Thread: Towing with a tow strap?

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 7 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs

Towing with a tow strap?

Is it legal to tow another occupied vehicle with a tow strap?

Thanks,

Bill

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Taken from the Highway Traffic Act:

Attachments required when vehicle drawn on highway

80. (1) No motor vehicle, other than a motor vehicle in which there is a person licensed to drive a motor vehicle on a highway, trailer or other object or device shall be drawn by a motor vehicle or farm tractor on a highway unless there are two separate means of attachment so constructed and attached that the failure of one such means will not permit the motor vehicle, trailer, object or device being drawn to become detached; but this section does not apply to a trailer, object or device attached or coupled to the towing vehicle by means of a fifth wheel attachment or to a trailer or other object or device when drawn directly across a highway by a farm tractor. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 80.

I have highlighted the pertinent part of this to answer your question. There MUST be a licenced person in the vehicle being towed.

This is a common sense thing, in that YES, you are allowed to tow a disabled vehicle with a strap, but there are so many things to be considered here to do it safely. It is generally considered ONLY for emergency purposes to remove a vehicle from the highway.

Some of the things to be considered to avoid an unsafe situation include....

-Braking capability of the towed vehicle
    -Steering capability of the towed vehicle
    -Turn and brake signals
    -Speed (avoiding the "whip" affect)
    -Turns/changing lanes

And so much more.

I am hoping that when considering this as a means of towing a motor vehicle, that it be used only in extreme circumstances, and only for a short distance.
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 07-06-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 40 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 35 Secs
    correct if I am wrong, but I am farily sure the towed vehicle must be registered as fit for the road as well.

Thanks for your fast reply!

My specific situation would also involve DT Starr's Question:

King of the Shield club has adopted the Timbers trails and Percocet hill through OF4WD. On the trail maintenance weekend, I would like tow my "buggy" with my motorhome to Teapot Lake, unload the buggy, set up the motorhome for the weekend and Tow the buggy to the trail heads with a licensed vehicle. (The "buggy" is insured and ORV plated).

What is your opinion on that situation?

Thanks,

Bill

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by flexymonster View Post
    Thanks for your fast reply!

My specific situation would also involve DT Starr's Question:

King of the Shield club has adopted the Timbers trails and Percocet hill through OF4WD. On the trail maintenance weekend, I would like tow my "buggy" with my motorhome to Teapot Lake, unload the buggy, set up the motorhome for the weekend and Tow the buggy to the trail heads with a licensed vehicle. (The "buggy" is insured and ORV plated).

What is your opinion on that situation?

Thanks,

Bill
    Sorry, I had completely forgotten about this thread!

I have checked and double checked, it would appear that what you are describing, and in that location, this should be no problem at all. I can't find anything to the contrary. I would like to emphasize though, that this would work for THIS location, as speeds are generally slow through the access roads.

I would say that I wouldn't attempt this on any regular highway, as you may run into an "unsafe combination" at any real speeds with this set up.

I hope this helps!

That helps A LOT!!!

Thank you VERY much!

You are doing our community a great service here!