Thread: construction zones and speed

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 12 Hrs 8 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 2 Secs

construction zones and speed

Pretty sure I know this answer but gomma ask anyhow.

With all this summer construction going on in ever town and city....does the speed reduction only apply when the construction is in progress? So say, it's Sunday and the workers are off, does the reduced speed limit still apply or is speed limit back to normal?

Just asking cuz I seem to get passed thru these zones on off time and get looked at like Im an idiot.
    I don't have an attitude problem, you're just an asshole!!

2004 Grand Cherokee Columbia edition
    1980 CJ Juggy
    OF4WD#6687 & 4928

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    The construction speed zones are determined by what speed is posted. I have seen some that remove the speed zone when they're not working, and pull the garbage bags off the regular speed signs. Again, just go by what is posted in either instance.

Usually this is a result of how messed up the road is where they are working, but not always.

One thing to note, when the workers are on site, a speeding charge will incur an increased penalty (similar to a school zone).

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Thanks
    Yes it does, was just a bit confused on the 40hwy in Wallyworld last weekend. I was driving the Juggy and staying at the posted 60km/h and every car passed me or rode my butt (as of to say...speed er up). Its normally an 80km/h without construction going on but I wasn't willing to risk a ticket and let em all pass me.

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 8 Hrs 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 57 Secs
    Maybe I can Help
    (I am a transportation engineer, workzone coordinator, plus book 7 OTM knowledge)
    Construction area's can lower speed limits up to 20kms,
    fines double when construction workers are present
    If its a white sign, you must obey the speed limit at all times

here is a link to more answers

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...HyMuG8-oktbk4Q
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

In the passenger seat of my Grandfathers car
    My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 58 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Great link mugsy. Like the book 7 mention. More drivers should know about it.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Yes, all signs were white and all old 80km signs are gone...not even black bagged, just gone. I assumed I was right on staying the posted limit whether the workers were on or off the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Yes, all signs were white and all old 80km signs are gone...not even black bagged, just gone. I assumed I was right on staying the posted limit whether the workers were on or off the site.
    Well you definitely did the right thing Sugar, and I should add it is a great question!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    Well you definitely did the right thing Sugar, and I should add it is a great question!
    Thanks I thought it was, seeing as every jackhole felt the need to pass me. The Juggy got enuff attention, didn't need to add to it lol besides, I'm sure I could have kicked butt against any of those cars/trucks and a JK but pretty sure CTD would have kicked mine if I came back with a ticket LOL

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    Thanks for the link Mugsy!!! I didn't know this stuff:

To advise motorists of the doubled speed fines, information signs are recommended but not required under the legislation for the double fines to be in effect.
    Examples of the Doubling of Fines for Speeding in Construction Zones

• The previous HTA fine for exceeding the speed limit by 20 km/h was $4.50 per km/h over the speed limit and 3 demerit points. With the Bill 169 amendment, the fine for exceeding the posted speed limit in a construction zone where workers are present is doubled to $9.00 per km/h (demerit points remain at 3).
    • Also under Bill 169, the HTA fines for traveling 30 to 34 km/h over the speed limit have increased from the previous $4.50 per km/h to $7.00 per km/h and 4 demerit points. When this new amount is doubled it increases to $14.00 per km/h over the limit (demerit points remain at 4).
    Ron
    '05 GMC Highrider ZR2
    OF4WD#5914

Since we're on the subject of these special zones, I should post up the info related to "community safety zones" which some of you may not be aware of...

Taken from the Highway Traffic Act:

Community safety zones

Municipal highways

214.1 (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law designate a part of a highway under its jurisdiction as a community safety zone if, in the council's opinion, public safety is of special concern on that part of the highway. 1998, c. 6, s. 1.

Non-municipal highways

(2) The Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services may by regulation designate a part of a provincial highway or of any highway that is not under the jurisdiction of a municipality as a community safety zone if, in his or her opinion, public safety is of special concern on that part of the highway. 1998, c. 6, s. 1; 2006, c. 19, Sched. T, s. 7 (1).

When designation is in effect

(3) A by-law or regulation designating a community safety zone shall specify the hours, days and months when the designation is in effect. 1998, c. 6, s. 1.

