Marc's family they wish to retain the standard transmission, so we will be installing an AX15. Therefore, we no longer need an AW4 harness. Those people who donated various parts required for the AW4 swap will be contacted to see what they would like us to do with those parts. It will be their choice to have them returned or have them used in some other manner.

Thanks for asking.

We do have a few more updates coming in the next week or so, I just have to nail down a few things before announcing them.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 38 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins

The Marc Diab Project: Honouring a Canadian HERO - discussion thread

Are you still trying to find a 231 with an SYE Jeff?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    We have a 231 but we need an SYE...why? What do you have/know? LOL

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Some more major developments over the last month or so, I have just been waiting for a few details to be hammered out before posting them up.

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts has donated their TJ bolt-in Sport Cage. Check them out by clicking on the highlighted text, these cages are available for everything from the CJ5 of the 50s and 60s all the way up to present model JK. They even make bolt-in Sport Cages for XJ and ZJ. Another one I want to point out is their CJ8 Sport Cage system that is designed as a front cage and a rear cage, meaning you can continue to use your half cab top, have an in-cab cage, and not worry about cutting any holes in it. These cages do not require cutting, welding, or removal of the factory cage, they are all 100% bolt-in.

Second announcement for this post, we wanted to ensure the 4.0L swap would be reliable for the years to come, so we contacted Athenia Machine of Hamilton and they have come on board to do a full rebuild of the engine. It's a good thing to, once we tore into the engine and pulled the head off we found it was in need of a refresh. Marc's 90,000 km 1998 TJ will roll out of the shop with a FRESH 4.0L engine ensuring reliability for many more kms. If you are looking to have your engine rebuilt give Athenia Machine a call at (905) 387- 0320.

Another big donation is coming from B.A.D. Wheels Inc. of South Carolina. I can't wait to get my hands on these wheels. They fully comply with Tire and Rim Association standards for passenger and light truck, making them DOT LEGAL and approved for use with up to a 42" tire. They have two valve stem holes and come with a pre-installed Rapid Air Deflator allowing for a quick air down while leaving a regular valve stem available for a tire gauge to monitor air pressure making for faster air downs without additional tools. Another really cool design aspect of these all aluminum rims is the bolt on sacrificial rock ring to protect the rim lips from rock rash. We will be using the second generation of these wheels that do not have the Bead Assist Device, but we will also have one of their Bead Assist Device wheels available for everybody to check out at the various events throughout the summer. Check out these videos to learn more about the design of these rims.

Stay tuned to the thread for a few more announcements in the coming week or two.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Received a phone call a few days ago...Warn is on board and will be sending us one of their newly released ZEON series winches.

The ZEON series, released at SEMA this past November, is available in 8k, 10k, and 12k ratings with your choice of cable with a roller fairlead or rope with a hawse fairlead.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 54 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 42 Secs
    Badass!
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 4 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs

Re: The Marc Diab Project: Honouring a Canadian HERO - discussion thread

This is shaping up into a really great rig.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    ^ That it is.

Stay tuned for further developments, we have a few things in the works, just waiting on some details before posting. We have yet to turn a wrench on the Jeep as we are awaiting a few key parts before starting the build, but I assure every one of you, there will be build days and they will be announced here so those who wish to show support in person can do so.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    A lot has been happening in a very short time, I noticed the closer we get to actually turning wrenches on this build, the more frequent the phone calls and emails come in. It has been a busy few weeks with parts arriving, more being donated, planning for the wing night, writing an article for 4WDrive, and finding time to hang out with the family and put in some hours at work...it's amazing how work can cut into Jeep and social time. LOL.

Well on to some more details, as I said it has been a busy few weeks, here is a long list of more donations that have come in for the build. Some of these I have known about for a while and was just waiting to hammer out some details, others have come through in the past 2 weeks, and some have even come in during the last few days. I can't express enough, the gratitude I have to all of the companies and individuals for their generosity shown throughout this process. On more than one occasion my "allergies" have acted up over all of this.

Bilstein Shock Absorbers has donated a set of their 5100 series shock absorbers.

Nova Scotia Jeep Club held an event and with the help of a local RONA raised enough money to have a front bumper fabricated and powder coated as well as make a cash donation. I have checked out the progress on their forum and it is a very sexy looking bumper. It is currently making its way across Canada and I can't wait to see it. If you happen to be heading to Nova Scotia in June, you might be able to attend the Nova Scotia Jeep Club Jamboree.

BDS Suspension will be donating their 4.5" long arm lift. This kit includes everything you need for a long arm lift allowing for 33" tires with no need for a body lift.

MikesGFX.com will be handling some custom airbrushing on the exterior of the Jeep. Check out Mike's web site for examples of his work including a Harley Davidson owned by our very own Mugsy.

Jim and Karen at Rock Spyder 4x4 have donated a slip yoke eliminator including installation and thank you to jeepstr who graciously donated the $100 Rock Spyder gift certificate he won in the Christmas Auction.

