Thread: R R Crossing

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 4 Hrs 31 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 4 Secs

R R Crossing

Some of us on certain trails may or may not have to cross railroad tracks to get to the next section of trail etc, Is there a trespass issue in doing so ,Thanks
    Last edited by Rubicon 6; 09-01-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Wording

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon 6 View Post
    Some of us on certain trails may or may not have to cross railroad tracks to get to the next section of trail etc, Is there a trespass issue in doing so ,Thanks
    In a word.... Yes.

According to CN Police, any crossing where there isn't an authorized red/white cross sign is considered trespassing.

I know of snowmobile trails that cross some tracks in different locations, but they have the proper signage.

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Hrs 54 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 35 Secs
    I have to ask if other signs my be used to deliniate a crossing?
    I know at all "roads" there is a red/white cross, but I crossed some tracks (the same set of in two different locations) well north of ardbeg along the hydro line this weekend and there was no red/white cross sign.
    At the northern crossing there was a CN sign that stated that "those using this crossing do so at their own risk"
    This was a CN sign, not a snow mobile club's sign.
    I don't remember sign at the souther crossing.
    I'll take a picture next time I'm there but it won't be soon, it was close to the magnetawan river.

regards
    Steve
    Last edited by 1985sj413; 09-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.

I can't speak to all crossings, for obvious reasons. I'm sure there are going to be other areas that CN might be aware of, that don't have the "crossing" sign.

I'll see if I can make an enquiry about that one you're talking about, and see what they say.

The whole purpose of my question relates to this exact spot, several years ago there were 5 jeeps we crossed at that spot and as luck would have it or not along comes a CN worker riding the rails in a pickup , gave us a blast of well u can imagine and told us we were trespassing and could be charged , asked for our names and were we lived , Told him Brian Watson, Ardbeg still laugh about that ,anyway got us across the 2 sets of tracks and thats why I'm asking this question!
    Last edited by Rubicon 6; 09-02-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Relates to which particular spot? The one described above?

In general, it is as I mentioned previously, where a red/white "crossing" sign must be present for it to be legal.

For other crossings, perhaps a call to CN would help.

If there are no signs, and not a crossing as such (just going over the tracks at a random spot), that would definitely be trespassing.

Hope this helps!

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 38 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 8 Secs
    So just out of curiosity you are not allowed then, to walk down the side of rail road tracks? And i thought that a certain number of feet on each side of the tracks was public land.

Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post
    So just out of curiosity you are not allowed then, to walk down the side of rail road tracks? And i thought that a certain number of feet on each side of the tracks was public land.
    OK so I had a chance to speak with CN Police today, they answered a few questions for me.

As far as the distance on either side of the tracks that is still CN property, it is generally 30 feet. This can increase in areas up to as much as 500 metres believe it or not! Some areas it is easy to see, as there will be a tree line or fence line. Using any of the CN property could result in a trespassing charge.

I asked specifically about the crossing mentioned in this thread. Although the Officer I spoke with didn't know the exact one I was referring to, I described the signage. He advised me that it could be a private property crossing, similar to a "farmer crossing". This is where someone owns property on either side of a set of tracks, and uses the crossing to access their property.

Hope this helps!

I posted this for a reason and you will all see why soon as i get these pics posted!