Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fun in the snow

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 31 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    Until you were called out you posted this thread about your cool wheeling trip and how much fun you had in there. Now all of a sudden you were "helping out" yet for some reason still "drove up and down a hill" in an area you knew damn well was off limits and illegal for you to be in.
    I take major issue with people like you entering areas that YOU KNOW are prohibited, driving around in them, taking pictures of driving around in ILLEGAL OFF LIMITS areas, and then posting said pictures on a public website while bragging about what a good time you had. It makes our sport look bad and may limit MY and OTHERS access to legitimate trails in the future.

Go check out the OF4WD (www.of4wd.com) and look at the great things these people (volunteers) do to keep our trails open. When it comes time to negotiate with the MNR for our access people like you make it harder for us to say that we obey the laws and "tread lightly".
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 01-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

Time Online: 13 Hrs 21 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    I'm not going to argue with you guys, but unlike what igotafrigginjeep said, the last three pics are from outside of the pit. Also, I wasn't "called out". I didn't feel the need to write a novel about my day, I just posted some pics and when someone asked where we were I explained some more. I apologize for having a busy life and not writing a novel and not being able to be online 24/7 to respond to forum posts. I'm sorry you guys took such offense to it and I will make sure that next time I post pics I will write a 1000 word essay explaining each picture step by step. That's all I'm really to going to say further on this because I really don't enjoy online arguments.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    That's what you got out of this? That you should write a novel about wheeling in an illegal area and that makes it better?
    Let me spell it out for you to make it real simple........

WHEEL IN AN AREA WHERE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO WHEEL

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 29 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher-One View Post
    Go check out the OF4WD (www.of4wd.com) and look at the great things these people (volunteers) do to keep our trails open. When it comes time to negotiate with the MNR for our access people like you make it harder for us to say that we obey the laws and "tread lightly".
    the OF4WD and what most belive will enable us, I would have to think is the 1%

Great response indeed. But, this type of activity is not going to stop unfortunately.
    Our sport.... not just the hacks that put a 1"BL in and some 31's has to grow exponentially to overcome everything against us.
    Camp NL for example should become something of a MOAB North... not just 100 rigs attending... but 1000 rigs in attendance.
    At this point in time, we will start to have an impact on perception.

untill then.....
    It will be left up to hacks like this going into areas that continue to raise alarm bells with all of the other interest groups that want nothing less than to put a stop to this.
    This is only the forums.... multiply this by whatever to include all of the other social media it has been posted to as well.

I removed the album because some of you took issue with the content and I hate getting into stupid online arguments so taking it down is easier than dealing with people who pick and choose the details they want to pay attention to.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec

Fun in the snow

Like I said "perception". It's not about what the reality may be, but it is about perception.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but not too many years ago there were a number of students from a college here in Ontario (not far from a VERY popular wheeling spot) that grabbed pictures (from various web forums, likely including this one) of people wheeling at that VERY popular wheeling spot. Those pictures were taken out of context and used against us to show the MNR "what we were doing to the area and the environmental damage that was being caused by big 4x4s". Our community and the OF4WD have been fighting to keep that VERY popular wheeling spot open. Fortunately for us, we are winning that battle, and others, because of the support we have given to other trail user groups and how we have been working to restore some trails and remove (literally) TONS of garbage and debris left by many over the years.this is why many get defensive and want to get their backs up about it.

I am personally not getting in to an argument with you or chastising you. I am simply stating my opinion.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

I appreciate what you guys are trying to do, but rather than attacking me straight off the bat, you could have simply said, "hey, you were trying to help, but I recommend that you take down those photos so that they don't end up getting used against Jeep drivers by anyone." That would have gone a long way.

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    What you have to understand is that by posting pics other than the last three, and i'll say this again, on a public forum and hosting website, you have broadcast the illegal activity without an explanation. This is a problem...

While I can understand not wanting to write a novel, in this situation, knowing the issues in the area, maybe a brief explanation would have been worth the time. it would have showed that you were aware of the issues and were taking responsibility for entering the area to help another.

Lastly, you are upset that we jumped to conclusions that you were in there with ill intent. In defence to that, your lack of explanation and the way the photos were presented made it appear that you were in the pits regardless of the rolled xj. Again, a little explanation would have helped your cause a hell of a lot.
    Last edited by MattK; 01-04-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    What you have to understand is that by posting pics other than the last three, and i'll say this again, on a public forum and hosting website, you have broadcast the illegal activity without an explanation. This is a problem...