Signs

(4) The municipality or the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, as the case may be, shall ensure that signs denoting a community safety zone are erected in accordance with the regulations. 1998, c. 6, s. 1; 2006, c. 19, Sched. T, s. 7 (2).

Designation not effective until signs are erected

(5) No by-law or regulation made under this section becomes effective until signs are erected, in accordance with this Act and the regulations, on the designated part of the highway. 1998, c. 6, s. 1.

Penalty for speeding in community safety zone

(6) Every person who commits an offence under section 128 in a community safety zone when it is in effect is liable, on conviction, not to the fines set out in subsection 128 (14), but, where the rate of speed at which the motor vehicle was driven,

(a) is less than 20 kilometres per hour over the speed limit, to a fine of double the fine set out in clause 128 (14) (a) for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit;

(b) is 20 kilometres per hour or more but less than 30 kilometres per hour over the speed limit, to a fine of double the fine set out in clause 128 (14) (b) for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit;

(c) is 30 kilometres per hour or more but less than 50 kilometres per hour over the speed limit, to a fine of double the fine set out in clause 128 (14) (c) for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit; and

(d) is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit, to a fine of double the fine set out in clause 128 (14) (d) for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 32 (1).

Same, construction zone

(6.1) Every person who commits an offence under section 128 in a community safety zone, when it is in effect, that is also a construction zone designated under subsection 128 (8) or (8.1), when there is a worker in the construction zone, is liable, on conviction, to the penalties set out in subsection (6) and not to an additional penalty under subsection 128 (14.1). 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 32 (2).

Penalty for careless driving or racing in community safety zone

(7) Every person who commits an offence under section 130 or 172 in a community safety zone when it is in effect is liable, on conviction, not to the penalty set out in those sections, but to a fine of not less than double the minimum fine set out in those sections and not more than the maximum fine set out in those sections or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than the maximum period for which his or her licence could be ordered suspended by a court under section 130 or 172, as the case may be. 1998, c. 6, s. 1; 2007, c. 13, s. 23.

Penalty for other offences in community safety zone

(8) Every person who commits an offence in contravention of any of sections 132 to 164, inclusive (except subsections 140 (4) and (6) and subsections 144 (22) to (29), inclusive), section 166, 167, 168 or 169, subsection 176 (3) or section 182 in a community safety zone when it is in effect is liable, on conviction, not to the penalty otherwise applicable, but to a fine of not less than double the minimum fine otherwise applicable and not more than the maximum fine otherwise applicable. 1998, c. 6, s. 1.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    Ouch so not that this is much of an issue for people in jeeps but does that mean the 50+ over 10grand fine becomes 20k? Or is that covered off by the parts that say double the minimum but no more then the max?

Given I think most of us would have a hard time hitting 50 over in anything but a school zone... still I'm curious.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Ouch so not that this is much of an issue for people in jeeps but does that mean the 50+ over 10grand fine becomes 20k? Or is that covered off by the parts that say double the minimum but no more then the max?

Given I think most of us would have a hard time hitting 50 over in anything but a school zone... still I'm curious.
    The way I read the speeding sections is that it is double the set fine (see below for the regular set fines). No maximum mentioned.

From Section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act:

Penalty

(14) Every person who contravenes this section or any by-law or regulation made under this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable, where the rate of speed at which the motor vehicle was driven,

(a) is less than 20 kilometres per hour over the speed limit, to a fine of $3 for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit;

(b) is 20 kilometres per hour or more but less than 30 kilometres per hour over the speed limit, to a fine of $4.50 for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit;

(c) is 30 kilometres per hour or more but less than 50 kilometres per hour over the speed limit, to a fine of $7 for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit; and

(d) is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit, to a fine of $9.75 for each kilometre per hour that the motor vehicle was driven over the speed limit. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 17 (7).

HOWEVER, the above is just for the speeding - not for the racing charge under Section 172 of the Highway Traffic Act, it appears the maximum is the limit.....

From Section 172:

Offence

(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her driver’s licence may be suspended,

(a) on a first conviction under this section, for not more than two years; or

(b) on a subsequent conviction under this section, for not more than 10 years. 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    Ahh OK I see so at 51km over it stops being speeding and starts being racing so the fine becomes $4000-10000 and possibly time.

I get it now, thanks.