Thread: Towing More Than One Vehicle

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 29 Secs

Towing More Than One Vehicle

Taken From
    mto.gov.on.ca

Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act. The maximum length of any combination of vehicles is 23 m (75' 6").
    Am I ok pulling my loaded car hauler (had recieiver hitch intstalled when it was built) and my 500lb camper behind it so long as it does not exceed GVWR and not swaying excessively?
    I installed cameras in the back so I could see the second trailer in greater view (besides my mirrors) and it has yet to move one bit... pulls straight as an arrow.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Just to clarify, what are you using for a tow vehicle?
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Just to clarify, what are you using for a tow vehicle?
    Pickup truck

Sounds like you're good to go Vince!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Is there any regulation on the types of hitches that can be used in a tandem towing setup?

eg. can I tow a typical travel trailer with a ball type hitch and behind that a boat trailer also with a ball type hitch?

Or am I limited to a 5th wheel as the first trailer in line?
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Sounds like you're good to go Vince!
    Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Is there any regulation on the types of hitches that can be used in a tandem towing setup?

eg. can I tow a typical travel trailer with a ball type hitch and behind that a boat trailer also with a ball type hitch?

Or am I limited to a 5th wheel as the first trailer in line?
    In all my research I've done on this, including speaking with one of my MTO contacts (my eyes are going crossed from reading so much law), I haven't found anything that indicates that the first hook up needs to be a 5 er.

Admittedly, I used to believe that to be the case as well, but it must be one of those urban myths. Perhaps it was started as a result of the whole "swaying" thing my contact was explaining to me today.

As I usually suggest, contact MTO enforcement if there are any doubts!

(I won't take it personal LOL)

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 7 Secs
    IF i could add something that many people overlook officer, OP should contact his ins company and assure his towed vehicles will be insured, i know for a fact some will NOT cover any claim when towing 2 vehicles (in the insurance act "vehicles" is a broad term encompassing car haulers, travel trailers etc etc a towed "vehicle")
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemInc View Post
    IF i could add something that many people overlook officer, OP should contact his ins company and assure his towed vehicles will be insured, i know for a fact some will NOT cover any claim when towing 2 vehicles (in the insurance act "vehicles" is a broad term encompassing car haulers, travel trailers etc etc a towed "vehicle")
    Good point, and I believe I mentioned the same thing in the "dolly" thread, but forgot to mention it here.

Thanks!