While I can understand not wanting to write a novel, in this situation, knowing the issues in the area, maybe a brief explanation would have been worth the time. it would have showed that you were aware of the issues and were taking responsibility for entering the area to help another.
    I get that, and I appreciate that line of reasoning. I just don't understand why that line of thought couldn't have been shared in the first place. It's responses like the ones previous to this that make newcomers afraid to join in to your discussions. Rather than lead with an attack you guys should be educating and reasoning with people. You want change, be ambassadors of change, not verbal warmongers.

That said, I'm going to bed and signing off for the night. Unlike previously implied by my lack of responding... I'm not ignoring you guys, I'm just offline.

Time Online: 2 Mths 6 Days 12 Hrs 41 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 29 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep-girl View Post
    I removed the album because some of you took issue with the content and I hate getting into stupid online arguments so taking it down is easier than dealing with people who pick and choose the details they want to pay attention to.
    The real issue here is, what can be used "against us"
    Probably wont find many on here against a fun trip out, but the censorship ban comes in play when it is in known non designated areas.

As a side note... in most "no motorized vehicle" access places across the province. Who made the exisitng trails.......
    WE DID

pretty sad actually.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 19 Hrs 18 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 10 Secs
    This is the start of a continual problem

Went out for some fun in the snow today! As much as I love winter I can't wait until spring gets here so I can fix up my Jeep.

Here are some shots from today: http://imgur.com/a/2ihD9
    Came across this poor XJ: http://imgur.com/a/75tAO
    Because it leads to this...people thinking it's cool. Which was the effect you were going for.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_98jeeptj View Post
    Nice!
    Of course when questioned why you were in a No Tresspass Area. You change your attitude to knowing that it's illegal but went in anyway to Help someone who was being a Jackass correct his truck so he could get out of there. Instead of calling for an Ambulance or Rescue for them. Then you say just drove around on Lafarge's Property,but only for a little bit so it's OK.

It was Raglan. We were driving down the unassumed road when we saw the XJ on its side. We drove in to help and that's where we saw the other Jeeps that were driving around there. It was a bunch of Chinese guys in JKs and JKUs, one dude in a Dakota and one dude in a Jimmy. We weren't with the group that was Jeeping there. After the XJ was rescued we went up one hill and back down and went back to the unassumed roads (which is why the majority of the pics are from outside of the pit. It is a shame that people can't offroad there anymore though

And yes, I didn't reply right away because I work full-time and have a family to take care of so I only get to come onto the site on weekends and I don't even come on every weekend.
    Those Unassumed Roads are legal in the summer, but are part of the local snowmobile trail system in the winter.

I like how you edited my quote to exclude the fact that I said I was driving on the unassumed roads (which are LEGAL to drive on and are not property of Lafarge, they are provincial roads) and where I said we saw an XJ on its side in the pit and we went in to help it. Glad to know that you would have driven on by and not helped your fellow man.
    This area as you stated you already knew was Off-Limits is a problem for our community and the local community. Together with the local snowmobile club,OF4WD members, ATVers, Lafarge Employees we recently cleaned up 4-40yrd bins full of garbage from that road leading in there. But it's hard to get attitudes to change as long as people keep posting pictures on the internet saying this is a cool place to go. It's Not...It's Private Property.
    I too have a a full-time job, but myself and many others have to give up our free time to help counter the actions of many others over and over again. To keep the legal trails open to the public. Instead of getting to spend time with our families.
    OF4WD #6222

I wasn't trying to be "cool", I was just sharing some pictures. I don't define my self worth by how many "likes" "upvotes" or comments I get on photos/threads. I should have given more details but I had no idea that some groups were taking posted pictures out of context and using them against offroaders. Like I said, had that been mentioned straight off the bat this whole thing would have gone in another direction and I would have considered myself educated.

And what you said about unassumed roads being solely for snowmobilers during winter is incorrect. The roads near the Lafarge plan are owned by Durham Region, open for public use, but receive no maintenance. It is still a road that is open for use year-round, you just have to use it at your own risk.

I'm sorry that this whole thing has been a prime example of miscommunication over the Internet. Thanks to a couple of you I now know more about the situation.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    I get that, and I appreciate that line of reasoning. I just don't understand why that line of thought couldn't have been shared in the first place. It's responses like the ones previous to this that make newcomers afraid to join in to your discussions. Rather than lead with an attack you guys should be educating and reasoning with people. You want change, be ambassadors of change, not verbal warmongers.

