Thread: Pinion bearing

Time Online: 9 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 1 Min 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 12 Secs

Pinion bearing

Hey all. Does anyone know a good place that I cam get my pinion bearing changed in the front diff ??

It has play and is giving me serious vibrations. I can maybe do myself but am worried about shims and such. Haven't completely torn front diff apart before.

Thanks

O it's a Dana 30 with 4.56 gearing

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Check to make sure it is not simpley the pinion nut backing off. Frequently, this is the issue....especially if someone has been in there changing pinion seal or doing a gear swap. There is a crush collar that is a one time use item that sets the preload. Often, there is an attempt to reuse it which will result in inadequate pinion bearing preload and the nut slowly backing off. The castelated locking pinion nut is also intended to be a one time use item as well.

A quick way to verify if this is the problem is to unbolt the driveshaft at the pinion and try to tighten up the nut. If by tightening the nut you remove some or all of the slop, it is most probable that you only need to replace the collar and be on your way.

You will need a new pinion nut, crush collar and pinion seal to do the job properly. It is not hard to do and you can do it yourself.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 9 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 1 Min 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 12 Secs

Re: Pinion bearing

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Check to make sure it is not simpley the pinion nut backing off. Frequently, this is the issue....especially if someone has been in there changing pinion seal or doing a gear swap. There is a crush collar that is a one time use item that sets the preload. Often, there is an attempt to reuse it which will result in inadequate pinion bearing preload and the nut slowly backing off. The castelated locking pinion nut is also intended to be a one time use item as well.

A quick way to verify if this is the problem is to unbolt the driveshaft at the pinion and try to tighten up the nut. If by tightening the nut you remove some or all of the slop, it is most probable that you only need to replace the collar and be on your way.

You will need a new pinion nut, crush collar and pinion seal to do the job properly. It is not hard to do and you can do it yourself.
    I'll check that for sure. Thanks a lot

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2