Thread: tgow dolly

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 33 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs

tgow dolly

ok so im not sure if this is where i should ask this.... but i will anyway....
    what do i need to do for my towdolly? do i insure it and get a plate? i was once told that for a tow dolly its all done through the vehicle being towed.... so any insight?
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Sorry about the delay in responding, been a little busy.

I figured I knew the answer to this question, but I consulted with one of my colleagues on the traffic unit just to confirm.

Car dollies -

-You DO NOT need a plate on the dolly.
    -You DO NOT need insurance on the dolly.
    -A vehicle towed on the dolly does NOT need to be insured (however, you may want to consult with your insurance company as any damage to the towed vehicle may not be covered if it is damaged).
    -A vehicle towed on the dolly does NOT need to be plated.
    -You DO need lights (turn/brake/running (at night)) on the rear of the vehicle being towed.
    -You DO need a separate braking system when you are towing a vehicle (over 3000 lbs).

I could cut and paste the legislation here like I usually do, but to be honest, it will just serve to add confusion.

Hope this answers your question!
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 06-10-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Happy
    that is sweet! thank you so much.
    im sure i will be way confusused but if you could copy it up then if i ever get a ticket i have a way to fight....

I have to make a further post to this as I learned something today from my MTO contact....

Because the dolly is not considered a "trailer" as defined in the Highway Traffic Act, even when towing a motor vehicle on it, it DOES NOT require the same separate braking system over 3000 lbs.

Sorry for any confusion arising from this....

Time Online: 3 Days 18 Hrs 40 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    I rented one from Uhaul a few years ago and they also stated the towed vehicle must say pass fit on the ownership if it has any of its own wheel running on the road same applies to tow trucks,

Quote Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
    I rented one from Uhaul a few years ago and they also stated the towed vehicle must say pass fit on the ownership if it has any of its own wheel running on the road same applies to tow trucks,
    Hmmmmmm.......That must be a U-haul thing, because the towed motor vehicle does NOT have to be "pass-fit" as on a registration. It doesn't have to be plated at all.

From the Highway Traffic Act:

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

If you think about it, it couldn't apply to tow trucks, they remove ALL types of vehicles for us..... even ones we have deemed "unfit". I suppose if there was something specifically wrong with the vehicle (the axle touching the road), that would be dealt with separately as unsafe.

If you can find the legislation that shows where this is required, I'd be interested in seeing it....

My Mood
    Happy
    awesome! i plan on also going to the mto and asking them there views to and if they say anything to the contrary i will ask for proof so i will post that up.... and if not i will post that all is good.... basically i wanna have all my t's crossed before i use this thing.... i have rented from uhaul like 6 times in 3 years and they made it clear i had to have plates and inssurence and then also get there additional insurenance..... which get pricey..... so the 300 i spent on this thing will pay itself off in no time....

Markr, I would suggest if you want to speak to the MTO, don't just go to your local license issuing office. They likely won't have any idea what your asking about.

Instead, go to or call your nearest MTO enforcement office. They will be able to answer.

Post up your results.

My Mood
    Happy
    awesome! great idea.... it will likely take me a few weeks to get the info but as soon as i do i will update this

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    On Offroad, does the tow dolly need fenders?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spinalguy View Post
    On Offroad, does the tow dolly need fenders?
    Thanks
    In a word, no. A tow dolly, because of its nature and not being defined as a "trailer" or "motor vehicle" does not fall under the section dealing with mud guards.

Quoted again for reference purposes....

Mudguards

(3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 7 Hrs 16 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 55 Secs
    Ok. Great thread, and thank you again for answering all thess questions. Its a huge help.

To recap: i can tow my cj7 on a dolly, and neither the trailer or the jeep needs plates or insurance? And this is because the tow dolly is not considered a trailer? Just lights, no brakes?
    Quote: Originally Posted by pjleslie03
    I know how bad the D35 is in the rear, but would it be bad to have one in the front?

Quote: Originally Posted by Lostj
    yes, you wouldn't be able to steer

Quote Originally Posted by CJMunky View Post
    Ok. Great thread, and thank you again for answering all thess questions. Its a huge help.

To recap: i can tow my cj7 on a dolly, and neither the trailer or the jeep needs plates or insurance? And this is because the tow dolly is not considered a trailer? Just lights, no brakes?
    Yes, but just to be clear, according to my MTO contact, the dolly is not actually considered a "trailer" it is more of an implement. This is why it is not required to have insurance. It is apparently not required to have brakes, because even when the Jeep is on the dolly, it is still not considered a "trailer". You definitely need to have lights at the rear though.....

Also as mentioned before, check with your insurance company about the Jeep, as it may not be covered while in transit if something were to happen to it.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I had two questions and also wondering if the OP got further MTO info.

If the dolly is an implement, do I require an ownership for it (would an officer require me to produce such)? I realize that regardless it might be prudent for theft/insurance reasons.

Does the dolly require safety chains? (again, prudent of course)

Been reading a lot in this forum. This is a great resource for the community, much appreciated!
    Last edited by Bow_Tied; 09-09-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added question
    Ron
    '05 GMC Highrider ZR2
    OF4WD#5914

My Mood
    Happy
    i didnt... sorry, after this i decided to get rid of it and use it to fund a trailer build.... havent sold it yet, so i will try and call next week and see what i can find out

Quote Originally Posted by Bow_Tied View Post
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I had two questions and also wondering if the OP got further MTO info.

If the dolly is an implement, do I require an ownership for it (would an officer require me to produce such)? I realize that regardless it might be prudent for theft/insurance reasons.

Does the dolly require safety chains? (again, prudent of course)

Been reading a lot in this forum. This is a great resource for the community, much appreciated!
    Thanks for your support!

Yes, you are required to have chains as a secondary means of attachment.

Attachments required when vehicle drawn on highway

80. (1) No motor vehicle, other than a motor vehicle in which there is a person licensed to drive a motor vehicle on a highway, trailer or other object or device shall be drawn by a motor vehicle or farm tractor on a highway unless there are two separate means of attachment so constructed and attached that the failure of one such means will not permit the motor vehicle, trailer, object or device being drawn to become detached; but this section does not apply to a trailer, object or device attached or coupled to the towing vehicle by means of a fifth wheel attachment or to a trailer or other object or device when drawn directly across a highway by a farm tractor. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 80.

The "implement" does not require plates, and therefore would not require an ownership.

Hope this helps!

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    Yes, thanks!!!!