Thread: Project Baby Steps - - Another YJ Build

Hybrid View

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 55 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 57 Secs

Project Baby Steps - - Another YJ Build

Okay so been thinking about this for awhile now and finally about to sit at the computer for an hour and start up a build thread. So it al started with a 2000 ford exploder bought as a winter beater. Kept it still spring painted flat black light bar and some 31's cool to drive around in and worked well when doing doughnuts in construction yards lol. True to the name the engine shit the bed and was time for another beater. Found a 93' YJ for 1200 and scooped it. Just suppose to be a beater for the winter but little did i know it was goona stick around. So after rolling around in it for the winter i realized that instead of $5000 for a lift kit i could jack it up 4" for lke $400. So bought lift kit and had it kicking around the garage for a while. Installed some single round reverse lights PA special. Bought a stinger and was on the hunt for some 33's. Found a set from a fellow BAJA member and it was time to put the lift in. Since all i knew how to do was change oil i figured i would find a mechanic to put the lift in. Found a little shop on airport road in Brampton called Speedway Corvettes and Jeeps. Score !! Billy hooked up the lift in a weekend and i was exstatic. Time to go wheelin'. Went on my first BAJA run i think July last year. Ardbeg North Trail. Pretty cool shit, got a feel for the jeep and loved the 4LO driving. So after copious BAJA meetings on tuesdays i met quite a few Knowledgable jeepers (this may have been the nail in the coffin but so be it). After talking quite a few times with JimmyJamal and Curts_97 i decided i wanted to do an axle swap. Didn't wanna go to big so i figured 37's and a 9-44 combo would work well for me. Scooped a 9" one winter afternoon with Jimmy took it back to his place and cleaned it up to get ready for trussing. I had plans on a 3 link front 4 link in the back. Now the hunt was on for the 44. No luck at all. After 3 months of being pissed off cuz i couldnt find a ford HP 44 i was on JK one day and stumbled on a 60/14 Uh Oh !! I'de been hounded many times in the cave about the "go big or go home" theory. 2 Buddies were doing 60/14 in thier YJ's and jumping to 42's. So i hopped on the axles and let the fun begin!! So im now in the stage where im just collecting parts getting ready for a winter build. Dana 60 is Speedway Jeeps getting locked and geared. just picked up some disk brake conversion brackets yesterday and priced out coilovers for the front. Home depot today and pick out 2 different shades of blue for my colour scheme (gotta love rattle cans)

Pictures coming from when i bought it to what it looks like now. and progress pictures of whats been going on with parts collection. Build is goona start in the winter.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

first day top down

cleaning up the floor on the inside for rocker guard

rocker guard done

time for some single rounds

single rounds installed

Stinger installed

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Painting rims getting ready for lift

picking up the jeep at Speedway's after he installed the lift

super excited so i flexed it out at a park

some more leaf spring flex
    Last edited by YJohnson91; 08-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.

couple pic's from the first BAJA run i went to

First real water obstacle

Just some random video from that day

time to fix the frame

after my first and last mud and 20 run

Let the rain clean it off

Ready for the BAJA show and shine

Little wheelin' after our adopt a trail clean up

First time on The Rock in Minden (may 24 run)

Picture with the Gree Machine May 24

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Few 10 day'er pics

Now that were up to date heres the picture of the 60/14 picked up

Let the parts collection continue !!

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

And the most recent work... if you can really call it work... paint colour selection...

Black and blue theme ... been told it should be called the Bruiser.... i still like Stella cuz thats what i drink but WTH as long as it looks good who cares what you call it

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Hrs 1 Min 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 45 Secs
    i like the bbq mod!

Quote Originally Posted by giezy View Post
    i like the bbq mod!
    LOL the weird shit people leave on the trail. i grabbed a vaccume clean from the 1960's off the trail that day too