Thread: Niner D30 to D44 swap and t-case to match?

Time Online: 3 Days 20 Hrs 15 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs

Niner D30 to D44 swap and t-case to match?

Building a new trail rig and my first mod is to swap the D30 out of the front of Z Grand. It's a '98 5.9L Grand Cherokee with CV axle shafts and drive shaft. I'd rather upgrade then plop in another D30 with universals. My thought was grab a Waggy D44 and the matching t-case, but it's a passenger side drop. Not a big deal if the t-case will mate to the 45RE transmission in Z Grand. Welding on 4-link mounts is also not a big deal. Does anyone have some info that can help?

Thanks

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    85 - 92 waggy had a driver's drop 44, but no flat top knuckles for high steer...

That being said...the u-joint in a waggy 44 is the same size u-joint as used in TJ D30...so there is really no upgrade in u-joint size to go to a D44...I would say save yourself the time and work of swapping the 44 and just slap some TJ D30 shafts in there...

Of course, one must also consider what your goals for the Jeep are...if you are thinking 35s or under, then keep the D30 and swap the shafts...lots of people running 35s on TJ D30 shafts without issues...if your plan is to go bigger than that, skip the D44 altogether and go with a beefier axle...

Yes, there are people running larger than 35s on a D44 and making it survive, but they have either put a lot of money into building a D44 or their driving style has adapted to the equipment on their vehicle...
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Time Online: 3 Days 20 Hrs 15 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs
    Thank you for the info. I will be running 35's but my concerns are also the housing, ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings. With the extra beef of a loaded Grand and the torque coming out the engine I don't want to be going through D30's. I completly agree that driving style can save money and parts. I did that for years with my Comanche running the same tires. Can you suggest an axle and t-case combo to last? I am also trying to go with a lower gear ratio in the t-case.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 38 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 8 Secs
    Another good part with going with a D44 is that you will be able to have locking hubs and won't have to worry about changing wheel bearing hubs on a regular basis at $100+ a pop. But like said above you still only have a the same size u-joint as a tj D30 which will be a weak spot. If you want to go with D44 front mabe go with a scout front axle and D300 T-case. But you will then be Pass side drop and a bit of mods to make it work, but then you will have a tuff t-cass that will give you all kinds of ops. of what you want to do.
    Last edited by DWG; 07-03-2012 at 12:09 AM.