Thread: VIN plates

Hybrid View

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 9 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 28 Secs

VIN plates

YJ windshield frames usually rot out, or windows are broken so often that finding a part-out jeep with a nice frame/glass is usually the cheapest/easiest option for fixing this. That being said, with the VIN plate located on the windshiled frame itself, what is the proper procedure for this? It's riveted down, and I figured drilling it off, and putting my proper VIN on and securing would be easy enough (planned on using nuts/bolts in case I have to do it again in the future)... but then I got to thinking about the guys doing the safety, or the guys/gals in blue seeing this and having bells go off thinking it might be stolen.
    Last edited by koesdibyo; 06-22-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: more specific on resecuring plate

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 8 Hrs 6 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 4 Secs
    Another question, what if the tub has been replaced? And there is only the VIN on windshield frame.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    Another question. Homemade vehicles that are registered with the ministry as such, what kind of VIN plating do they require on the windshield, frame, etc? Do they have to be stamped metal held on with rivets? Or would other means of displaying it do?

Thanks.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    I haven't forgotten about this thread, just been working lots. I'll get the skinny on VIN's for you guys, hopefully next week.

MUD DAWG, just to clarify, when you say home made "vehicles" are you talking about a buggy?
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post

MUD DAWG, just to clarify, when you say home made "vehicles" are you talking about a buggy?
    Exactly. Green plated and registered with the MTO, and insurance company as a homemade vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by koesdibyo View Post
    YJ windshield frames usually rot out, or windows are broken so often that finding a part-out jeep with a nice frame/glass is usually the cheapest/easiest option for fixing this. That being said, with the VIN plate located on the windshiled frame itself, what is the proper procedure for this? It's riveted down, and I figured drilling it off, and putting my proper VIN on and securing would be easy enough (planned on using nuts/bolts in case I have to do it again in the future)... but then I got to thinking about the guys doing the safety, or the guys/gals in blue seeing this and having bells go off thinking it might be stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by YJJEEPS View Post
    Another question, what if the tub has been replaced? And there is only the VIN on windshield frame.

I finally got around to doing a little research on this. It would appear, as long as you use the original VIN after completing your repairs, you should be good to go. The VIN must be secured as it was originally, using rivets and not nuts and bolts. The whole idea, is that you have the paperwork trail (having owned the vehicle before doing the repairs) showing the VIN has remained consistent.

If you change an entire body I would use the VIN that was on the body and keep the paperwork trail on that. When you scrap the old body, it must have the old VIN on it, and the wrecking yard will apparently need the paperwork from that.

I have copied the Criminal Code section referring Vehicle Identification Numbers. Again, I think the most important thing to remember, is to keep ALL the paperwork associated with any repairs like this, and if there is any question, you can show all the info on the transactions.

Tampering with vehicle identification number
    353.1 (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, wholly or partially alters, removes or obliterates a vehicle identification number on a motor vehicle.

Definition of “vehicle identification number”

(2) For the purpose of this section, “vehicle identification number” means any number or other mark placed on a motor vehicle for the purpose of distinguishing it from other similar motor vehicles.

Marginal note:Exception
    (3) Despite subsection (1), it is not an offence to wholly or partially alter, remove or obliterate a vehicle identification number on a motor vehicle during regular maintenance or any repair or other work done on the vehicle for a legitimate purpose, including a modification of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Exactly. Green plated and registered with the MTO, and insurance company as a homemade vehicle.
    I can't find any reference to VIN's on hand made off road vehicles. From my own experience, if you built a buggy from the ground up (NOT making a truggy out of an existing vehicle), when you go to register and plate it as an Off Road Vehicle, the MTO can assign a VIN. This VIN should then be either stamped on the frame, or stamped on to a plate and riveted onto the frame. Something of a permanent nature. In the case if it is stolen, then there is that assigned VIN for us to reference, and to be able to put it on the system as stolen. This would be similar to a VIN assigned to a home built trailer (over 1360 kg).

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 28 Secs

VIN as a sticker?

While you are on the topic of VIN's, quite often, there is the sticker on the inside of the door frame.
    How does this apply if it is damaged, then removed?
    Or, in the case of restoration, blasted away to bare metal for paint.
    Most times the metal identification plate is in location drivers side dash fastened to a metal retainer bracket.
    Just curious about removal of duplicate markings.

Secondarily,
    some parts could have an anti-theft sticker or stamp applied on them as well, such as doors, axle, engine blocks, ect...
    How does buying used parts with different VIN's on them have an effect on the vehicle and owner?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 9 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 28 Secs
    Thank you very much, I appreciate you looking into this in such depth. Can go throw the new windshield on and get it in for a safety with confidence that I am not going to have any legality issues arising

Quote Originally Posted by v1nc3 View Post
    While you are on the topic of VIN's, quite often, there is the sticker on the inside of the door frame.
    How does this apply if it is damaged, then removed?
    Or, in the case of restoration, blasted away to bare metal for paint.
    Most times the metal identification plate is in location drivers side dash fastened to a metal retainer bracket.
    Just curious about removal of duplicate markings.

Secondarily,
    some parts could have an anti-theft sticker or stamp applied on them as well, such as doors, axle, engine blocks, ect...
    How does buying used parts with different VIN's on them have an effect on the vehicle and owner?
    I think if you read that section of the Criminal Code, and, as I mentioned before regarding your paperwork (document everything), you should be fine.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by koesdibyo View Post
    Thank you very much, I appreciate you looking into this in such depth. Can go throw the new windshield on and get it in for a safety with confidence that I am not going to have any legality issues arising
    No problem, I am happy to help. If there ever were any issues as you describe, as long as you keep everything documented, you should be fine.

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 28 Secs
    Got it! thank you