Thread: How do I get an ownership for my boat?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

How do I get an ownership for my boat?

This is in continuation of a PM I sent to the SAVE officer. Hopefully it will help others in the future.

My Dad recently gave me a 1964 boat that was originally registered in the US. It's been up here for years, but Dad never registered it and now it's being handed to me. I want to come into compliance and obtain a proper ownership. The MOT offices do not have an answer for this. The Service Canada receptionist gave me the standard form to fill out for a Pleasurecraft license (Hull numbers) and was not helpful in answering my questions for an ownership.

How do I proceed here? Do boats even get an ownership? This vessle is 4.5m (15') and uses an outboard motor up to 45HP if it makes a difference. It does have the manufacturer's data plate still. Can I get an afitdavit signed to swear I own the boat legally and have an ownership issued?
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Deleted for clarity
    Last edited by Noltz; 10-15-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Similar to what the nice lady said at the MOT office. She suggested I go to Hamilton International Airport customs office and ask there... but I'll wait and see if Onoffroad chimes in this weekend.

I got a homebuilt ownership for the trailer. A hurdle is that my father isn't well and cannot travel, so my chain of custody isn't easy to prove. I know he bought it from a friend in the US. There's some photocopies of RIV forms (they were useless when trying to register the trailer, originals only accepted and those are long gone) that prove it was imported and taxes paid but from there it went way North for 11 years. Now it's back, Dad can't use it anymore, and I'd like to fix it up and take him out on it next summer.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Transport Canada now deals with vessel licencing. Service Canada still has the forms, as they were doing it for a short while until TC took it over again. Canada Customs hasn't done vessel licencing for years.

Every vessel over 9.9 hp must be licenced. If you could get away with only using a 9.9 you'd be fine.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...cence-3212.htm

This link will take you to the TC page. There is a lot of good info there, including contact info. If you still are not having any luck, I will try to sort it out for you with my contacts.

I am extremely busy right now, so it may take me a while, please bear with me.

Let me know.

Cheers
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Nope, a 9.9 won't do. But you answered my question; a Transport Canada License is the ownership. I took a photo of the manufacturers data plate (May also be a compliance notice) because the HIN is only 4 digits long, but I included that photo when I sent off my License application. I'll post the results here.

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Nope, a 9.9 won't do. But you answered my question; a Transport Canada License is the ownership. I took a photo of the manufacturers data plate (May also be a compliance notice) because the HIN is only 4 digits long, but I included that photo when I sent off my License application. I'll post the results here.
    Perfect, sounds like you're on the right track.

Let me know if I can help with anything further.