Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License plate modification

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs

License plate modification

Is it legal to physically modify your plate? Ie. I would like to mount my license plate on the front of my winch plate but its too tall. Is it legal to cut off the "Ontario" or "yours to discover" part of the plate? Failing that how about the top and bottom to just before the writing? I know most of those dealership plate bezels cover some or all of those portions but that doesn't make it OK for me to grab some tin snips.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Taken from the Highway Traffic Act:

Violations as to number plates

12. (1) Every person who,

(a) defaces or alters any number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(b) uses or permits the use of a defaced or altered number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(c) without the authority of the permit holder, removes a number plate from a motor vehicle or trailer;

(d) uses or permits the use of a number plate upon a vehicle other than a number plate authorized for use on that vehicle;

(e) uses or permits the use of evidence of validation upon a number plate displayed on a motor vehicle other than evidence of validation furnished by the Ministry in respect of that motor vehicle; or

(f) uses or permits the use of a number plate or evidence of validation other than in accordance with this Act and the regulations,

is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or to both, and in addition the person’s licence or permit may be suspended for not more than six months. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 12 (1).

Property of the Crown

(2) Every number plate is the property of the Crown and shall be returned to the Ministry when required by the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 5 (1).

Sec 13

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

As you can see, the legislation is pretty clear on plates. Legally speaking you are not supposed to do anything to them, except bolt them on your vehicle in the manner prescribed in the Regulations.

I hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Sure does, guess the tin snips stay in the tool box. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Sure does, guess the tin snips stay in the tool box. Thanks
    No worries! Cheers....

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 45 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    Awesome. Looks like I can still put plate on upside down

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    I know most of those dealership plate bezels cover some or all of those portions

Can the SAVE Officer comment on the legality of covering portions of the plate as mentioned above or via other after-market items ?
    Newmarket Swamper

OF4WD Member # 5246

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 8 Hrs 36 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs
    I think its spelled out in this section that he posted

Sec 13

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

Quote Originally Posted by WranglerIV View Post
    Can the SAVE Officer comment on the legality of covering portions of the plate as mentioned above or via other after-market items ?
    I don't know if you're referring to this sort of thing, but this is also from Section 13 of the Highway Traffic Act:

Same

(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).

Same

(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).

Offence

(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).

Hope this helps!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 2 Hrs 47 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 9 Secs
    last time i was pulled over (over 10 years ago) Officer says " I can't clearly see your plate" and "it wouldn't be visable on the 407" My response " I refuse to travel on the 407 out of principle" and " the clear cover on my personal plate has been there for years". He says well I can ticket you for obstructing your plate. I reached into the trucnk, pulled out a screwdriver and snapped off the plastic cover and threw it in the trunk with the screwdriver. I said hows that? he responded "works for me, on your way". I ronically I haven't been pulled over since.
    I have Anal Glaucoma- I can't see my ass coming into work today.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    What about mounting a trailer plate verticle (like on a fender so its only 6" wide not 12")????

It would not be obstructed.
    It would not be altered.

???
    11 F150 tow rig/ DD
    87 Sami buggy
    99 XJ RIP
    91 XJ RIP
    86 CJ5 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by BLSXJ View Post
    What about mounting a trailer plate verticle (like on a fender so its only 6" wide not 12")????

It would not be obstructed.
    It would not be altered.

???
    Is there a reason why you want to mount it like that?

Not sure I can see anything wrong as long as it is clearly visible. You might even get stopped and asked the same question.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 45 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Is there a reason why you want to mount it like that?

Not sure I can see anything wrong as long as it is clearly visible. You might even get stopped and asked the same question.
    Trailers are a pain for license plates. The only place to put then the right way is under trailer. I have lost a lot of trailer plates from damage due to them hanging too low under trailer. Where as if you put them side ways on a fender they will fit and no longer be susceptible to damage

Quote Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
    Trailers are a pain for license plates. The only place to put then the right way is under trailer. I have lost a lot of trailer plates from damage due to them hanging too low under trailer. Where as if you put them side ways on a fender they will fit and no longer be susceptible to damage
    Ok, makes sense.....

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 068_1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	82130

I know what BB is saying. I made a trailer like that years ago (pic attached). There was no appropriate location to attach the plate that would not put it in harms way. I wondered what the legal ramifications were for mounting it like that and nobody seemed to know. But I never had an issue as a result of the plate mounted sideways.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 50 Secs
    I did the same thing, as my trailer has a dovetail and it was mounted on the bottom of the dovetail (about 2" from the road) which caused the plate to get scraped anytime you backed up the driveway. I ended up moving it and the license plate light to the fender to keep it safe. I figured as long as it's visible and has a light it should be fine. I'm glad to hear that this shouldn't be a problem, thanks.
    Last edited by tealj; 07-19-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 10 Hrs 14 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 5 Secs

Necropost here...
    2 summers ago I was stopped by an MP who said I needed to get new plates because my front plate was faded and unreadable. He let me go with a warning, i imagine since it was around 10 at night. I ended up just going over it with a tube of blue touch up paint from CT. I haven't had any issues since.
    Anyway I've always wondered who was responsible for the legibility of the provincially owned licence plate? Am I expected to pay for new plates if one get too faded?
    '05 TJ, 2.4L, NSG-370, 2" Pro-Comp, 33" BFG KM2's
    '09 Dodge Ram SLT QC

Re: License plate modification

Quote Originally Posted by Luck881 View Post
    Necropost here...
    2 summers ago I was stopped by an MP who said I needed to get new plates because my front plate was faded and unreadable. He let me go with a warning, i imagine since it was around 10 at night. I ended up just going over it with a tube of blue touch up paint from CT. I haven't had any issues since.
    Anyway I've always wondered who was responsible for the legibility of the provincially owned licence plate? Am I expected to pay for new plates if one get too faded?
    According to MTO, if your plate(s) have faded to the point they are un-readable, they will replace them free of charge, as long as they are within 5 years old.

If yours fall outside those parameters, it will cost you $22.

Hope this helps!

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Wks 12 Hrs 45 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    According to MTO, if your plate(s) have faded to the point they are un-readable, they will replace them free of charge, as long as they are within 5 years old.

If yours fall outside those parameters, it will cost you $22.

Hope this helps!

unfortunatly the cost of custom plates is $90 (or something)... Mine are faded and peeling.
    Wounds heal... Chicks dig scars...

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler (Rust Free California Edition)
    2005 TJ Unlimited
    1946 Willys CJ-2a "Pa2niA" Featured in JPFreek (click me)

Re: License plate modification

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
    unfortunatly the cost of custom plates is $90 (or something)... Mine are faded and peeling.
    Yes, no one ever mentioned personalized plates. According to the MTO website, it is $99.10 for replacing those.

You might want to check, if they are less than 5 years old, you may be able to get them done for free. This is just speculation though..... Check with MTO

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 10 Hrs 14 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 5 Secs

Thanks for the answer.
    If anyone is interested, the Chrysler Intense Blue Pearl (NG CC 422) touch up tube from CT is pretty much an exact match for the blue on our Ontario plates.