Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: TJ6 Build

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 2 Hrs 30 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by tealj View Post
    I ordered it from Amazon, and other than knocking as much crud out and blowing it out with air, I didn't do anything else. It's a little messy, but not too bad and so far I'm happy with it, but time will tell how well it really works. It seems to get into all the little cracks, which is the whole idea, I actually meant to pull out my little boroscope and see how it looks in the frame, but haven't had time yet.

Actually the whole Jeep went off to the sandblasters today to have the rear half of the frame blasted and the frame epoxy coated, should have it back on Wednesday.
    Right on - thanks. Mine is out being blasted as well.. and it seems dumb (to me) to spend all of this time on rustproofing the outside when the inside can still rust.
    1957 Chev 3100 task force (in proggress)
    1991/87/89/95 YJ - The OutlaW SOLD
    Build Linky: http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...roject-Big-Red

Follow me on instagram @pnutbilt_fab

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 50 Secs
    Ok, since I dropped off most of the Jeep at the sandblasters last week, and I won't be getting it back until Wednesday, or so I thought I'd get back to the rear body section. I pulled all the stuff that's been accumulating on it for the last couple of months off, removed the seats and seat frame and moved it to the working side of the garage. I then thoroughly scuffed up the surfaces with a red scotch brite pad and cleaned it top and bottom with POR's degreaser and surface prep, along with rinsing off with water, luckily the weather was great yesterday so I could leave the garage door open. Then this morning I coated the underside and wheel wells with POR 15 and then this afternoon I did the top with bedliner, Duponts Kevlar stuff. We'll see after everything dries whether another coat is needed.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 14 Hrs 50 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    Damn... Better get my a$$ moving!

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    looks good nice work in such a short time frame
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

So I got the Jeep back from the sandblasters this week, so I pulled the rear axle back out again and re-assembled it, for the last time. Changed the pinion seal, painted and installed the diff cover and locker actuator guard, installed the new axle shafts and put the brakes and all the lines back on, plus filled it with fluid. Got the spring relocate brackets back on, as well as the shocks and new springs. Then the fuel tank went back in with the new rear antirock sway bar. For now I just have the upper arms attached until I get the t-cases back in, then I'll put the crossmember in and the lower arms. Still need to finish up the fuel line plumbing and wiring, and bleed the rear brakes, then on to the body work, but at least it's starting to get back together.

looks good all painted up

The only problem with the nice clean frame is that all the other stuff looks bad next too it. Oh well, nothing the first wheeling trip won't take care of.

chassis coat rattle cans from princess auto fix everything

Some more progress over the last couple of days, did a little work on the Dana 300, ran and bled the brakes, ran the fuel line, charcoal canister line and the fuel pump wires then started up the Jeep for the first time in months, didn't run it too long as there's no exhaust right now, but at least I know the fuel system works. Installed the 231 case and ran the shifter cable, it works real nice. Then finally lowered the body for the first time to see how much more trimming I need to do still.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 21 Hrs 54 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    Your cable set up looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by A-DAM JEEP View Post
    Your cable set up looks great!
    Yeah, it seems to work good, I just hope it's got enough clearance to the shifter tower on the trans, if not I'll have to move the bracket on the t-case shifter to the other side.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 21 Hrs 54 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    I've got mine coming in from the back.

I tried that but it had to do a real weird S bend and I would have needed a longer cable to make that work, this was a lot simpler, at least I think it was.

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 20 Hrs 9 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 2 Secs
    Did you increase your lift at all or just change to long arms?

Sorry tool_guy, I was on vacation last week, but the lift is basically the same, put new coils all around, front are AEV 3" with a 3/4" spacer and the rear is TJ unlimited 3" dual rate (stiffer than 3" TJ) with the AEV spring relocator brackets that add about 1-1/4". So I have about 4" of suspension lift and 1-1/4" of body lift.

Did manage to get into the garage last night and put my new shift rails into the 300, ended up having the rear rail notched so I can go into FWD 4Lo and had a whole new front rail machined out of stainless bar stock. They made a pattern so if anyone needs one, I can get more made. I'll post picture later when I get home. Tonight I want to get the t-case finished and installed, but we'll see if time allows.
    Pics from yesterday.

Also made a wedge out of one of the old shift rods to help put the detent springs in place

With the NWF shift plates mocked in place

Bolted in with loctite on the threads
    Last edited by tealj; 04-22-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Got the 300 all done, although with a couple small issues, and installed. Put in the lower control arm crossmember and arms as well as adjusted them for length. Also put the rear driveshaft in place. So basically got the rear end buttoned up.
    First the issue with the 300, the rebuild kit I got from Advanced adapters came with a new intermediate shaft, except that the shaft is a few thou larger and wouldn't fit in the case or in the intermediate gear without a lot of effort. Also as can be seen the o-ring groove is way too small to fit the supplied o-ring.

So I ended up installing the gear with the old shaft, which was still in decent shape, so not too big a deal.

Here is a pic of the single lip seal the kit comes with (right) and the double lip seal I bought (left). I ended up doubling up on the seals just to make sure I had no leaks with the single lip on the outside to act more like a wiper seal for dirt.

One

and two

Everything installed

Will have some interference with my old tranny crossmember and the shifters, so that's got to change, not exactly sure what I'm going to do, but I have a couple of ideas.

Ugg, last night was a two steps forward 3 steps back kind of night. Put some better tube with quick connects on the sight tubes for the t-cases, got the shifters for the 300 hooked up, although they are really stiff, but no oil yet so that might be part of it. Then I filled the 231 up and it started to drip back out between the 300 and adapter ring and then had a Homer moment when I realized I hadn't put any silicone between the ring and 300, so I took everything apart again. Tonight I hope to get it all back together, but first I'll peak inside the 300 again to see if there's anything preventing the shifters from working smoothly.
    Last edited by tealj; 04-24-2013 at 08:28 AM.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs

TJ6 Build

D300 shifter are always stiff. Don't rip it apart, you won't find anything.

A d300 requires moving slowly to shift or turning the yokes. It aligns the gears and shift collars so they can move freely.

Sent from iThingy
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    D300 shifter are always stiff. Don't rip it apart, you won't find anything.

A d300 requires moving slowly to shift or turning the yokes. It aligns the gears and shift collars so they can move freely.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I thought too, but seeing as I had it out, again, I thought I'd pull the inspection cover.

OK, so got the t-cases buttoned up, the rear suspension back together and no leaks this time. Driveshafts are in and the tranny crossmember is removed, just have to decide on what direction to go. The weekend was spent on installing the roll bar and various bars as well as putting the new Bestop NX softop on and making sure it fits.

Then I started welding up the body and fitting my corners.

It's not the prettiest but it will all get covered anyway.