Thread: Riding in a travel trailer?

Time Online: 3 Days 11 Hrs 40 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Secs

Riding in a travel trailer?

Is it ok for people to ride in the back of a 31' fifth wheel trailer while it is on the highway? What about an RV/motorhome? What are the requirements if it's possible? (ie. seatbelts, communication with the driver...)

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    No persons can be riding in the trailer. Quoted from the Highway Traffic Act:

Riding in house or boat trailers prohibited

188. No driver of a motor vehicle to which a house trailer or boat trailer is attached shall operate the motor vehicle on a highway if the trailer is occupied by any person. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 188.

As far as the motorhome, here is what the MTO has to say about it:

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) has, since July 1, 1972, required that motor home manufacturers install driver seat and right front passenger seat belts. Since April 1, 1999 motor home manufacturers have been required to install as many seat belts in the motor home as the motor home has sleeping positions. For example, a motor home that sleeps six persons requires four additional belts, in addition to the driver and front passenger belts.

As a passenger in any motor vehicle (motorhome included), you MUST occupy a position where a seat belt is installed. Taken from the Highway Traffic Act:

Use of seat belt assembly by passenger

(3) Every person who is at least 16 years old and is a passenger in a motor vehicle on a highway shall,

(a) occupy a seating position for which a seat belt assembly has been provided; and

(b) wear the complete seat belt assembly as required by subsection (5). 2006, c. 25, s. 1.

Driver to ensure young passenger uses seat belt assembly

(4) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which there is a passenger who is under 16 years old unless,

(a) that passenger,

(i) occupies a seating position for which a seat belt assembly has been provided, and

(ii) is wearing the complete seat belt assembly as required by subsection (5); or

(b) that passenger is required by the regulations to be secured by a child seating system or child restraint system, and is so secured. 2006, c. 25, s. 1.

I am not sure what you're asking about communications with the driver?
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 3 Days 11 Hrs 40 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Secs
    I had heard riding in the trailer might be ok if you had communication ability with the driver. I guess not.

Thanx for the info and quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by k5 View Post
    I had heard riding in the trailer might be ok if you had communication ability with the driver. I guess not.

Thanx for the info and quick reply!
    No worries, glad to help!

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Since April 1, 1999 motor home manufacturers have been required to install as many seat belts in the motor home as the motor home has sleeping positions. For example, a motor home that sleeps six persons requires four additional belts, in addition to the driver and front passenger belts.

As a passenger in any motor vehicle (motorhome included), you MUST occupy a position where a seat belt is installed.
    In a motorhome made prior to 1999, are you only limited to driver and front passenger seats? (use all seatbelts provided) Or are occupants in the back allowed despite the lack of seatbelts?

Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Trailers are made as light as possible to save weight, they offer very little protection if you get rear ended or roll over, and it's compounded by the fact you have no seat belts.
    For the sake of conversation (though this will probably be edited away), a lot of RVs are the same. A lot of the class C motorhomes are just cutaway van chassis with trailers plunked on top. The bare minimum in tubing and corrugated sheet metal so the thing can withstand the wind of driving around. Anything from the cab back is a well furnished garden shed lol
    Last edited by salad; 06-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    In a motorhome made prior to 1999, are you only limited to driver and front passenger seats? (use all seatbelts provided) Or are occupants in the back allowed despite the lack of seatbelts?
    According to the letter of the law, yes everyone on board must occupy a position with a seat belt.

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    According to the letter of the law, yes everyone on board must occupy a position with a seat belt.
    Okey doke, if I bought an older RV then, any idea if I could add seatbelts myself? Or would this be a certified shop thing? I'm not familiar with building your own vehicle or retrofitting seat belts into one that had none before, I have no idea if there's an inspection to pass or anything like that. I'd imagine I couldn't just use a 3/4" ratchet strap lol

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    Okey doke, if I bought an older RV then, any idea if I could add seatbelts myself? Or would this be a certified shop thing? I'm not familiar with building your own vehicle or retrofitting seat belts into one that had none before, I have no idea if there's an inspection to pass or anything like that. I'd imagine I couldn't just use a 3/4" ratchet strap lol
    Hmmmmm I'm not familiar either. Perhaps if you spoke with an RV dealer, they could tell you if they have OEM seats with belts?