Thread: 2012 stock jku rim/tire question

Time Online: 1 Day 4 Hrs 57 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs

2012 stock jku rim/tire question

K Need your help fellas, finally decided on the rims and tires. Just a bit confused as far as the fit goes for a stock 12' jku. Bit of a price difference on some tires.
    1 set I'm thinking of is 33x11.5 Nitto grapplers on 18x9 monster XD rims
    The other I'm thinking of is 33x12.5 Nitto grapplers on 18x9 fuel boost rims.

What difference will the 11.5 vs 12.5 tire make on my stock jeep. Or does it depend more on the rim offset ?

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    I could be wrong, But from what i have read in the last few day... 33s at Stock Height Will Rub when turning.
    Like i said I coyld be wrong.

Time Online: 3 Days 6 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    you could do 33s at stock height and drive "ok" you just have to ask yourself how much you like your fenders because they may be rubbing at full lock and even ripped off the jeep if you do some wheeling.

If your set on 33s everyone I have talked to has recommended you get a lift of at least 2.5"

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 11 Hrs 11 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 14 Secs
    The stock tires are 32s. The change in height is not so much the issue but the width will be. Those stock rims are 6" backspacing with the added width (11.5/12.5 as you mentioned). You'll probably want to make sure those rims have a 4.5" backspacing. A small lift is always a good idea when going with bigger tires or you can do the JK chopped fender mod as well.

Ya this is the description of the rims I want.
    Fuel Boost Black with Machined Accentes Wheel 18x9 Boltpattern 5x5 & 5x5.5 ( 5x127 & 5x139.7 ) Offset 1 Hub Bore 78.1
    I don't plan on offloading my new baby anytime soon. It's a DD for now. I've read 33x12.5x18 would be fine if you don't flex.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 16 Hrs 44 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 32 Secs
    Isn't an offset of 1 on a 9" rim going to set you at a 5.5" backspace? If I'm right then the width if tire you are looking at will rub the frame when you turn. Just a thought but a 17" rim will give you a taller sidewall for when you do take it off road not to mention the tires tend to be quite a bit cheaper
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    My Stock height on my 18" rims is 31.5 on the 2012 JK Altatude.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 16 Hrs 44 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 32 Secs
    tire height is an approximation my 35" duratracs were 34.5 or so. We consider the stock jk tire a 32. The extra height isn't going to be what kills you its all in the width in this case and a small backspace fixes it.

Well my earlier backspace estimate was of a site. The guy selling them doesn't know what the backspace is on the fuel boost rims but said they came off a 2011 jk and won't fit his older model. So I'm confused. Plus as far as tires go he's got the nitto mud grapplers which look sweet in my mind but are loud as hell and the life on them isn't all that good for a DD ride. The monster XD wheels are from the US. I know they will fit fine on my stock jk and they have the nitto trail grapplers which seem to be better for daily use. Just worried about the border crossing. I would claim them as they would be in the back of my jeep just unsure what fees I'll get hit with.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 12 Hrs 46 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 30 Secs
    I wouldn't go with 18" rims. My Jeep came stock with 18's but tires are so much more expensive for 18" rims. I went down to a 16"... but I also wheel it so I wanted more sidewall. I don't have any experience with the nittos but I love my Mickey Thompson MTZs. Awesome DD tires If its just a DD and these tires/ rims are just for looks and you have the money do whatever you want lol everyone has different tastes
    Jenna
    2009 Wrangler 2 Door
    Deep Water Blue
    OF4WD # 6031