Thread: Jeel JK 4-Door Build

Time Online: 1 Hr 23 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Lightbulb Jeep Rubicon JK 4-Door Build

Hi Jeep Lovers,

I have a 2007 Rubicon 4-door and I am ready to embark on a build in order to bring it up to being trail ready for the season. Of course I am looking to add goodies like a winch and some underbody armor. However, I am a newbie when it comes to Jeep builds and would like a better opinion from more experienced off-roaders to understand what are the essential mods/addons and upgrades that make the real difference in the real world and not just fancy useless toys.

I am open to all suggestions and will use your input to go into my favorite 4wd shop and get started. I would hate to go in blind and let those guys sell me whatever they want with no real knowledge to back me up.

Your help is much appreciated. Jeep ON!
    Last edited by harryx9x9; 06-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 22 Hrs 49 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 33 Secs
    What model do you have....X.....Sahara or the Rubi?

Any pics?
    Wave Killen' 4dr

OF4WD Member # 6449

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs
    Psst Duggit... it says Rubicon on the first line

First off you have to decide how big you want to go. Also how hard you plan to wheel. Is this your first rig? Have you had it out stock yet? Do you care about mileage? Under body armor is a great place to start I can tell you nothing on a 4dr gets abused like the bottom. First thing I did for my old jk was put a couple grand into skids. Incidentally drop me a pm if you are interested, those skids are for sale)

You have a great platform to start with you may want to take it out to a guided event like camp nl just the way it is and give things a try, figure out what you feel is lacking.

The one mod other then the usual skids that I recommend to any jk is an evap relocation or skid... if you plan to wheel it then it will get hit one day.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 22 Hrs 49 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 33 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Psst Duggit... it says Rubicon on the first line
    How did I miss that....(hand to forehead smack)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 41 Secs
    1952 Jeep M38 project

Time Online: 1 Hr 23 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    1. Plan to wheel decently hard
    2. First rig
    3. Had it out, liked it, performed well but was worried about scraping the bottom
    4. Don't really care about mileage
    5. Will want to get a winch and recovery gear just in case for peace of mind

What I want to know is do I need a lift kit? And please suggest other mods you think of that are worth it.

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 2 Hrs 55 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 4 Secs
    Factory skids work well. I can tell you you I have dragged myself over many rocks and ledges and they have held up fine. Only upgrade I plan as far as skids is something for the oil pan. As far as lifts you have to figure out out what kind of trails you want to conquer and what size tire you are planning on running. Imo if money is any concern I would spend it on a quality lift before skids because the factory ones work well.
    09 Rubicon Unlimited
    RK 3.5 lift on 37" Toyos
    Lots of other stuff

OF4WD #6644

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 18 Hrs 19 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    Yeah, factory skids are good but i agree with Drizit as the ones he is selling probably cover the oil pan too. Double agreement with Driz on the Evap Canister Skid ...... and.... i just happen to have a new one still in the box if you're interested.
    Also have a WARN 95Ti Winch, full recovery kit, 48" Hi-Lift (with boot and rubber hold it all together thingy) plus rear mount kit for the jack for a JK. And...there's lots more. Send me a pm if you're interested and i will price you out a list.
    "i like the way the line goes up the back of those stockings"

#6182 OF4WD & JEEPKINGS MEMBER RETREAD # 007