Thread: Road Signs

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 28 Secs

Road Signs

Regulatory
    Usually rectangular or square with a white or black background and black, white or coloured letters

Warning
    Usually diamond-shaped and have a yellow background with black letters or symbols

Now, in the case of a Warning sign with a speed limit, what might the consequences be if one disobeys such a sign?
    I've seen some with a 30kph limit and may have gone 40kph...
    The exit ramp off the 407 to 404 comes to mind as an example.
    Am I opening myself up for a citation?

And yes, I know what happens if I dont pay attention to the falling rocks sign and drive into one....
    It is one of my favourite signs out there...

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    The yellow signs are, as you suspected, cautionary in nature, and as far as the speed ones go - are not subject to the provisions of Section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.

Have a look at Ontario Regulation 615 (linked below) for more info on signs.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...0615_ev002.htm

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 45 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    Here's another question for you

Sometime we come across signs on trails. Like mini stop signs and speed limit signs. Is there charges that can be laid for not abiding by them or are they cautionary too

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 6 Hrs 24 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    Quote Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post

Sometime we come across signs on trails. Like mini stop signs and speed limit signs. Is there charges that can be laid for not abiding by them or are they cautionary too
    Good question. Are You refering to OFSC signs?
    I'd ike to know the answer to this one as well.
    Cheers
    Brian Sibbles
    Executive Director
    www.of4wd.com

Quote Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post

This one is not as cut and dry. Depending on where the signs are, they could actually be enforceable.

Off Road Vehicles

For example, there are little speed limit signs posted on the Haliburton Rail Trail. These are enforceable by by-law. An ATV driving on the ROAD (in a legal area) must of course obey all of the signs on that road except for speed. They are governed by Regulation 316/03 pursuant to the Highway Traffic Act for speeds.

It is safe to say that MOST of the signs you see on the trails are posted for the OFSC.

Motorized Snow Vehicles

The stop signs are not specifically enforceable, however they are placed in positions where you MUST come to a stop before proceeding. In other words, you wouldn't be charged for disobeying a stop sign, you could be charged for not stopping before entering a roadway (again for example)

Speed limits on trails are enforceable for Motorized Snow Vehicles.

Seems a bit confusing I'm sure. If I haven't answered this properly, please let me know!

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 6 Hrs 24 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    This one is not as cut and dry. Depending on where the signs are, they could actually be enforceable.

Off Road Vehicles

For example, there are little speed limit signs posted on the Haliburton Rail Trail. These are enforceable by by-law. An ATV driving on the ROAD (in a legal area) must of course obey all of the signs on that road except for speed. They are governed by Regulation 316/03 pursuant to the Highway Traffic Act for speeds.

It is safe to say that MOST of the signs you see on the trails are posted for the OFSC.

Motorized Snow Vehicles

The stop signs are not specifically enforceable, however they are placed in positions where you MUST come to a stop before proceeding. In other words, you wouldn't be charged for disobeying a stop sign, you could be charged for not stopping before entering a roadway (again for example)

Speed limits on trails are enforceable for Motorized Snow Vehicles.

Seems a bit confusing I'm sure. If I haven't answered this properly, please let me know!
    Sounds like a good answer.

Have you heard of any case law where someone perhaps ran a stop sign on a trail and ended up hitting someone else? I would assume that even though running the sign is not an offence it would look pretty bad in court that you just ran it anyways and someone got hurt. Could it be negligence causing harm?

Quote Originally Posted by Sibbles View Post
    Sounds like a good answer.

Have you heard of any case law where someone perhaps ran a stop sign on a trail and ended up hitting someone else? I would assume that even though running the sign is not an offence it would look pretty bad in court that you just ran it anyways and someone got hurt. Could it be negligence causing harm?
    So many different scenarios there. I think this would definitely be judged on each individual circumstance. The terrain, lack of visibility at an intersection etc.

All the information would be gathered and looked at, possible charges could include dangerous driving, criminal negligence, all the way down to as little as a careless driving charge under the Off Road Vehicles Act.

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 28 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    ....are not subject to the provisions of Section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.......
    Just a clarification question,
    If this is not subject to Section 128, then what maximum speed limit would apply to the cautionary section of road?
    ((unposted speed limit rules apply I assume (but it was cautioned?)? the 50 / 80?))
    I presume "stunt driving" could come into play if interpredted as such if speed was deemed to be excessive?
    Not that I would drive any vehicle like a maniac through one, just curious .....

afterthought...
    I dont drive a bike, but I would think that they could handle exceptionally well in a turn at speed through something like this.

I better clarify, that Section 128 will still apply in these areas, just not to do with the cautionary yellow speed signs.

It obviously depends on where exactly we are talking about. Going from a 100 km/h zone to another 100 km/h zone, the speed limit is 100 km/h. If you are going from a 100 km/h zone into a 50 km/h zone, as soon as you exit the ramp, the 50 km/h speed limit applies.

Hope this clears it up!