Thread: My Build Begins!!! Phase One.

Time Online: 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Secs

My Build Begins!!! Phase One.

Hey Everyone!!! First off, Love the forum. Nice to see a bunch of local guys and gals.....

Well got my first jeep about 4 months ago now. '97 Jeep TJ with a 2.5l, 5 speed. 31" tires (getting pretty worn).

I brought it home and got a bunch done for safety.

Brake lines all around, brakes, Dyno Exhaust, hitch, Durango steering box upgrade KC HiLites up front and a couple toys I will have to show you later I have been having a blast driving it as it sits but it's time for bodywork and a new colour.

I started to strip it all down and had a bunch of setbacks Broke to shock bolts in the rear and of course one on each side Pics below are how we fixed that.

When I went to put the windshield down, the hinge snapped. Good ol rot! Also busted 2 bolts so far trying to get hinges out.. Thats ok as I work in a machine shop right across the road from my house and he have all the tools to help me fix that.

My plan this weekend is to have the tub torn down to where I can Raptor Line the inside, clean up and sandblast any rusted areas and have it ready for bodywork by Sunday.....

I upgraded the shocks to RS5000's as the stock ones were pretty well shot.. Got that wonderfull bounce like the old Oldsmobile Delta 88's used to ride....

Here are some pics of the work so far and I plan to post more as we progress.... If any of you see something or want to offer any tips along the way, I would love to hear from ya!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0019.JPG   IMG_0022.JPG   IMG_0095.JPG   IMG_0096.JPG   IMG_0098.JPG  

IMG_0101.JPG   IMG_0105.JPG   IMG_0107.JPG   IMG_0109.JPG   IMG_0110.JPG  

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    what are you plans for this jeep ?

Well.... Not 100% sure but I have some ideas.. This is my daily driver but I want to be able to play a bit.. No rocks mostly mud and mild trails.... I am also a trapper part tie so I need something to get me around in the fields etc.

Plans so far that I would "LIKE" to do are 3" suspension lift, 4l throttle body upgrade (plan to pull the 2.5 and rebuild it next spring or find a donor and have it ready to drop in), custom stereo / entertainment package, maybe 35's? , re do the interior, ummmmmmmmmm.......... Custom soft top for next year.. I have a hardtop I am going to put on for the winter so I can have mine sent out for pattern matching....

Dezi

Quote Originally Posted by dezmond View Post

Plans so far that I would "LIKE" to do are 3" suspension lift, 4l throttle body upgrade (plan to pull the 2.5 and rebuild it next spring or find a donor and have it ready to drop in), custom stereo / entertainment package, maybe 35's? , re do the interior, ummmmmmmmmm.......... Custom soft top for next year.. I have a hardtop I am going to put on for the winter so I can have mine sent out for pattern matching....

Dezi
    well if your ever in stoney creek Mike's auto parts sells the 4.0L throttle body for $35
    interior: pull the carpet
    custom soft top :tarp and bungee cords
    entertainment:mud lots of mud
    pattern matching ????? i say plaid be different

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 17 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 17 Secs
    welcome to jeepkings,
    enjoy your jeep build brother.
    let it bring joy to your heart

how's the frame did you check around the rear control arms and where the skid plate and the frame touch ....also pull the gauge cluster and check the connectors at the back they were shitty on the 97's and may need to be cleaned check for broken ground wires as well when you have the seats and everything out ...

Quote Originally Posted by r.d.a View Post
    how's the frame did you check around the rear control arms and where the skid plate and the frame touch ....also pull the gauge cluster and check the connectors at the back they were shitty on the 97's and may need to be cleaned check for broken ground wires as well when you have the seats and everything out ...
    Will do... The Frame looks good so far.. I will have a better look once I get everything out.... Spring time will be the body and suspension lift so I will have the tub right off.. If I have to, I will strip the frame, snadblast, POR15 and paint it before the body goes back on... But gotta save some pennies for that one... More work on it tomorrow and I will be posting more pics....

Update.... Sept. 8

Got the seats out, carpet out, fender off, hood off, grill off, tail lights and license plate bracket.... I HATE RUST!!!!! But it is off.. I have to drill out 7 bolts so far so not too bad... I will take photos for the newbies on the proper way in case you need to do it....

Seats were a little of a bugger but lot's of spray and patience... Worked out good.. When I got the front seats out and pulled the carpet I found a bit of rot on the floor so I will have to patch that before I liner the tub.. Hope to do that mid week... Tomorrow will be sandblasting any rust, prime bare metal and scrub and prep the floor for the liner.... Still hope to see the jeep in colour by the end of next weekend.. We shall see Here are some pics for you guys....Any suggestions, advice or questions, I would love to hear from ya..

Both Fenders Off now.. Thats a lot of body bolts!

A Little bit of rust to clean up!

Previous Owner was nice enough to leave the amp wires for me.......DUMB A$$ Didn't tape off the power wire though.... Not to swift!

