Thread: Trucks, trailers, yellow and red stickers on plates

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 42 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs

Trucks, trailers, yellow and red stickers on plates

A standard G license allows a driver to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 11,000kilograms, the trailer not to exceed 4600 kg. so far so good, that covers the license.

The vehicle, if commercial use then it should have a yellow sticker in the window, safety test every year and used to drive or towed up to gvwr, trailer up to 4600 kg max

Now, if Joe Dirt buys a one ton diesel then the MTO puts the FU in FUN, please help me clear up the limitations. My friend got a ticket towing an empty snowmobile trailer With a ford f250 without a red sticker that meant commercial truck and should have had the yellow sticker on the window. If somebody has a red sticker what limitations are on the vehicle and vehicle combo? I heard with a red sticker the combination is limited to 4600kg total
    If no red sticker then vehicle is commercial, needs annual safety test even though it is private owned, or is the only if gvwr is over 4600kg?

My dad and I use almost identical company vehicles, cargo minivans. He has blue plates, I have black, and both are corporate owned vehicles. Should not both be black plates?

What is the restriction on towing a camper trailer, like a fifth wheel? A boat? can they be over the 4600kg combo since it is obvious it is not commercial use?
    Want to see the future, past or the unknown? Learn to be psychic. Ask me how!
    A good time to invest in spf3000 if you live on the NK penninsula.
    Oh November 17, how I fear thee...

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    I've been waiting for the yellow sticker question to come up.
    I've found a bunch of websites that try to clear it up (some of them goverment sites) but no HTA reference.

subscribed
    11 F150 tow rig/ DD
    87 Sami buggy
    99 XJ RIP
    91 XJ RIP
    86 CJ5 RIP

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 44 Secs
    subscribed....I've read some stuff...and heard some stuff...but still confused a little.
    Not that I have a 3/4 ton..but looking to tow my XJ on a float with my HD 1/2ton...
    Also from what I've heard if you have a slide in camper it clasifys your truck as a RV and things change again
    They call me Monkey cause I'm the silver back of the bunch
    87 XJ Lifted with stuff(Zombie Apocalypse Edition)
    87 YJ Lifted with stuff(Wifes)Mall Edition
    99 Ram Toy Hauler Edition
    OF4WD Member 5275 www.4-lo.ca

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 9 Hrs 15 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    On the topic of the Yellow Commercial Sticker,

It is my understanding that if your vehicle has this sticker, you must also preform and have a daily (pre-trip) vehicle inspection done ( just like truck drivers ) and must also enter weigh scales when they are open.

Please clarify this as well, thx

Grimm

I think the only way out is with the camper/rv clause, a trailer weighing ber 4600 kg can be towed as long as it is a fifth wheel design and tandem axle,only. I have to make a toy hauler, which is a camper with the rear compartment being a garage big enough to fit a buggy or a few sleds.

So as long as the tow rig is under 3000 kg it can to a big tandem or up to 10,000pound tandem axle camper.

How much of a the weight of a fifth wheel would be put onto a truck?

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 44 Secs
    I must say i read the TH thread and am no more confused...lol

My Mood
    Paranoid
    I'm hopping to get some actual axle weights for my set up (1/2 ton + small utility trailer or 1/2 ton + tdm car trailer with a samurai) soon, Once I have them I'm going to try to get a hold of the MTO.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    OK, there has been a sticky on this topic since 2009. There was a lot of work done by a few people to get the info on this sticky, but it all comes at the end. There is a lot of erroneous information in the first couple of pages, mixed in with the proper information. Here is the link to that thread: http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...ghlight=yellow

I will attempt to answer the questions here in order. The OP has some statements in there that aren’t correct, and/or need clarifying. I will try my best to keep it all in order. This topic always amazes me how difficult it gets made out to be, when really, it is quite simple.

Here goes:

Licenses

If you are driving a truck only:

Class "G" if the truck is registered for and weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less, or Class "D" if the truck is registered for or weighs more than 11,000 kgs.

If you are driving a truck towing a trailer and/or a motor vehicle:

Class "G" if the truck is registered for and the combination weighs 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs) or less, Effective July 1, 2011: A Recreational Vehicle towed by a pick up truck may exceed 4,600 kg.

Class "D" if the truck is registered for or the combination weighs more than 11,000 kgs,

Class "A" if the weight of the towed vehicle or the combined weight of the towed vehicles exceeds 4,600 kgs (10,141 lbs).

