Thread: The Marc Diab Project: Honouring a Canadian HERO - The build thread

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec

The Marc Diab Project: Honouring a Canadian HERO - The build thread

And the project begins.

Marc's Jeep was dropped off, yesterday afternoon, at the JeepKings facility in Hamilton.

For those looking for some background on this project, check out the original announcement here.

This thread will cover the project as it progresses through the stages of the rebuild/modification.
    It will not be open for discussion so the progress can be viewed in one seamless thread without a lot of questions and discussion.

There is a discussion thread for the project and it can be found here.

We are being given a mildly modified 98 TJ that is currently rolling on 33s with American Racing Aluminum rims and a budget boost. It is a 4 cylinder 5 speed.
    The vinyl graphics were added by Marc's family to honour him. This will be a completely different Jeep when it rolls back out at the end of the rebuild and modification.
    This project is, in a sense, never ending as the Jeep will continuing rolling down the roads, honouring not only Marc, but all those who have served and will serve.

The first stage of the project will involve a drivetrain swap to a 4.0L 6 cylinder with an automatic. This swap is being done to
    add the horsepower that will be needed to support the upgrades that will come later in the project. The automatic is being swapped
    in to enhance the driveability of the Jeep once it is given back to Marc's family and when it is used in ceremonies and parades.

Throughout the project there will be opportunities for all to help in various ways, whether it be through man hours spent physically working on the Jeep, donations of a monetary
    or parts nature, and even just through supporting and encouraging all of those who will be involved in the project by continuing to follow the project through its stages.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 02-23-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Aggressive
    We now have a way to accept monetary donations.

Those who wish to make a donation can click here and use the donation bar near the top of the page.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 03-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.

My Mood
    Aggressive

Update

UPDATE - The latest happenings for Marc's build...

We have been collecting parts for the driveline swap...for those who have not been following, the plan is a 4L swap backed up by an AW4 and a 231, spinning the driveshafts down to a HP30 and 8.8.

We have almost everything we need, but are still looking for an AW4 Harness, torque converter, and a 231 SYE.

I would like to again thank the following for their help with donating or transporting parts, cash donations, and support for the build in other ways...

Staang's Fab
    H8TO WORK
    Curt's_97
    dvsjeep
    lil loco
    Impact
    caledoniajeeper
    CTD NUT
    Sugar
    YjJkJeep family
    Sibbles
    BullwinkleTJ
    onehoser
    laroc
    sedric
    and an anonymous donor

Staang's Fab was the first sponsor on board for the build and Eric has been a great help with his donation of an 8.8 with bracket kit installed, ready to bolt in to a TJ. We are very thankful for this donation as it will put a fairly beefy axle under the Jeep allowing us the reassurance that we will not have issues with a broken D35 down the road. Their build quality is top notch.

I must also thank Lynne and Andre (YjJkJeep family). Lynne and I spoke about the build just over a month ago, during that conversation she mentioned a contact she had in the four wheeling community that might be able to lend a hand with the project. A week later I received a phone call from Andrew Ayres of 4WDrive Magazine. Andrew and I had a great conversation and he was very interested in the build. As a result of that conversation the build will receive coverage in the magazine and Andrew has offered to help out with acquiring parts through his network of contacts.

Last week I received a second call from Andrew. He was calling to inform me that MetalCloak would be helping out by donating front fenders and flares, rear flares, and rock rails. I was floored by this phone call, I couldn't believe it!!! Over $2000 worth of parts and the only thing I had to do was say where to ship them and when.

For those not familiar with the brand, among other items they produce full replacement fenders and flares that increase clearance, allowing a larger tire with less lift. On a TJ/LJ their fenders and flares allow for up to a 35" tire on stock suspension. This will be a great help with Marc's Jeep as the plan is to run 38s on a 3.5" lift to keep it nice and low.

Andrew ended the conversation by telling me he had been in contact with a few other manufacturers and he was just waiting to hear back. He mentioned some names, but I will keep them a secret for now...you know, for the suspense, make you guys/gals keep checking this thread for updates. Keep watching for more companies to join Staang's Fab and MetalCloak in honour of Marc Diab.

So, the project is coming along slowly at the moment, but I suspect it will pick up steam in the coming month or so. Once we collect the final few parts we will be looking to setup a few build days to get the driveline swapped in. I will keep you all posted on the details for those days.
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 02-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.