Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ardbeg South trail Blocked

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 6 Hrs 24 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min

Ardbeg South trail Blocked

Hi All

We have had reports that the Ardbeg south trail is blocked off by a gate in the south end near the highway. We are being told there is a local land dispute occurring by a land owner effecting off-road traffic and local cottagers in the area.

We are investigating the problem and will get back to you when we have more information.

Access the Ardbeg area via the north entrance near black lake and the town of Ardbeg.
    Brian Sibbles
    Executive Director
    www.of4wd.com

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    Thanks for the heads up. I will be camping at black lake next weekend. We will try and get out that way to get some pics and more info if possible.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

That is about 22 miles south down the trail. If you want to go down there you can but it will be a long day with no way off the trail there. Let me know if you make it there and through, if not no big deal we will continue to tackle the issue. I would hate to waste one of your days to take pictures of a gate, I appreciate your generosity though. Cheers

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 7 Secs
    So if someone has illegally blocked a trail/road are they in the wrong or am I for traveling down it?

I'm not trying to stir up $hit but with hydro taking over one access and this guy another pretty soon we'll be doing a circle around black lake.
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    So if someone has illegally blocked a trail/road are they in the wrong or am I for traveling down it?

I'm not trying to stir up $hit but with hydro taking over one access and this guy another pretty soon we'll be doing a circle around black lake.
    Right now it sounds like a local land dispute between a local land owner and the county. As it is a Friday of the long weekend getting a hold of anyone up there isn't working out. we'll have to pursue after the weekend I am guessing.

As for whom is in the wrong, well in my opinion only I would say it is the guy who put the gate up. Our maps show it as being a fire access route which must stay accessible. Hydro one routes can cross crown or private lands and fall under different rules with regards to access rights. Land Use Agreements (LUA) are signed by Hydro One and the owners with access granted as needed. normally you will see tow locks on a gate like this hooked in series. One is the owner, one is hydro.

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 2 Days 18 Hrs 3 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 16 Secs
    Is it just the main/gravel road (west) exit of the south trail blocked or can you still get around to the 'east' exit? I haven't been through there since last fall - the mud was slippery but passable; but was followed by a long water hole. We stuck one Jeep on the left; another in the middle but someone was able to pass through on the right hand side if you want to try it.

Come to think of it... the east exit just popped you out on the east side of the hydro station; which is where we had to tow one of the guys to, and further out again to the road for a tow due to a fouled up clutch. Not even sure if there's a bypass that avoids driving past a$$hat's property at the bottom. It looks like there might be an exit under the east power lines to Kirkham Road; but I haven't tried that way before.

All mapbooks (both online and print) have that gravel-road portion listed as Fire Road 208. I don't see the actual hydro installation on google maps... old imagery.
    Coley - 2010 JKU - Deep Water Blue
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ColeyLikesBacon

Quote Originally Posted by Coley View Post
    Is it just the main/gravel road (west) exit of the south trail blocked or can you still get around to the 'east' exit? I haven't been through there since last fall - the mud was slippery but passable; but was followed by a long water hole. We stuck one Jeep on the left; another in the middle but someone was able to pass through on the right hand side if you want to try it.

Come to think of it... the east exit just popped you out on the east side of the hydro station; which is where we had to tow one of the guys to, and further out again to the road for a tow due to a fouled up clutch. Not even sure if there's a bypass that avoids driving past a$$hat's property at the bottom. It looks like there might be an exit under the east power lines to Kirkham Road; but I haven't tried that way before.

All mapbooks (both online and print) have that gravel-road portion listed as Fire Road 208. I don't see the actual hydro installation on google maps... old imagery.
    I am being told that both routes are gated. The Hydro one road is a no go for us but the fire access road 208 should be open however is not due to some dude who is ticked off about something.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs
    This issue has been ongoing for at least the last two years. At first it was buddy chasing you down and stopping you to bitch. I guess now it has come to this.

Morpheus (Randy) should be able to give you more info.