Annual Safety Inspection is required

on a truck, which does not tow a trailer if:
    • the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kgs (9,920 lbs).

on both the truck and towed trailer (other than a house trailer) if:
    • the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kgs, or
    • the actual weight of the truck, when added to the actual weight of the towed trailer or trailers exceeds 4,500 kgs, or
    • the gross vehicle weight rating of the truck, when added to the gross vehicle weight rating of the towed trailer or trailers exceeds 4,500 kgs.

Legal stuff: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_900611_e.htm

Don’t confuse the definition in the Highway Traffic Act of “commercial” as it applies to a style of vehicle, and not whether you are making money from it. A pickup truck by design, is a commercial motor vehicle for the purposes of weights etc.

“commercial motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle having permanently attached thereto a truck or delivery body and includes ambulances, hearses, casket wagons, fire apparatus, buses and tractors used for hauling purposes on the highways; (“véhicule utilitaire”)

Regarding daily trip inspections…. Taken from Ontario Regulation 199/07

Definitions and interpretation
    1. (1) In section 107 of the Act and in this Regulation,
    “commercial motor vehicle” includes a school purposes vehicle but does not include,
    (a) a commercial motor vehicle, other than a bus or school purposes vehicle, having a gross weight or registered gross weight of not more than 4,500 kilograms,
    (b) an ambulance, a cardiac arrest emergency vehicle, a fire apparatus, a hearse, a casket wagon, a mobile crane, a motor home or a vehicle commonly known as a tow truck,
    (c) a commercial motor vehicle operated under a permit and number plates issued under a regulation made under clause 7 (24) (g) or (h) of the Act that is not transporting passengers or goods,
    (d) a commercial motor vehicle operated under the authority of an In-Transit permit issued under Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 (Vehicle Permits) made under the Act,
    (e) a commercial motor vehicle leased for 30 days or less by an individual for the purpose of transporting goods for the individual’s personal use or for the carriage of passengers for no compensation,
    (f) a commercial motor vehicle that is a historic vehicle within the meaning of section 1 of Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 (Vehicle Permits) made under the Act and that has a vehicle permit for a historic vehicle,
    (g) a pick-up truck that,
    (i) is being used for personal purposes without compensation, and
    (ii) is not carrying, or towing a trailer that is carrying, commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes, or
    (h) a bus that is used for personal purposes without compensation;

Please read up on Recreational Vehicle exemptions on this page. There is a TON of good info in there.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...es/index.shtml

As mentioned in the thread from 2009, for specific questions call the MTO. DO NOT call your local drivers and vehicles office, they will not be able to give you the proper information. Call your local MTO inspector.

Taken from the MTO website:
    Ministry of Transportation Contacts
    If the information on this page has not answered your question(s), please contact the Ministry of Transportation Field Enforcement Office located nearest you, at:
    • Durham Region (905) 728-7505 x 105
    • Halton Region (905) 315-7556
    • Hamilton (905) 643-7947 x 200
    • Kenora (807) 468-2781
    • Kingston (613) 544-2220
    • London (519) 873-4286
    • Niagara Region (905) 643-7947 x 200
    • North Bay (705) 497-5411
    • Ottawa (613) 731-1474
    • Peel Region (905) 564-9190
    • Sault Ste. Marie (705) 945-9395
    • Sudbury (705) 566-1414
    • Thunder Bay (807) 473-2021
    • Timmins (705) 497-5411
    • Toronto (416) 325-2642
    • Waterloo (519) 885-4297
    • Windsor (519) 972-9044
    • York Region (905) 713-7324
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    I just called the Windsor office

Take my Advice, if you think you might need an annual safety sticker.

Load up, go get some actual weights.

Find the ownership for your truck, find the GVWR on your driver door. then with all that information call on of those #'s

Give them all your numbers, they know what you need and whats exempt.

I'll give you a hint if your combined actual weight is less then 4500 kgs odds are you dont need the annual yellow stickers

Also if your "close" to needing it, get it, its cheaper to get it then to get a ticket.
    Last edited by BLSXJ; 09-17-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Any or all of the combination, as in point 3 of the "truck towing a trailer" part. When you add the GVWR together (even if it just goes by your axle ratings) - sounds like you need an annual inspection.

