Thread: Late ('10) model Caravans & front brake issues?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs

Late ('10) model Caravans & front brake issues?

I'm at the shop here and twice in two days now I'm having issues with front brakes on customer Caravans. The owners are older, responsible people who don't abuse their vehicles. On this 2010, their LF caliper seems to have release issues. I've replaced both fronts with reman calipers and the flex lines, yet the LF continues to burn out the LF, mostly inboard, pads at an alarming rate (not to mention the dust). Then I have another 2010 that does a lot of driving. We're at 60k, 3rd set of replacement pads, 2nd set of replacement calipers (another on the way), and new flex lines. This ones eating RF pads, again inboard taking the brunt of it.

I'm somewhat at a loss on these. There's an old recall for excessive wear, for which ChryCo puts on fresh pads and rotors. That was done at 30k. The owner of the second Caravan had already replaced his brakes by that point & ChryCo Head Office reimbursed him. But here we are again. I do not have pressure gauges for brakes, so I can't test brake release or drag beyond having a helper release the brakes and making sure the wheel start rotating (no problems detected). It may also only be when hot. Or it could be deflection & binding at higher speeds? Pad wear is even, just excessive (like 1mm/1000km).

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated. My suppliers aren't happy, I'm not happy, and my customer... well....
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    What about the caliper adapter (bracket between the caliper and knuckle) or the anti rattle clips, any wear on these parts that could cause binding? Check for out of spec runout (side to side) on the rotor. Just some thoughts.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 55 Secs
    Don't have anything to help you solve the issue, but it is nice to hear others are having issues...

My mother-in-law has a 2010 Caravan, bought new, she is the original owner...has about 63,000 KM on it...she has replaced brakes twice already and the technician when she had it in last said they would need to be done again soon...unfortunately she is not technical so I do not know exactly what has been replaced each time, but I am assuming at the very least pads/rotors.

She is at the point were she wants to get rid of it before it really starts having problems.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 4 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 52 Secs
    i dont happen to have a answer either , but i have replaced 2 sets on 2 different vehicles both with less than 35 k , just pads and rotors on the front, < also just did a rear set , both rear calipers , pads and rotors , theses were all 2010 ...WTF

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 8 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 4 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 30 Secs
    If the inboard pads are wearing faster....I'd be thinking that mean they are the ones doing the majority of braking???? Can you see a difference in rotor pattern or heat check on the inner face?

Sounds like caliper slides ie: pins and bushings (keep in mind i'm a chevy guy) so probably not helping
    03 Rubicon with stuff to make it gooder

"Bite my Shiny Metal ass!"

Retread #19

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    there are updated pads and brackets for the rear but as for the front i havent seen any wear issues just pulsation usualy.
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s

Orbiting Earth, currently over Binbrook, ON
    My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 22 Hrs 48 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 27 Secs
    I've got an '11 grand caravan and had the front rotors/pads replaced at 20k last week. This was at no charge by the dealer. The service tech advised me that Chrysler has extended the warranty to 40k. Good for now, but after 40k I guess I better get in the know on how to do them myself.
    Member & Supporter of:
    Rockspyder4x4, Krawlerz Off-Road Enthusiasts, Central Ontario 4x4, Canadian Nissan Truck Club, London & Area Jeep Owners Club, Tri-city Jeep Club, and Ontario Federation of 4wd Recreationalists

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 38 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    Possible issue with not enough rear brake action causing fronts to work to much? Just another thought as any other idea I had was already mentioned haha

I spoke to a Chrysler tech that I know, and he said there's a problem and there's no known fix. Every 30k, complete front brakes, "and use OEM, cuz the reman stuff isn't lasting 5K".. which is exactly what I'm fighting right now.

Anyone else?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Have anything to do with the ABS pump and controls system? I'm betting there is a check valve in there that is maintaining too much residual pressure and not letting the brakes return naturaly. Companies are trying to maintain the closest tolerances between the pad and rotor to minimise braking response time. Just like the EBA systems, emergency brake assist, boostes presure when an emergency pedal response is detected.

I'm betting its further up than the flex line and caliper.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    Have anything to do with the ABS pump and controls system? I'm betting there is a check valve in there that is maintaining too much residual pressure and not letting the brakes return naturaly. Companies are trying to maintain the closest tolerances between the pad and rotor to minimise braking response time. Just like the EBA systems, emergency brake assist, boostes presure when an emergency pedal response is detected.

I think I am going to tell my mother in law to trade it in for a Nissan

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    I think I am going to tell my mother in law to trade it in for a Nissan
    I'm betting your MIL was suckered into 2 sets of non-req'd brakes by the stealership cause whe was a non-tech type female. My wife was told to have her brakes done on a Jeep just cause they wanted money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post

There's evidence both for and against this. Replacing the flex line and caliper, multiple times, has not fixed the issue. However, it's the inboard pad on both of these vehicles that's wearing out too fast, indicating slider sticking or bridge flex/bind. I hypothesized about the ABS retaining excess pressure too, but unfortunately I don't have inline or surface type pressure sensors.

My next suggestion was to swap the calipers left to right. It would require slightly modifying the back of the calipers for clearance at the flex line mounting, then bleed it upside down (easy to do). The problem is once I modify the caliper, I own it. So if I find the problem follows the caliper, I'm buying a new caliper - again. Catch-22!! Also when I used a temp gun after a city test drive, both rotors were nearly identical in temp @ 90C.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Does this seem to be just the 2010 as the 2011 mentioned above seems to be the only.

We are looking at buying 2011+ Caravans. This in good info while we look!
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

I don't believe there's any changes for 2011. I'll text the Chrysler guy I know and ask. And an update, we did reman calipers on both vehicles, fresh pads and rotors. If they keep jamming up, I'm modifying the calipers and swapping them.
    Last edited by Noltz; 08-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    2011s and 12s got bigger fronts and redesined rear calipers

I'm told the '12's got dual front piston calipers. Unknown if it's a line change or a MY change.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Update on my end...spoke to my mother in law again...her brake wear issues have been limited to rears...mid 60,000ish KMs and rear brakes have been done twice and will be in need of attention again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    "and use OEM, cuz the reman stuff isn't lasting 5K".. which is exactly what I'm fighting right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    And an update, we did reman calipers on both vehicles, fresh pads and rotors.
    What do you mean by "reman"? Somebody told my mother in law to use aftermarket parts as it would make a difference...not sure if by "reman" you mean aftermarket or remanufactured/rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by yjkallo View Post
    Possible issue with not enough rear brake action causing fronts to work to much?
    Apparently (from some quick interwebz reading) there is some speculation that brake bias had been changed on these vans to a 50/50 setup whereas most vehicles are 70 front/30 rear...talk of this being the issue on rear brake wear.

Quote Originally Posted by blown85xj View Post
    there are updated pads and brackets for the rear but as for the front i havent seen any wear issues just pulsation usualy.
    Would like to know more about these updated parts...

Remanufactured. They're actually Chrysler calipers (embossed w/pentastar). My two vehicles are exclusively front brake issues. Fun, eh?