WELCOME TO PARRY SOUND!
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 4 Hrs 31 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 4 Secs
    I have had a few words with this person over the years , and can tell you there will be no easy solution for this problem, his beef is vehicles as he put it roaring through his property at all hrs,anyone that has come down this far has noticed the large garbage dump on the left side heading south i guess thats ok? , last time the wife and i got down that far , he had the trail blocked with a trailer and some trucks ,best to avoid that spot if you can for now, i will be up next weekend sept 7-10 and will look into this, i will let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon 6 View Post
    I have had a few words with this person over the years , and can tell you there will be no easy solution for this problem, his beef is vehicles as he put it roaring through his property at all hrs,anyone that has come down this far has noticed the large garbage dump on the left side heading south i guess thats ok? , last time the wife and i got down that far , he had the trail blocked with a trailer and some trucks ,best to avoid that spot if you can for now, i will be up next weekend sept 7-10 and will look into this, i will let you know!
    I will be calling the MNR next week when they are back in the office, we have good relations with them in this area and can get this delt with on a professional level.

Thats Great i will wait to hear your response

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 23 Secs
    i was talking to the actual owner at roadkill that owns the property to the exit at the bunny trail. the one that goes past the hunting cabin at the swimming lake where you hang a left to the bunny trail or right to i believe, ardbeg south?

anyways, he lives kind of across the road but down a little towards 124. he's the first farm on the left once you leave the trail and head back to 124.

apparently the crazy guy that used to chase you down, kept bears, probably illegally, but ended up in jail and his property was seized and/or condemned. i believe he lived across the road from the exit on the bunny trail.

anyways, the owner gave us full permission to access his property to the exit. (the one with the chain and dirt hump).

don't remember his name, but if it helps any... maybe someone else will chime in.
    proud OF4WD member #3875

WE are talking about the south end of the trail that exits at Kirkham rd

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 23 Secs
    ahh i see.
    haven't done that part of the trail yet...

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Hrs 54 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 35 Secs
    I was in adbeg this weekend and drove down kirkham road.
    I did not enter the trail here but next time I'm in the area I will check it out.

I did see the new hydro access road, it was gated.
    I noticed a new gate on the fire road.
    I belive the snowmobile clubs in that area have also had issues with this land owner and have gone around his property on the east set of hydro lines. This appeared to be open as seen from the edge of the road. There was an OFSC sign that stated use at you own risk. I'm not sure if the land is hydro/crown/private, but i will look into this the next time I'm at the cottage. regards
    Steve
    Last edited by 1985sj413; 09-02-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Mr Wood is working on the issue as we speak. Should have an update later this week I hope

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibbles View Post
    Mr Wood is working on the issue as we speak. Should have an update later this week I hope
    I think he should be referred to as President Wood, or Mr. President...Mr. Wood just sounds so informal...

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 56 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 39 Secs
    ^^^that was me you were talking to about Bunny Trail access.
    PM me for info if you're heading up.

Time Online: 1 Day 17 Hrs 49 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Secs
    Looking into this further it seems action is already being taken on this. It seems there is a case that supports the gate being illegally placed. However, long term prudent solution is always to work toward making all parties happy. It seems there may be an option here to suit all parties. We should know more in October. I will keep you in the loop.

I believe good chance of favourable outcome, i.e. we should be able to maintain some form of access off of south trail.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and the helpful input and assistance from members.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985sj413 View Post
    I was in adbeg this weekend and drove down kirkham road.
    I did not enter the trail here but next time I'm in the area I will check it out.

I did see the new hydro access road, it was gated.
    I noticed a new gate on the fire road.
    I belive the snowmobile clubs in that area have also had issues with this land owner and have gone around his property on the east set of hydro lines. This appeared to be open as seen from the edge of the road. There was an OFSC sign that stated use at you own risk. I'm not sure if the land is hydro/crown/private, but i will look into this the next time I'm at the cottage. regards
    Steve
    President OF4WD

Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    I think he should be referred to as President Wood, or Mr. President...Mr. Wood just sounds so informal...
    Complete opposite Jeff, when I was growing up I was always taught to use Mr to show respect.