Remember, if the truck requires it, anything you tow with that truck will require it as well....as in even if you're not over when towing your small utility trailer, you still require an annual on the utility trailer if your truck requires one for your car hauler.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by BLSXJ View Post
    Ok,,, I'm stil confused here are my numbers

My pick-up has a GVWR of 3266 Kg (7200 lbs) and its actual weight is 2495 Kg (5500 lbs)

I have 2 trailers

#1 is a small utility trailer (4x8) with a 3500lb axle therefore has a GTWR (groos trailer weight rating) of 1587 Kg or 3500lbs (actual weight maybe 300 kg or 600lbs ish empty)

So when I pull this trailer with my pick up my Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) is 3266+1587= 4853 Kg or 10700 lbs
    BUT my actual weight is only about 2800Kg or 6200 lbs

Trailer #2 is a tdm axle car trailer home built with no "registered capacity" but has two 3.5K axles and weighs 680kg or 1500lbs empty but could weigh 3175 Kg (7000lbs) (max axle/tire capacity)
    "Normal" load for this trailer will be my suzuki samurai so trailer + samurai equals 1770 kg (3900lbs)

Once again my gross combined vehicle weight rating exceeds the 4500 kg limit but my actual weight does not.
    Not to be a rule breaking Rudy by posting in this forum but I feel it is a very pertinet piece of information as it pertains to your situation: It should be noted that any trailer with a weight on the ground (axle weight only) under 2800 KG is NOT added to the registered weight of the tow vehicle. If you are towing under 2800 KG, it will not add to your combined weight of truck and trailer(s).
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Not to be a rule breaking Rudy by posting in this forum but I feel it is a very pertinet piece of information as it pertains to your situation: It should be noted that any trailer with a weight on the ground (axle weight only) under 2800 KG is NOT added to the registered weight of the tow vehicle. If you are towing under 2800 KG, it will not add to your combined weight of truck and trailer(s).
    Thank you for the clarification. I know that you have done EXTENSIVE research on this, and probably know more about it than I do!

I hope this has answered any questions, and I have tried to put it in the simplest terms I can. I realize that some of you will have specific questions relating to your own set-ups. I would really suggest that you call one of the numbers that I listed if you are still having difficulty sorting through the legislation.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    sorry about all that,

The windsor person also confirmed the 2800kg rule

Time Online: 5 Days 8 Hrs 22 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs
    Okay lets see if im reading this right, 2800KG = 6172.94Lbs so for simple math if i have a jeep that weighs 4000Lbs and a trailer that is 2000Lbs i am at 6000Lbs of total towed weight and would be under the 2800KG rule so the weight does not get added to my truck weight and i would NOT need a yellow sticker?

also if its axle weight of the trailer it would be even less than 6000Lbs and put it well under the 2800Kg rule right???

I would think that is the scenario that most of us towing would fall under (9000lb truck + 4000lb ish jeep + 2000Lb ish trailer) and the 2800KG rule would mean no sticker
    Just do it until it breaks, then fix it and try again.

Durham4x4
    President

^ This is the reason these threads get so confusing for some people. You are making a lot of assumptions in your statement/question above.

You have given a scenario that is possible, without considering all the factors involved where you might need an annual inspection. I would not assume that MOST people here have the same set-up as yourself.

As has been mentioned in this thread previously, if you have questions about your own tow rig/trailer, please contact the nearest MTO Inspector from the list I provided.

Cheers...

I have tried to make this as simple as possible, but included all the pertinent information at the same time.

There is no need to start another thread IMO as there are some really good ones already. This one for example....

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=75940

I would suggest adding to that one if you have anything further, or don't wish to contact the MTO Inspector near you.

BUT once you have yellow commercial stickers you have to stop at all truck weight scales and have a log book, even if unloaded

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
    BUT once you have yellow commercial stickers you have to stop at all truck weight scales and have a log book, even if unloaded
    Wow. The disinformation and confusion persists.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
    Please, take the time and actually read the lengthy post I made. The last section outlines the EXEMPTIONS for trip inspections, log books etc. Do this before posting erroneous statements that will mislead others.

I really can't make it any clearer than posting the information AND giving you the answers to all your questions.
    Last edited by ON OFFroad; 09-25-2012 at 10:46 AM.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 59 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 56 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Wow. The disinformation and confusion persists.
    x 2 OMG maybe everyone is reading the non english versions ?
    DD 97 TJ After a 92YJ Putting back together 86CJ7 Still got parts from 78 CJ7Miss my 46 CJ2A
    OF4WD # 6900 I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad,I take something for it.

Corduroy pillows are making headlines!