Thread: Looking for some insight and help with my rockers on the XJ

Time Online: 2 Days 10 Hrs 13 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs

Looking for some insight and help with my rockers on the XJ

Well its time to do the rockers on my 93 cherekee and am reaching out for some insight and potential help in accomplishing the task. I've read a few how too's in the archives, and am confident I can remove whats left of them with my sawsall. Am contemplating 2X6 or 2X4 3/16 tubbing. Thoughts on either?

Once I decide, am looking for somebody with access to or has a welder on a weekend to give me a hand. Preferably would love to have someone who has done the project involved to supervise.
    Did I mention beer? Ice cold beer.
    "Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on every doorbell."

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    I did this years ago, great mod.

I used 2x4 3/16 and that's plenty, unless you plan on beating the ever living crap out of them often, I think 1/8 would suffice.
    2x4 works out nicely and doesn't stick out much past the doors... so this is good for keep crap from collecting on them (like if you used 2x5 or 2x6) and it gives a good place to attach some tube see this pic from this thread on pirate which is a really nice job but the doors needed to be cut cause he put the rockers a bit higher then normal.

Anyway, clif notes;

2x4 1/8 or 3/16
    A LOT of metal prep where ever you will weld, and ensure you puddle the 2x4 and just touch the sheet as it's pretty thin (and often rusty on the backside)
    you can use some 1x1 1/8 angle along the lower seam, weld it in first, fold pinch seam under it, weld that, and then you have some more beef to weld the 2x4 too.
    I also added some 2x2 pieces ontop of the 2x4 where the plastic step guards are on the door sill to keep the 2x4 from pushing up as easily.
    insert something witty here

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 17 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 37 Secs
    I'll be doing this mod soon to my 98 2dr xj. I got the welder a couple of weeks ago. I have plans this weekend and next, so hopefully in about 3 weeks over the course of a weekend, I'll get it done. I don't even have a pinch seam on one side, its that bad. I'll probably order 12 feet of 2x6x1/8, 12' of 1x1/8, and 12' of 2x2 1/8 angle. I'm still new to welding, and will be doing this to get more skill.
    Angelo
    1998 Jeep Cherokee - 2dr, 4.0, Auto, 231 4x4
    1980 MGB - 3.4V6, T5 transmission, Ford 8.8 posi.
    1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby - t-tops, 5 speed, 2.2 intercooled turbo

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    few points for big_ang then

1. use whatever metal you cut off to practice welding on, and practice a lot! as much as I dislike tac welding things together, I had to tac weld much of mine because the metal had corroded so badly. I jacked the rig up, let it rest on the 2x4 held up by jack stands, and laid down tac welds every inch to the other end, then start over again as it will be cool again.
    2. 2x6 means you will have 2" of a ledge, which is nice to use as a small step, but also good for collecting dirt, mud, snow and ice. something to think about.
    3. practice more before you actually do it. welding 3/16 to another piece of 3/16 isn't hard, but 1/8 to rusty sheet metal is not easy. so practice, practice, practice.

I just ordered:
    12' of 2x6x3/16
    12' of 2x2x1/8 angle
    10' of 1x1/8 flat
    It cost under $200 and I plan on starting this weekend.

Strathroy is pretty far from Mississauga, you ever come out this way?

I'll try to document my progress and start a new thread.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    I could help but have absolutely no time to.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 49 Secs
    just making sure you've seen this thread on here
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...er-replacement

or have doen a search on naxja.org
    OF4WD MEMBER# 6656

Time Online: 2 Days 10 Hrs 13 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    Thanks for the feedback.

SK8SNWMZ - Yes I've been studying that post a while. Thanks for inserting into this thread.

big_ang - That's not a bad deal on material! How did the install go? Had I seen this earlier I may have rearranged my schedule to come to Mississauga to get some hands on experience.
    Last edited by Cantheus; 07-28-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

I haven't started yet. The 21st-22nd I had to help a friend get his DD back on the road, did a bit of work on my MG, and ran a new 20A line in my cousins workshop. He has more room, so I'll be working on it at his place. This weekend that just passed, I was partying in Windsor for a friend's birthday. Also went golfing there. I'm still feeling it....
    My plan this weekend, if I don't go camping in Killbear over the long weekend with the wife, is to start and hopefully complete this project. I still need to get gas.