Thread: It needs to be... BIGGER!

Time Online: 13 Hrs 21 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

It needs to be... BIGGER!

I think my Jeep looks pretty good... but I also think it looks like a Tonka Truck toy. So....

1 or 2 inch lift?
    Suspension or body lift?

Discuss! Educate me! What should I do?

Also, that brush guard has to go because I need to put a winch on there. I guess that means I have to find a spot to put my trail lights too. Ooooh so much to do!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006JeepTJ.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	85742
    2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Days 18 Hrs 18 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Secs
    Depends on your budget. Do a 2" suspension lift first. Body lift is nice but only good for that extra little bit of clearance for tires IMO. The higher you get that belly pan, the better.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 19 Secs
    First off I like to ask a few Questions...
    1: How long have you had the Jeep
    2: Do you Offroad it now and or intend to in the future
    3: What size tires do you want because the tires usually dictate the lift height
    4: Are you prepared for the Fuel economy to drop off worse than it is now
    5: Are you prepared to spend the money to correct or improve your fuel economy back to stock
    6: Are you prepared for a Rougher Ride because it can happen depending on the lift choice

I ask because I have seen a lot of people lifting their jeeps to just mall crawl or they go wheeling and are like ok that was fun but I do not want to do that anymore and then sell off the Jeep and lose a lot of money because they didnt like jeep because they did not do all the necessary things to the jeep that they should have if they knew better....
    Or they hate the loss of Power and Fuel economy or the ride is too stiff or too soft...

I like to recommend people not do anything major for at least a year of owning and driving the Jeep, Also if you want to Offroad the Jeep I suggest you take it Offroad and see what the jeep can do and cannot do and to see what kind of wheeling you like or do not like then after some firsthand experience you can make a much better decision for what suits your actual needs rather than just throwing stuff on because you were told to start with this or that...
    1989 Jeep MJ: 4.7L Stroker, 4WD Swap, 97+Conversion, RC Long Arm Upgrade Kit, 35x12.5x18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, WJ D30, WK SRT8 Rear D44 w/approx. 8" Lift
    1983 Jeep CJ7: SOLD

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    ^ This!

I agree with Alex that keeping it stock for the first year or so is a good idea. In its stock form, the Jeep is capable of moves that will trigger a pucker-factor for the new wheeler. That being said, I had my Jeep for 6 days before the 2" budget boost went in, and 4 months until she saw mud (bought her in Winter, had to wait for "opening" day), so I don't see the harm in minor modifications. A 2" budget boost + sway-bar disconnects is a good start. You'll be surprised what that will let you do off-road. Need more? Add a 1" body lift, 33's and a tummy-tuck. The 1" body lift will not only allow slightly larger tires, but also allow the tummy-tuck. This should give you a few good years of wheeling.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 8 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 4 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 34 Secs
    Joe...you wheel?

lol.....carry on!
    03 Rubicon with stuff to make it gooder

"Bite my Shiny Metal ass!"

Retread #19

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 33 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Money View Post
    Joe...you wheel?

lol.....carry on!
    Joe who?
    sorry thread jack
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Fuel consumption is already pretty awful with this beast. We're averaging 14 liters per 100 km on highway driving and 17 liters per 100 km in city driving. Helps that we have a standard transmission Jeep but it's still pretty bad. No kids means more money to spend on the Jeep though! We can't do anything with it until spring. We would not have bought the Jeep if we didn't intend to take it off-roading - I laugh at people who buy Jeeps because they think they look 'cool' and then complain about the fuel economy and they never take it off-roading. First on our list of things to do is get a roof rack for the hard top, clean up the fenders and making them black again, repainting the body armor for the rear lights to black, getting a new front brush guard, getting a winch, and then, last but not least, doing a 1 inch lift and getting nicer tires. I'm giving it a year and a half to do all the changes. I'll have to remember to take pics and share them here!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs

Re: It needs to be... BIGGER!

Keep in mind when you put on the winch depending on what you get, you may want some small spacers on the front springs to get them back to stock hight
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 19 Secs
    14L per 100KM is not terrible at all and actually more like a normal stock jeep which is around 500KM per tank...

People always say fuel economy means nothing but with fuel costs rising there is not much of a choice but to start watching the consumption...

