Thread: has anyone ever done this?

Time Online: 31 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

has anyone ever done this?

I've been considering an engine swap for my YJ, and I wanted to do something extreme. So my question is this, has anyone ever put a 5.9L cummins into a jeep? If so, what are some of the pitfalls I should be aware of and just basically what was involved. Also what did you find to be a good transmission choice and so on. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    the 3.9 cummins (4bt)is the biggest i would go the 5.9 (6bt) would tear the frame up it is not practical just cool i would not recomend it
    to make it work under the jeep would be extensive fabrication and close to 10k to build axles, suspetion and a frame that would be suitable for the 6bt

if u wnat a trans a 6bt in any situation go for the nv4500 with the nv241HD transfer case that came behind it in the 2nd gen rams indestuctibal
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Yes, it has been done...and it is a poor choice for repowering a YJ. But this is one of those situations where if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't attempt it.

The 5.9 B series cummins is very long, very tall and VERY heavy to be swapping into a YJ. Considering that this engine can weigh around 1100 LBS fully dressed, it weighs at least twice as much as most any other good swap candidate. The size and weight really does kill the deal. Unless you are into completely cutting your YJ up and building it around a power train that is realistically far too large.

I have no idea what the intended usage of your jeep would be so post up a little more info.
    Last edited by Stickybongsmoking; 12-10-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs

Put the YJ body on an old Dodge. Heee haw.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    I actually saw a video of a 6B stuffed into a YJ. You could tell is was ultra front heavy. Those things will crush a D30 and mess up the frame what-good. I think a 6BT/NV4500/NP241 would be wonderful in a J20. 4BT is a popular swap, some Isuzu diesels and Mercedes OM617 are showing up a lot too.
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs

Re: has anyone ever done this?

Mbrp put a 6bt into a 4dr jk... Then stretched the body to add a pickup style bed behind the hard top on a ram frame... And the motor still looks over sized. I think it's just too big for a YJ... That is if you care about practicality. If however all you care about is cool factor... Have at er and remember to post pics
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 2 Wks 11 Hrs 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs

Didn't MBRP just put a Jk body on a pick up frame and throw a d60 under the front

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs

I wouldn't say "just" but yes. It was called project rattle trap if you want to hunt it down

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Simply look at pictures of a dodge PU with a gasser and then the cummins. Those two pictures will answer any questions you have.

Better yet buy me a fuel filter or an oil filter and we can change those and see how much space there is on a full size truck engine bay with the cummins.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 16 Hrs 41 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    Well... I can tell you that I have done a fair bit of measuring of the 6bt for a diesel conversion we are doing on a Dodge Durango, and the 6bt is massive and heavy. Good luck getting one into a yj. Not to start a diesel pissing contest, but we ended up
    using a Ford 7.3 PSD in the Dodge. If i were to do a diesel in my yj i think i would personally use the drivetrain from a 3.0 crd GC or a crd liberty. You could just skip the engine swap and headaches and buy my YJ, it's already done...lol
    It isn't a diesel, but it's an injected, stroked and supercharged Ford 5L in a 90 YJ.
    1980 CJ7- kinda...

Time Online: 31 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    So my understanding is that it can't be done as well as shouldn't be done. I don't think that its impossible, it will be a lot of work for sure. How much length does a person have front to back in an empty engine bay? I need about 5 ft. from the back of the block to the front of the intercooler. I could loose a bit with an electric fan instead of belt drive, and I could relocate the radiator if needed. If I could avoid it I don't want to have to alter the firewall.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 16 Hrs 41 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    Yes, it can be done. Anything is possible with enough time, money and motivation. Personally, I think once you have replaced the diffs,suspension, lengthened and reinforced the frame plus all the other stuff involved you will end up with a jeep that is extremely nose heavy and pretty much useless off road. Besides the length and weight of the 6bt, it's also quite tall, you are going to need a fair bit of lift to keep the oil pan off the ground.
    I have done lots of engine conversons over the years, everything from 4bt/6bt swaps to V8's in civics. I just think you are in for a world of hurt with this conversion and the pros dont outweigh the cons... I think you should do it, just post lots of pics.

Just my $.02.. Good luck.
    Last edited by stitch; 12-12-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy3841 View Post
    So my understanding is that it can't be done as well as shouldn't be done. I don't think that its impossible, it will be a lot of work for sure. How much length does a person have front to back in an empty engine bay? I need about 5 ft. from the back of the block to the front of the intercooler. I could loose a bit with an electric fan instead of belt drive, and I could relocate the radiator if needed. If I could avoid it I don't want to have to alter the firewall.

Anything can be done. But should it be done and why is what we are contemplating with you - not whether is possible or not. It has already been done before. This swap idea is not new.

The number one thing to consider is how much power the 5.9 CTD you swap in will be making. And second would be, what are you using it for? A 5.9 CTD is capable of a very wide range of power levels. It will effortlessly generate a very damaging level of power for a jeep. The frame is not strong enough. The whole powertrain would need to be swapped out and the axles and suspension won't handle the power, either.

See where this is going? The whole jeep will have to get swapped out. LOL And no kidding, either. There is a reason you see a jeep tub grafted onto a truck rolling chassis in order to manage a 5.9 swapped in and not fold the jeep in half - it is simpler and easier than trying to turn a YJ into something it is not.

Straight up, there is not enough room in a YJ engine bay for a 5.9. And if you want it intercooled like a proper CTD swap should be, you really, really won't have enough room. Cutting out the firewall for the last 1-2 cylinders to slide under the cowl is your only hope. And then the transmission and transfer ccase are too far back too fit a reasonable length rear shaft without pushing the axle back a LOT. In addition to that, managing the height of this engine will be a challenge. It will have to sit very high in the engine bay to gain all the undercarriage clearance you can. And you will probably need a 4" lift to gain some axle clearance with some good bump stops to restrict compression travel.

So, what are you intending to use this Jeep for? Airport tug? A stationary monument to sinility? Boat anchor? Because those would be the best applications I can think of for a YJ with a 5.9 CTD in it.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    CTD Nut pretty much hit the nail on the head. I guess you have to ask yourself if the desired function (???) is worth the cost (money, time, energy, etc.) of the 6BTAA swap.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 4 Days 8 Hrs 39 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs

I'm on my phone and can't link for shit, but go to kijiji in Sudbury, Ontario. Search for diesel within 50 kms and you will wee a 5.9 Cummins in a yj on 1 tons for sale for $3500. It has got a few guys off of Greatlakes4x4 thinking of making the drive to buy it...
    Ok try http://saultstemarie.kijiji.ca/c-car...AdIdZ435742055 ...
    Last edited by BigBird; 12-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    It's a '96 YJ too... that's pretty rare!

Time Online: 4 Days 8 Hrs 39 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    It's a '96 YJ too... that's pretty rare!
    Closer to non-existent????

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Closer to non-existent????
    There were no 1996 model year Jeep Wranglers.[6] YJs produced in early 1996 were sold as 1995 model years, but featured a few new parts not seen on any earlier YJ. This included the new TJ bumpstops on the hood (rubber boots vs the traditional U-bars), reinforced tailgate hinges, and some even had rear TJ bumpers. Some also got the newly tuned I6 that was designed to run quieter in preparation for the TJ.
    ^cut and paste

rare but there !!! i guess they were using up old stock LOL and the rarest of them all had one round and one square light LOL