Thread: Keeping current with laws?

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs

Keeping current with laws?

Many of us post up changes to the law pertaining that might affect us, towing, lift laws, e-tests, licensing, , insurance, etc. And while it's good practice and helpful, I was wondering if you had a better suggestion on how to stay current?

Cheers.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    This is an interesting question....

Laws that affect drivers in Ontario usually receive a lot of attention and media exposure prior to being enacted. Subtle changes to the legislation, can sometimes go unnoticed (until someone you know gets charged and lets you know.....lol).

In my experience, the notifications we receive at work, seem to be the "mainstream" type. Lets face it, it's not news when there might be a change to the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act (for example), unless it affects you directly.

Word of mouth in a community such as ours (off roading), can obviously be a very effective tool to learn about any changes. I know I would certainly post up in here if there were any changes I heard about. Problems can arise when there is speculation, and "I heard this". Best to do research before going ahead and publicly posting about something someone might have heard about.

The Ontario Gazette (accessed through E-laws) is where you would find any new legislation that is receiving Royal assent. If you are ever having trouble sleeping at night, I suggest looking here. Any legislation you pull up on E-laws will have a "Consolidation period" and show when the last amendment was completed. This is about the best advice I can give on Provincial laws.

There are also a lot of good tools on the E-laws site to help with any questions you might have on this.

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

It sure would be nice to have a mailing list, RSS feed or anything else electronic to keep you up to date, but I'm sure it's not easy across so many ministries and different regulatory bodies. I spend some time on the MTO site, but I'll take a peak on e-laws some more.

Ultimately it's everyones' responsibility to know the current laws, and most cops are good with a little grace period, but a source for changes would be really helpful, just so you don't learn the hard way.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Agreed, as I mentioned I will do my best to keep an eye on any pertinent changes. likely the ones that I'll see first, however, will be to do with off road activities or marine. Not so much Highway Traffic Act.

If I see any highway stuff, I'll update though....

Cheers

Sounds good. And I usually post up on towing and stuff because of work.

Thanks.