Thread: Flat tow/ Tow Bar

Time Online: 9 Mths 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 18 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 53 Secs

Flat tow/ Tow Bar

Can two or more vehicle be joined togother via tow bars?

So can I tow one jeep behind my 2500HD and then another behind that?

What if any requirements /laws govern this like in the tow dolly thread.

Thanks

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Sorry for the delay, I know the answer to this, but I'm having a hard time finding the actual legislation.

I'll get back to you once I have found it.....
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

I spoke to one of my MTO contacts today, and it is as I thought. There is no law stating you CAN'T flat tow two Jeeps if you are towing with a "commercial motor vehicle" as defined in the Highway Traffic Act:

“commercial motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle having permanently attached thereto a truck or delivery body and includes ambulances, hearses, casket wagons, fire apparatus, buses and tractors used for hauling purposes on the highways; (“véhicule utilitaire”)

“trailer” means a vehicle that is at any time drawn upon a highway by a motor vehicle, except an implement of husbandry, a mobile home, another motor vehicle or any device or apparatus not designed to transport persons or property, temporarily drawn, propelled or moved upon such highway, and except a side car attached to a motorcycle, and shall be considered a separate vehicle and not part of the motor vehicle by which it is drawn; (“remorque”)

For the purposes of this discussion, your 2500 falls into this category, the Jeeps are not considered a "trailer" under the Act.

Then look at Sec 161 of the Highway Traffic Act...

Only one vehicle to be drawn on highway

161. No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle, other than a commercial motor vehicle, that is drawing more than one vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 161.

“vehicle” includes a motor vehicle, trailer, traction engine, farm tractor, road-building machine, bicycle and any vehicle drawn, propelled or driven by any kind of power, including muscular power, but does not include a motorized snow vehicle or a street car; (“véhicule”)

The same applies as the "dolly" tow, in that the Jeeps do not need to be plated or insured to do this.

I will have to edit my last post on the "dolly" thread, as I learned something further today in speaking with my MTO contact: Because the "motor vehicle" you are towing is not considered a "trailer" as defined in the Highway Traffic Act, you are not required to have a separate braking system on it over 3000 lbs.

You MUST be under the 75 feet overall length. You MUST have required lights on the rearmost Jeep.

The kicker to my conversation I had with him was right at the end, and what he said makes sense: He said that if the "combination" has any excessive sway to it, it can be considered unsafe. He went on to say that being such a short wheelbase, this combination would likely be swaying quite a lot! He also said that in the absence of any braking system (not required), the last Jeep in line, would be pushing hard enough on the first towed Jeep, it will act like "pushing a rope" is how he put it. This would also be considered unsafe.

As with a lot of my posts it seems, you will have to make an educated decision.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 06-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Time Online: 9 Mths 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 18 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 53 Secs
    Thanks!! I guess that wrecks my plans to flat tow all my clubs buggies to the trail heads....lol

Quote Originally Posted by dvsjeep View Post
    Thanks!! I guess that wrecks my plans to flat tow all my clubs buggies to the trail heads....lol
    LMAO well maybe try it in a "controlled environment" first......but I'm guessing that it will be a little "wonky"

The rest of your club are awesome guys though..... REALLY awesome....... I'm sure they'll understand!
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 06-19-2012 at 07:12 PM.