Thread: halo headlights

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs

halo headlights

i think i know the answer to this already but i have to ask anyways ..so halo lights with blue coloured angels eyes ..see pictures ..are these legal to use ??? as a white light i think it can be used but the blue ring i do not think it can be use while driving .?? i would like to use these on my 1963 gmc panel truck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	476.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	83315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	472.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	83316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	473.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	83317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	475.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	83318
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    In short.... No you can't have blue lights.

Taken from Section 62(1) of the Highway Traffic Act:

When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but there it is....
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Confused
    yup that is what i though..so if the halo ring is white were good to go ?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    yup that is what i though..so if the halo ring is white were good to go ?
    I don't know very much about these lights, but I would imagine if they meet the minimum requirement for visibility you should be good to go.

From Section 62(6) of the Highway Traffic Act:

Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle.
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 08-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.

My Mood
    Confused
    ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    ok thanks
    Anytime!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Somewhat related in that it is about after market head lights.

Is there a max light output from your head lights provided they are aimed so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic?

Also is an e-code beam pattern legal on Ontario streets or do you have to use a dot beam pattern?
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post

Is there a max light output from your head lights provided they are aimed so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic?

Also is an e-code beam pattern legal on Ontario streets or do you have to use a dot beam pattern?
    LOL This is WAY beyond my scope of expertise. For something as technical as this, I would definitely contact Transport Canada, as they set the standards for these types of things.

Here is a link to the Technical Standards document dealing with requirements for lighting/reflectors in Canada. It is in there somewhere I am sure!

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...rev4_e-688.htm

Wish I could help more...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Fair enough looks like I've got some reading ahead of me.

Thanks for the link

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs

Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    LOL This is WAY beyond my scope of expertise. For something as technical as this, I would definitely contact Transport Canada, as they set the standards for these types of things.

Here is a link to the Technical Standards document dealing with requirements for lighting/reflectors in Canada. It is in there somewhere I am sure!

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...rev4_e-688.htm

Wish I could help more...
    Fair enough looks like I've got some reading ahead of me.

Thanks for the link

Lamps

Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

Lamps required on motorcycles

(2) Subject to subsection (3), when on a highway at any time every motorcycle shall carry two lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on the front of the vehicle which shall display a white light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (2).

Strength of front lamps

(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

I highlighted the section that pertains to your question specifically. However take it's for what its worth most officers don't carry the required device/s to measure candela. However that doesnt mean you cant piss enough people off with too bright of lights.
    Last edited by RBJeepThing; 08-28-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

^ Great...... do you have any info on the "e-code" beam pattern?

LOL guess I was trying to get too technical with my answer.....It doesn't really explain whether that is 300 candela each, or a combination. I'd be interested to know, but admittedly I do not carry anything that could measure that.

Basically, if your headlights are WAY bright, you might get stopped and asked about them.
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 08-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterBoy View Post
    ^ Great.... got anything that answers his question about the "e-code" beam pattern?
    As far as I am aware there is nowhere in the HTA of Ontario that involves using any law in regards to having the rating of "D.O.T." being required on any item. I could be mistaken but I have yet to ever be shown any formal Government document pertaining to Ontario requiring it on any item either. This makes sense since Ontario has the MTO not DOT.

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    As far as I am aware there is nowhere in the HTA of Ontario that involves using any law in regards to having the rating of "D.O.T." being required on any item. I could be mistaken but I have yet to ever be shown any formal Government document pertaining to Ontario requiring it on any item either. This makes sense since Ontario has the MTO not DOT.
    Actually, the Technical Standards document I linked, does in fact reference DOT for headlamp requirements. DOT is the Federal standard for motor vehicle safety and equipment. The Province follows the schedules as set out in the Federal standards.

You won't find any standards as such in the Highway Traffic Act.... that would be for enforcement purposes such as "Unsafe Vehicle".

An example would be if you import a vehicle from the US, it must meet the Canadian standards to be allowed in.

My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Actually, the Technical Standards document I linked, does in fact reference DOT for headlamp requirements. DOT is the Federal standard for motor vehicle safety and equipment. The Province follows the schedules as set out in the Federal standards.

You won't find any standards as such in the Highway Traffic Act.... that would be for enforcement purposes such as "Unsafe Vehicle".

An example would be if you import a vehicle from the US, it must meet the Canadian standards to be allowed in.
    S7. Headlighting requirements
    S7.1 [Untitled]

Each passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus manufactured on or after September 1, 1994, shall be equipped with a headlighting system designed to conform to the requirements of S7.3, S7.4, S7.5, or S7.6.
    S7.2 [Untitled]

(25)

(a) The lens of each original and replacement equipment headlamp, and of each original equipment and replacement equipment beam contributor shall be marked with the symbol "DOT" either horizontally or vertically which shall constitute the certification required by 49 U.S.C. 30115.

(b) The lens of each headlamp and of each beam contributor manufactured on or after December 1, 1989, to which paragraph (a) of this section applies shall be marked with the name and/or trademark registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office of the manufacturer of such headlamp or beam contributor, or its importer, or any manufacturer of a vehicle equipped with such headlamp or beam contributor. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize the marking of any such name and/or trademark by one who is not the owner, unless the owner has consented to it.

(c) Each headlamp and beam contributor to which paragraph (a) of this section applies shall be marked with its voltage and with its part or trade number.

(d) Unless stated otherwise, a tolerance of 0.25 degree is permitted during photometric performance tests for any headlamp or beam contributor, and the test points 10U-90U shall be measured from the normally exposed surface of the lens face. The term "aiming plane" means "aiming reference plane" or an appropriate vertical plane defined by the manufacturer as required in S7.7.1.

(e) [CONTENT DELETED]
    BINGO! Thank you I have been looking for this forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    BINGO! Thank you I have been looking for this forever.
    LOL no worries..... glad to help!