PRP Seats will be supplying custom seats made specifically for this build. Throughout this build I have been involved in a lot of decisions when it comes to the parts chosen, however, when it comes to the seats I have left the decisions to PRP Seats. I supplied them with some ideas and a few pictures, but left the fabric and colour choices to them. When these arrive it will be a huge surprise for everybody including myself.

Tony at Rubicon Grill offered up a charity wing night to raise money to help with the build. The wing night is being hosted at the JeepKings.ca facilities in Hamilton on March 23rd. If you haven't had Tony's wings before you should come out and enjoy what you have been missing, and if you have had them, well, you know what they are all about. Read more details here.

And I can't forget Lynne and Andre at Canadian Shield 4x4 Outfitters who have been helping out by doing the cross border shuffle to pick up parts in Niagara Falls and deliver them to Hamilton. This has helped us save on shipping costs, leaving more cash in the build fund for the small and overlooked items that will come up when the build process starts.

Be sure to check out the wing night thread for details on how you can come out and meet some new people, see some old friends, enjoy Tony's wings, support a great cause, and have the opportunity to win a pair of tickets to a Leafs game donated by stacks.

Watch for future issues of 4WDrive magazine to see this build featured in their pages. If you wish to subscribe click on the Sponsor Page at the top of the forum, then click on the 4WDrive banner.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 03-14-2013 at 09:46 AM.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Wanted to put this video in here too. It is a video Marc made, to be shared at his funeral if he did not come home. If you have seen the documentary If I Should Fall, it is mentioned in the film. If you have not seen the documentary I recommend watching it. You can purchase the DVD for $25 at the If I Should Fall website.

See you tomorrow Marc...

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 59 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Time to get wrenching!

http://www.ifishouldfall.com/

Proceeds from DVD sales go towards

The Marc Diab Children's Foundation and The Military Families Fund

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    Time to get wrenching!

http://www.ifishouldfall.com/

Proceeds from DVD sales go towards

The Marc Diab Children's Foundation and The Military Families Fund

Yes, yes it is...

And it is with great excitement to see this build get started that I am announcing...

THE FIRST BUILD DATE FOR THE MARC DIAB JEEP WILL BE

APRIL 6 and 7

This will be a weekend where we focus on the tear down of the driveline and swap to a 4.0L, there will probably be other odd jobs and fabrication work needing to be done.

More details will follow, but the build will be taking place in Hamilton at the JeepKings.ca facility, it is just off the QEW at the Woodward Avenue/Buriington Street exit. For those coming out of town and needing a place to stay, there is a decent hotel about 10 minutes from the shop.

We will need people for many different aspects of the build and other jobs as well, some non-build related jobs where help will be required include; cooking up some lunch, coffee runs, parts runs, etc. So, even if you feel your abilities are not at a level where you could help out with the build, come out anyway, if you are interested we will find something for you to do...even if you are not into that, come on out anyway, see what is happening, your presence is considered support for those working on the project. See some old friends, meet some new ones, etc., etc., etc.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 03-17-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    i have been talking with Tim about an ax15 i have and i was told you guys couldnt use it because it has the princess auto slave cylinder swap done to it, but i have done some research and the ax5 and the ax15 use the same slave cylinder so the ax5 slave should bolt right onto my ax15 bellhousing
    http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...294963745+9282
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2044
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2044
    Essex County Jeep Club
    -1999 TJ "50 Shades of Jeep"

My Mood
    Aggressive
    For those who may have missed it, the donation bar for the project has reopened.

If you wish to make a donation, click here and use the donation bar near the top of the page.

Last night's Charity wing night was a HUGE success with total donations reaching $5200!!! A huge thank you to all those who came out last night or purchased raffle tickets online, the $5200 raised would not have been possible without each of you.

A few more sponsors we wish to thank.

Off Road Addiction donated mirrors for the Jeep, this will allow us to replace the original mirrors that have chipped and oxidized brackets as is typical of the early TJ mirrors.

St. Catharines Freigthliner will be supplying LED Taillights.

Waste Management of Canada donated TruckLite LED Headlights.

Odyssey Canada by Great Northern Battery Systems is donating an Odyssey Battery.

Ottawa Auto Body & Repair (Hamilton) is going to paint all new body panels, along with the Rock Hard 4x4 Parts Ultimate Sports Cage.

Cassidy’s Transfer and Storage is covering shipping of any items from Petawawa.

Acklands Grainger will be supplying safety glasses, work gloves, and shop rags for the build days.

Lucky Bear Services Inc. donated an Exide battery that was included in last night's raffle.

Titan Off Road/Everlast Welders donated a tire repair kit, tire deflators and tshirts for last night's raffle.

Tony at Rubicon Grill graciously donated the food and his services for the event last night.

Without all of these companies (and all those listed previously) this project would not be possible.

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 24 Secs
    I think it's amazing that all of these companies have donated parts, time or money to the build.

When I need stuff, it will come from somewhere on the list (most of my things already come from these places, but I will make extra sure!).