Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A tale of two jeeps - the outlaw

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 44 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    You'll need to get a proper power steering pulley tool, it removes and installs the pulley, see if you can rent one from crappy tire or if PA has one. It's the only way to remove and install the pulley on that style of pump. It works slick and it'll take about 15 minutes to R&R the pulley.

'90 YJ Wrangler with the mighty 2.5L , 2.5" lift, and about 250K miles on her
    '10 F-150 Supercrew, 2003 TJ 4.0 (FOR SALE!!!)
    Started the 1 ton/3 fitty build, 3more lugs are good right??
    I like soup....... and beavers

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 45 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzieGee View Post
    You'll need to get a proper power steering pulley tool, it removes and installs the pulley, see if you can rent one from crappy tire or if PA has one. It's the only way to remove and install the pulley on that style of pump. It works slick and it'll take about 15 minutes to R&R the pulley.
    Just keep in mind that the internal threads on the old ps pump need to be clean enought to thread a bolt into it.
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 23 Hrs 10 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 3 Secs

A tale of two jeeps - the outlaw

May 2-4 of 20?? Lol looking good Chris
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 44 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    it's a new pump so the thread should be mint to pull the old pulley on.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    for the pitman arm i have done lots of stuck pitman arms. just cut round spot about 1/4 turn from the arm part on both sides with a little 3 inch cut off tool, if you go into the shaft a tiny bit its ok it wont hurt anything. then just pull it off with the puller if it doesn't come off easy
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 2 Hrs 30 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 13 Secs

Thanks for the advice guys!

I didn't know the PS pulley was press on, I saw it had a hex opening at the end of the shaft and I could even see the threads, it was covered in so much gunk it looked like a bolt. I picked up a puller/installer from PA and had it done in no time.

Cutting the pitman arm - that's genius!! I have been pulling, lubing, heating, tapping with a 3lb sledge and I think it's moved about 1/32" but still on there tighter than hobo stink. I feel like a tard that I didn't think of it.

I got out to the shop for a little tonight and was able to get the rear drive shaft torn apart and rebuilt with new joints.

I installed it and thought the angle was pretty awesome, the springs have a 2* shim and I think making shorter rear shackles did the trick, should be smooth sailing.

Then I had a fawk it moment.. I went to work out my new rear shocks... And some dumbass (me) put the offset for the muffler on the passenger side, so there was the turndown about 1" from the shock. Probably would have rode fine but flexed out it would contact for sure... So I had to pull out the cat/muffler, cut all of my tacks and then flip the muffler and re-weld the turndown. The little nipple thingy for the cat now points down Instead of up.. But I don't think that matters. Another learning experience that will be invaluable for the next project.

Still gunning for May 24 of this year.

I just have:

Remove old and install new pitman arm
    Fuel pump line
    Install fuel filler and tank lines
    All of the lights (head, tail, turn) to wire up
    Rear brakes
    Shift cable
    Sand/paint/install windshield
    Paint and install fenders
    Paint and install rock rails
    Weld lower seatbelt bungs into roll bar and install rollbar
    Tunes
    Safety
    Drive the ever loving snot out of it

So it's getting there, a couple good weekends jamming on it and I should be good to go.
    Last edited by pnut; 05-01-2014 at 12:47 AM.
    1957 Chev 3100 task force (in proggress)
    1991/87/89/95 YJ - The OutlaW SOLD
    Build Linky: http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...roject-Big-Red

Follow me on instagram @pnutbilt_fab

My Mood
    Twisted

Thanks again H3lzSn1p3r for the advice, I cut a slot in the pitman arm right at the front, came off in 5 min, including the cutting- I feel like a twat waffle for not thinking of that in the first place

New drag link angle, should be t!ts

I also finished up the fuel line at the front going from the line from the tank under the motor and into the pump. Didn't snag and pics of that tho.

I also started mocking up the fuel filler.. Stupid jeep.. I measured the ports on the tank and bought some fancy fuel hose that was 1.25" and 1" but the bloody filler neck is 3/4 and 1... So the line won't work. Guess I'll be hitting quadratec for some OEM replacements

My Mood
    Twisted

Got out for a couple hours today. Got my rear shocks mounted thanks to some sweet tabs from TMR.

I ended up going with some Rancho shocks (had to paint them black to match the front), 9500's and they are actually front shocks from. 2000 S10 4x4 with the ZR1 package. 10" compressed, 18" extended. At ride height they are around 13" so right in the sweet spot. Should work mint.

I also have half of the rear brakes done... Except when I opened the box o' parts from Rock Auto I noticed I had 2 driver side adjustment lever kits... (FAWK!), so I need to pick up a passenger one. I also painted the drums to hopefully prevent the rust.

