Thread: Multi passenger vehicle licensing requirements?

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs

Multi passenger vehicle licensing requirements?

Sorry, I know this isn't trail related... just an discussion we are having at work and I was hoping you may know.

Is there any special license requirement, to drive a vehicle, that was designed to carry 10 or more passengers? (Dodge Sprinter or Ford Econoline)
    We sometimes drive vehicles that have the ability to carry 11 persons, although they rarely carry more then 8 when we do drive them. There is some concern that those driving need a special license in order to drive?

I can give more info if needed.

Thanks
    insert something witty here

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    We had the same issue at work years ago, and we were told if you are the only person in the vehicle you can drive it with your G license, but if you have even one more person you need to have your F, which is for a 10-24 passenger vehicle. Now I've also heard that if you were to take out one bench so that there are not seats for 10 or more then, the G would also be OK. I'd be interested in some clarification on this also. At the time I did get my F, but have since have let it lapse as we don't have those vehicles anymore. Not sure this helps you, but maybe adds to the question some.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    The short answer to your question is yes you must have at least an "F" licence to drive a vehicle as described below (taken from the Highway Traffic Act definitions).

"bus" means a motor vehicle designed for carrying ten or more passengers and used for the transportation of persons; ("autobus")

This is a link to Ontario Regulation 340/94 which is where the legislation outlines each class of licence. You will find just about EVERYTHING you need to know about licences in this regulation.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_940340_e.htm

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 21 Hrs 14 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 27 Secs
    Quick Question, if you had 10 people in your family you have to have a class F licence? What about drunk buses at x-mas ? I thought that you had to have a special licence if you where charging for the service. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_940340_e.htm

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    The short answer to your question is yes you must have at least an "F" licence to drive a vehicle as described below (taken from the Highway Traffic Act definitions).
    "bus" means a motor vehicle designed for carrying ten or more passengers and used for the transportation of persons; ("autobus")
    This is a link to Ontario Regulation 340/94 which is where the legislation outlines each class of licence. You will find just about EVERYTHING you need to know about licences in this regulation.
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_940340_e.htm

Hope this helps!
    it helps a great deal, thanks.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by rikker001 View Post
    Quick Question, if you had 10 people in your family you have to have a class F licence? What about drunk buses at x-mas ? I thought that you had to have a special licence if you where charging for the service. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_940340_e.htm
    You're correct, however I believe the OP was talking about his work.

Here's the wording for the exemption you are referring to from the regulation I quoted....

(5) A Class F motor vehicle, other than an ambulance or car pool vehicle as defined in the Public Vehicles Act, with a designed seating capacity for not more than 11 passengers that is used for personal purposes without compensation shall be deemed to be a Class G motor vehicle. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 2 (5).

Hope this clears it up!