My CJ7 on 35's with a 3 Speed auto did 12L per 100KM with the same size fuel tank as a TJ so spend your money wisely and stay off the throttle and you can get better fuel mileage even with much Lift kit and larger tires....

Having said all that...
    Since your only considering a 1-2" lift which is only good for a better fitting 31" tire, I would say go no more then a 2" Body lift and Leave the suspension
    as is till you know what you can and want to do with the jeep down the road...

Your not planning on doing anything till spring so try to get out to some meet and greets if there are any going on ove the winter so you can see first hand what
    others are running and can actually ask the owner why they decided on that setup and that will help you out in the long run...

And Remember that if you do not do anything to correct the fuel consumption after a lift and larger tires your 14-17 Per 100KM (425-500KPT) is going to be more like 21-24L Per 100KM (300-350KPT) which gets expensive to drive as a Daily Driver...

Okay, TONS to go through. I think I'll be reaching out to you guys for guidance as I go. My to-do list for the Jeep starts getting items ticked off of it starting tomorrow (getting a roof rack and ski rack installed on the hard top) and getting that chrome brush guard removed. I'll take pics of the progress and update as I go. Thanks!

Time Online: 4 Days 1 Hr 15 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs
    I would give it a 2" suspension lift and go with a 31" tire, leave the gearing as it is. This really shouldn't hurt fuel mileage especially on the highway, it will cut the revs a bit and should make it better by a little on the highway. Hans Starke (RIP) once told me how 'kids' that thought they knew everything there was to know about Jeeps and off roading would come into his store and buy all kinds of stuff that they really didn't need and figured they could go anywhere afterwards offroad with their Jeeps were really surprised when Hans pulled up with his stock 4cyl TJ and could go alot of places where the so called know it alls thought they could but couldn't. Keep it simple were his words to me when it comes to building a Jeep. They are quite capable the way they are, they don't need all this expensive stuff.
    I bought an '06 Rubicon last June, it was bone stock, all i did to it was give it 2" of suspension lift and adjustable rear lower control arms and a cv rear driveshaft, plain and simple. It now looks the way it should have when it was new and is even more capable now.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep4752 View Post
    I would give it a 2" suspension lift and go with a 31" tire, leave the gearing as it is. This really shouldn't hurt fuel mileage especially on the highway, it will cut the revs a bit and should make it better by a little on the highway. Hans Starke (RIP) once told me how 'kids' that thought they knew everything there was to know about Jeeps and off roading would come into his store and buy all kinds of stuff that they really didn't need and figured they could go anywhere afterwards offroad with their Jeeps were really surprised when Hans pulled up with his stock 4cyl TJ and could go alot of places where the so called know it alls thought they could but couldn't. Keep it simple were his words to me when it comes to building a Jeep. They are quite capable the way they are, they don't need all this expensive stuff.
    I bought an '06 Rubicon last June, it was bone stock, all i did to it was give it 2" of suspension lift and adjustable rear lower control arms and a cv rear driveshaft, plain and simple. It now looks the way it should have when it was new and is even more capable now.
    I like the way you think. What you're saying does make sense. We have stock body on it and plain old all season tires and she was totally fine this weekend bumming around on unassumed roads. The only thing that was an issue at some points was clearance - which is where the lift would come in handy. The thing already is a tank as is.
    Last edited by jeep-girl; 01-04-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added quote

Time Online: 4 Days 1 Hr 15 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs
    My point exactly. Yeah you can lift it 6" if you wanted to but you'll just go over higher objects and 'think' you'll need even more lift.

Okay, another question, this time about bumpers:

I have the stock front bumper with a brush guard that I hate. Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/5MQqv. I want to take off that chrome brush guard and get a stinger or a different brush guard and a winch on there. I'm confused as to whether or not I'll need a new bumper to accommodate a new stinger/guard though. How do I find out? I'm looking at http://justjeeps.com and it's not really clear what attaches to the stock bumper and what doesn't. If possible I'd prefer to use the stock bumper.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 19 Hrs 18 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 10 Secs
    You can get a simple winch plate that will bolt on with the new bumper.
    http://www.justjeeps.com/bmy_search....ch%20-%20Mount
    If you like the Stinger look you could scrap the stock bumper and buy this
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...inger-for-sale!!!
    Last edited by BullwinkleTJ; 01-04-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    OF4WD #6222