Thread: Enclosed trailer to RV

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 7 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs

Enclosed trailer to RV

What are the requirements to be able to classify an enclosed trailer as an RV?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Good question...I would like to expand it from "trailers" to converting anything to an RV. See people converting buses (school and/or coach), big rigs, even U-hauls to RVs these days...would the same requirements for converting a trailer apply to these vehicles too?
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    I think in order for me to be able to answer this question properly, I need to know what you are referring to as "classified". Is this for a driver's licence requirement, or inspections regarding weight?
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

I would not be going over the weight for a G license so the question would be pertaining to inspection requirements.

Thanks!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Quote Originally Posted by flexymonster View Post
    I would not be going over the weight for a G license so the question would be pertaining to inspection requirements.

Thanks!
    ^ I was thinking the same...looking at it from a vehicle class for ownership/registration purposes NOT from a what drivers licence class standpoint.

I have just gotten off the phone with my MTO contact who is a senior vehicle standards engineer.

I'll start with the bus conversion to motorhome. He advised it is not referenced in legislation, but is a standard which the inspectors check for.

There are 6 criteria out of which at least 4 must be met for it to qualify:
    1). Cooking facilities (not dropping a hibachi on the floor LOL)
    2). Refrigerator/ice box (again, not a Coleman cooler sitting on the floor)
    3). Self contained toilet
    4). Heating/air conditioning system
    5). Portable water facilities
    6). Independant electrical supply.

He advised they didn't have the same list for a cargo trailer conversion per se but it would follow the same guidelines. He went on to say that in Ontario regulation 611 it provided for the fact that no more than 50% of the floor space could be used as a "garage"

I hope this helps...

Sorry to be a pain, but I could use clarification on the 50% reference. What if the "garage area" converts to the sleeping quarters with a built in fold down bed? Should I assume that due to the fact that while on the road, more than 50% is being used as a garage, regulation 611 would apply?

I love this thread! You are helping so many avoid issues that are unclear or unknown to most. Thank you!

No worries at all, I'm glad to help!

The way it was explained to me was that it could not have more than 50% taken up by a vehicle.

Copied from Ontario Regulation 611

2.2 (1) Sections 4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 8 and 10 do not apply in respect of the following classes of vehicles:
    1. A motor vehicle commonly known as a recreational vehicle or as a motor home, other than a motor vehicle,
    i. carrying commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes, or
    ii. carrying animals or non-commercial tools, equipment or vehicles that occupy one-half or more of its floor space.
    2. A house trailer, other than a house trailer,
    i. owned or leased by an employer to house the employer’s employee,
    ii. carrying commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes, or
    iii. carrying animals or non-commercial tools, equipment or vehicles that occupy one-half or more of its floor space. O. Reg. 80/11, s. 2.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 07-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 40 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 35 Secs
    Hey Bill more to add from some reading I was doing; homemade RV's (or crawler haulers) do not qualify for the RV weight excemption, so over 4600kg trailer and load you need a class A(r)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...uestions.shtml

The RV must be built to meet Canadian Standards Association Z240 or Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (of America) manufacturing standards. As such, a home-built RV or trailer would not qualify.
    it also says it must be a fifth wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by D.T.Starr View Post
    Hey Bill more to add from some reading I was doing; homemade RV's (or crawler haulers) do not qualify for the RV weight excemption, so over 4600kg trailer and load you need a class A(r)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...uestions.shtml

The RV must be built to meet Canadian Standards Association Z240 or Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (of America) manufacturing standards. As such, a home-built RV or trailer would not qualify.
    it also says it must be a fifth wheel.
    This is why I asked the question whether or not they were concerned with the weight aspect for the license. The answer was no.
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 09-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.