That said, I'm going to bed and signing off for the night. Unlike previously implied by my lack of responding... I'm not ignoring you guys, I'm just offline.
    Give the "poor me you are all mean" attitude a rest.
    You knew you were in trespassing in an illegal offlimits area. I'm not trying to reason with you. I'm telling you nobody here appreciates newbies like you who think because they have a Jeep with 4x4 they can drive wherever the hell they please.....even when they KNOW (because you knew) it is illegal to do so.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    And what you said about unassumed roads being solely for snowmobilers during winter is incorrect. The roads near the Lafarge plan are owned by Durham Region, open for public use, but receive no maintenance. It is still a road that is open for use year-round, you just have to use it at your own risk.
    If you are talking about Boundary Road and the roads in that area then you are WRONG. Those roads are marked OFSC trail and therefore used by the OFSC in the winter months....which makes what you did even WORSE as the OFSC and the OF4WD have an understanding that four wheelers will not use OFSC trails during the winter and early spring.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    Man i had some good times in Raglan. i remember hanging with flexy van way before he did TTC.
    Raglan was so good until the internet and bb boards ruined it.
    Too many people not 'in the know' became in the know through internet.

i would very much like to know if Raglan is signed well to make it known it is off limits?

On another note, you guys are living in la la land if you think pics of Raglan will close things for you elsewhere. ANY pic you guys post will be used against you. If you have not figured that out yet, than you are lost forever.
    Greenies can take ANY pic they want of the worldwide web and say it was in Ontario.

And you know what makes me laugh the most of the stoopidity displayed in this thread?
    You guys that want to keep it under the radar are the ONES that make it public. :homer:
    Next time, pm the person, delete the thread and move on. But nope, lets make it worse by doing the Raglan Dance.

Is it marked? Right now, you can show the marked Road is indeed marked for winter snowmobiles only?
    We have dirtbike trails that were marked but the quadtards tore down the signs so technically it is no longer marked.
    Could this be happening in Raglan?
    Last edited by Spinalguy; 01-04-2013 at 10:49 PM.

If you are talking about Boundary Road and the roads in that area then you are WRONG. Those roads are marked OFSC trail and therefore used by the OFSC in the winter months....which makes what you did even WORSE as the OFSC and the OF4WD have an understanding that four wheelers will not use OFSC trails during the winter and early spring.
    I don't know then... you might want to talk to the Durham Region cops then because we ended up running into one near the train tracks. He knew we went into the pit (we were upfront about it), he told us not to go into the pit again, and told us it was fine to stick to the side roads around there just don't go into the pit again.

But of course you guys are going to accuse me of "changing my story" again or something...

Edit: I've sent an email to the Durham Region municipality to ask what the rules are for Boundary Road. Hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on the legality of driving on that road.
    Last edited by jeep-girl; 01-04-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Not gonna accuse you of anything, but again, being forthcoming with all of the info you have now provided in this thread would have saved a lot of grief. Unfortunately the fact is that cop may have zero clue about the actual status of that road.

Also please understand that at least once every winter, a thread like this comes up. Someone is either out playing, or stuck/broken in a place they shouldn't be. It is very frustrating to see and I can only imagine that it is even more so for those with many more years invested in this sport than you or I.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    You've already been told you can not go on OFSC trails in the winter. Your continued ignorance and trying to prove yourself right is unbelievable. You clearly only want to hear what you want to hear so I'm done in this thread.

You are ignorant beyond belief.
    So Boundary Rd is an officially recognized OFSC trail and yet the Cop said it wasn't. i am confused, are you just providing lip service for OFSC or is the Law completely unaware of what the law is?
    :confused:

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinalguy View Post
    So Boundary Rd is an officially recognized OFSC trail and yet the Cop said it wasn't. i am confused, are you just providing lip service for OFSC or is the Law completely unaware of what the law is?
    :confused:
    Look on the OFSC trail map. I did. I wasn't there to hear what the cop said but it would seem, from the story she is telling, that the cop said it was not OK to be in Raglan but OK to be on Boundary Rd, which in the summer, would be true. The cop may not know Boundary Rd is an OFSC trail during the winter months.
    Regardless we don't need to "poke the bear" so to speak by driving on OFSC trails, legal or not, during the winter. They are considerably more powerful and have considerably more public support than we do....we might as well work together and try to keep each other happy.

However the OP refuses to accept what she did was wrong and bad for the sport. Any trespassing is bad for the sport. I just wish she'd accept what we are saying and admit wrongdoing and not do it again....from the attitude she is displaying it would seem the message is not sinking in.

I may be very overzealous in this but I'd like to see our sport accepted and not legislated to death like could happen if everyone in a Jeep continues to drive all over private property and not give a shit.

Like it or not the OFSC trails are off-limits in the winter. We don't need to be giving them more ammo to use against us.
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 01-04-2013 at 11:56 PM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Vince, point taken. Back off.