Lastly, I got around to wrapping up my shift linkage and installing my 'console' and shift knob. It's a little clunky.. But it'll do the trick for now until I come up with something else.

Getting there... I'll try and get the adjustment kit for the brakes tomorrow and wrap those up. I also ordered new fuel filler lines from Quadratec, they should be here Tuesday so I can finish up the fuel system... Then I may actually be able to move this pig under its own power!!

Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Days 6 Hrs 48 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 8 Secs
    coming along nicely..youll be out for a rip soon!!!!
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeo View Post
    coming along nicely..youll be out for a rip soon!!!!
    That's the plan - I'm hoping it will be out for the inaugural rip around the block next weekend... sans roll bar, seatbelts, windshield, fenders... etc...

At this point, here's the to-do list:

Finish up brakes/bleed brakes
    Install fuel filler
    Address timing so it runs for more than 5 minutes
    Install/wire all the lights (parking, tail, head)
    Weld new seat belt bungs in roll bar
    Weld rear spreader bar into roll bar (mount the wakeboard speakers)
    TUNES
    Install roll bar/seatbelts
    Sand and paint windshield, hood, fenders, roll bar
    Install windshield
    Install new ujoints in front shaft/install front shaft

...and I think that's really it to at least get it road worthy then I have the rock rails to finish up and install and the LED light bar to build a mount for and install, and then figure out what I'm doing for a tailgate.. but that can come later.

Come hell or high water.. it'll be ready for June.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures or video to accompany this post... but.. IT WORKS!!!!!!

I started it last night and played around with the mixture screws on the carb until it sounded nice and would run beauty at idle, then I played with the dizzy until it ran smooth and would handle a crack of the throttle nicely, locked it all down and took it out for a rip around the block.

FAWK YEA!!! apparently a rear locker and wet pavement are a beauty combination for burnouts on 33's

Now... putting it back together.

My Mood
    Twisted

Got out for a bit tonight to tackle some wiring and wrap up the cooling system.

My stock rad overflow wasn't going to work... So I had to improvise. I was doing some work on my sump pump on the weekend, and it came to me.

ABS pipe baby!!

Step 1, install Home Depot 'T' bracket, I ended up putting some 3/4" hose on the vertical t parts to add some cushion to the pipe, then cut about 16" of 2" pipe, add cap on one end, add clean out on the other, drill a vent hole, drill a hole for the overflow hose, add some hose clamps and boom - custom rad overflow for less than $20

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by pnut View Post
    I feel like a twat waffle
    WTF Dude!!
    That's a cool idea for the overflow I would add some clear tubing for a level site if it was mine.
    Last edited by lemon; 05-22-2014 at 01:42 AM.
    I thought life handed you lemons..... who the phuk is throwing them at my head !!!

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 49 Secs
    Nice idea on the ABS pipe, but just be warned that ABS is only good for 180 degrees with no pressure and 100 degrees with pressure (that's in F). Just watch for leaks and cracking, as an overflow it might work though.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by tealj View Post
    Nice idea on the ABS pipe, but just be warned that ABS is only good for 180 degrees with no pressure and 100 degrees with pressure (that's in F). Just watch for leaks and cracking, as an overflow it might work though.
    I was talking to a plumber buddy who said the same thing - he's going to snag me all of the bits I need in CPVC so I can rebuild it and not have to worry about the temps. Last night it seemed to be cool to the touch.. so we'll keep an eye on it and see how it fairs.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap aluminum water bottle neck threads are often let 3/4, JB weld in the others you need or use bulk head fitting and you'll have a cheap aluminum overflow bottle.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    What Josh said. Not exactly what you're doing but the ideas there http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...nder-15-a.html
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Thanks Curt. I knew there was a link for that somewhere. Just too lazy to find it!

My Mood
    Twisted

Thanks guys, down the road I'll definitely look into that, way cooler than ABS. My wife has a pink and purple poka dotted bottle that would be just the ticket!

Well, it's coming!

Got the roll bar painted

As well as the windshield and hood, my wife was so against keeping the sexy mural on the hood she offered to sand it for me haha

Starting to wish I didn't go with bright orange shock boots...

Also got the first coat of etching primer on the fenders tonight, they'll be going hammered black to match the grill.

So now... Time to get back to the wiring... I have no brake lights or marker lights... And I have no idea why. So that should be a blast to figure out.

Find those gremlins, add some clearance lights on the front and a license plate light and this puppy will be ready for a safety!!

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    looking good!
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.