Thread: Received a ticket for having no mud flaps

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs

Received a ticket for having no mud flaps

I was driving my 1982 AMC Jeep CJ 7 on a country road and passed a cruiser who was parked in a laneway. He pulled me over and gave me a ticket for having no mud flaps. My Jeep was showroom clean and it was a warm/sunny/dry day. I asked the officer if my tires were kicking up any debris and he said no.

It was my understanding if the vehicle didn't come equiped with it from the factory, you couldn't be charged for not having it. My dad drove us around in his 48' Willy's CJ 3 and it didn't come with seatbelts (pre mandatory seatbelt laws) and we were never charged for not wearing them, even on seat belt blitzes. I thought this was the same thing.

in 1982, the Jeep CJ 7 did not come with mudflaps as standard equipement

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/lee...om/5416462648/

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceout.gif

spaceout.gif

Do I have a case?
    Last edited by Dre907; 06-11-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    82' CJ 7 with a few upgrades

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Dre907, I expressed in the "sticky" for this forum, that I would not comment on what any other Police Officer has done, or not done.

I appreciate that this is a popular topic of discussion, and I can assure you that there are numerous threads on this subject. Perhaps if you do a search on here, you could review some of those previous threads, and they can steer you in the right direction.
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    I can appreciate your position. I have a bunch of friends and family in blue, so I get where you're coming from.

I spoke to my father in law, who is an OPP Sargeant. He knows my Jeep well and he told me that if it wasn't raining when I was charged and my Jeep (tires) were in fact clean that it will most likely get thrown out of court ( especially considering the vehicle does not come equiped with mud flaps from the manufacturer). Something the officer couldn't be expected to know.

He did say that if I was driving while it was raining or if my tires were slinging mud from the treads (because my tires do stick out) that a ticket would be justified. But, because it was clean and I was pulled over on a dry sunny day... Case closed.

I will go to court and present my case and will let you know the end result. I will accept whatever the judge rules on this and move on.

I will show the judge litterature and provide him/her with AMC Jeep advertisements illustrating the Jeep from the showroom (no mud flaps) and a letter from a Dealership demonstrating that I attempted to buy OE mudflaps for my CJ 7, but was unsuccessful due to the fact that they are not available (because they were not standard equipment for that model vehicle).

We'll see how it goes and let you know.

Thanks for the reply

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Thanks for understanding, and when you have an update, possibly create a thread in the "off topic" forum once you're done, so people can see it and ask questions etc.

I will keep an eye out for it!