This is what I found on the drivers side. Not too happy but it's not too bad..... Get some metal,, rivet and gooping and then I will covering it up with liner

Behind the front seats.. I got a "Sand Blaster" from NAPA and I am excited to use it... Anyone near Delhi ever want to borrow it your more than welcome.

The Jeep is already paying me back. Will have to count it and see what I can get for coffee

All stripped out and ready for clean up..

Let me know what you all think

Dezi

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 59 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 15 Secs
    I think you should stay with that colour... its coool. Do you know the name of it?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Looks like a great start! I'd suggest cutting out the rust and weld in fresh steel. Especially if you're going to line it.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Its the factory colour 95Sarah. I will get the code off the tub for ya tomorrow and send it to you/ Noltz, good call.... I will cut out what I can and put in a new piece. Anyone know where I can buy the Raptor Liner kit near by????

Dezi

Hey 95Sarah... Paint code is PJV You just need to tell the paint shop that and they will be able to mix it up for ya.....

Dezi

So busy week with work and getting things ready for a 4 day workload on the jeep.. Plans are as follows....

1. Prep Tub for Raptor Liner Kit (getting it tinted to match the exterior colour).
    2. Sand Blast my rust spots away with my new speed blaster kit. Then fix any holes and minor body work
    3. Weld nuts on all my striped torx bolts (I think I have about 7)
    4. Spray Hard top and tub with liner
    5. Drink Lots of beer.. Eat Pizza and have fun...

Did I mention I am sooooooo lucky that I get to do this ALL BY MYSELF?

Well if anyone is around the Delhi area and your bored, let me know.. I would be more than happy to share a few beers and pizza with ya for some trade on help

Will get lots of pics of the work and post as soon as I can..

Ta Ta

Dezi

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 59 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 15 Secs
    what kind and where did you get your sandblaster from? I am thinking of doing the same thing to my yj.... lots of rust on the frame!

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 3 Hrs 48 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 40 Secs
    Keep on working bro. It doesn't matter how fast things happen, as long as you keep making progress...

Thanks Slag... It gets upsetting at tiimes when you don't see a lot progress.. Got the metal cut for the holes in the floor today on my breaks... Also this is my DD so having no wheels sucks

Oh well.. At least my work is right across the road from me and my boss doesn't mind using the shop on the weekends to get it done.. My hopes are to at least have the grill sprayed this wekend and the tub lined so I can at least put one seat back in and hook my rad back up so I can drive it back and forth instead of pushing it.

Fun Fun... After I get this done, I hope to hook up with some of you guys for some mild trail rides.

Dezi

Well so far a good day of work going on.... Picked up my Raptor Liner Kits, paint for the tint, wax and grease remover and rust preventer.. Got to vacuming out the floor, wiping it all down, and so far sanded the rear tub, roll bar, and passenger area... Looking good! Definatly need to do this prep work if you want a good job... Will have the other side sanded and hope to put the floor patch in tonight so tomorrow I can mask and spray the inside. Will get lot's of pics and post them as I go.... Maybe by sunday, I can start to work on the body to have it ready for primer and paint A guy can dream ya know....

Dezi

Update Sept. 22 Raptor Liner is In :)

Well lot's of work done. And lot's learned... Got the floor patch in on the drivers side, cleaned everything all up and sprayed the Raptor Liner.. It is a very easy thing to do. Now I sprayed the whole tub, roll bar and up front where the cowl goes. I used 5 bottles on this. The green is very hard to cover over.. But I like it....

I did find out that you MUST NOT have any binding agents in your colour to add to the liner or it will be off.. I had to find out the hard way as you will see in a couple pics... But I did have a quart of paint so we sprayed it today (will be posting more pics tomorrow). It looks GREAT!!!!!

Any questions, fire away. I will do my best to help you all out... It sure is nice to be moving forward now....

Working on the Paper Template for the wonderful hole I found in the Drivers Side

Metal Cut and Ready to weld in..

Here is my Speed Blaster from NAPA.. They just put their own sticker on it..

All my goodies I got it for the Liner

This is all I needed to get things ready for the liner..

All scuffed up and ready.. Now just need to tape and plug the holes..

Holes all plugged using Ear Plugs. A great tip I found on here.

Outside Taped

Thought of a great way to cover my pedals and tailpipe SOCKS!!!!!!

More pics to come

Tried to get some bolts out and only stripped them.. So I decided to weld on some nuts and it was soooo easy this way, I should of done it to all of them. I plan to replace everything with stainless hardware anyways...

Here is the nuts getting welded on.

Any out they came..

Then I found this really stupid rubber like tape on the sills of the driver and passenger sides.. That took me the logest out of everything to get off.. Pick Pick Pick

All Sprayed....

Poor Little Bugger got stuck. I had to rip him off with needle nose...

Here is a pic of the grill and the liner. A BIG difference. But not now.. All sprayed today and looks AMAZING!!!!!

I will be painting the hard top tomorrow with the proper colour and liner. I will be getting lot's of pics and posting tomorrow night..

Dezi