Thread: Vehicles rolling back

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs

Vehicles rolling back

Something that came up during conversation with a friend attempting to drive my manual Jeep (well, stall it - he has a habit of trying to start in 3rd) is how an 'accident' with a vehicle that rolled back at a stop light might be handled. I'm familiar with the requirement that all drivers must have control of their vehicles, but is there a certain point of reason? Would it come down to judgement?

Some specific examples:

Hill, red light, light turns green, vehicle rolls back 6 feet before the driver hits the brakes and hits the person behind them. Obviously the person who rolled is at fault and should have been paying attention.

What about people who tailgate and stopped WAY to close? Say, within 12". On a steep hill it is very easy to roll back this much, even in some automatics. I imagine this comes up with big trucks sometimes

Thanks!
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    I'm thinking this would be another example where each incident of this nature, would be looked at on its own merits. There would be so many different variables (distances/grade/other circumstances), theres no way to give a "blanket" answer. COULD careless driving apply (driving without due care and attention)? Maybe?

I'm thinking in the second example you gave (above), that it would somehow end up being debated by the insurance companies for a resolution.

I don't have any personal experience with investigating something like this.....
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    Thanks - that's a good enough answer He was pretty convinced that it was cut-and-dried

Cheers!