Thread: bringing a vehicle back to Ontario from Quebec

Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 22 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 21 Secs

bringing a vehicle back to Ontario from Quebec

can someone give me the best and easiest way to bring a vehicle back from Quebec. I'd be taking the train and wanting to drive it home. Can I transfer the vehicle into my name in Quebec and get a temp permit to drive back to Ontario?

GALAXY S3 TELUS
    JONNY C.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    you will still need ins' on it ...do you have the ownership on it now ...is it plated in quebec now? more info needed
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 10 Secs
    I have transported a lot of trucks and cars from Ont to Quebec and from Quebec to Ont. you can buy a vehicle in Quebec and have it trailered or shipped to Ont with no issues as for registering it Quebec under your name and getting a temp tag im not sure how that works from province to province. we have alsways shipped vehicles back and forth and once we get them back here we register them with no issues at all. you might want to call the local DMV office in Quebec and see if they have any insight into that. i know if you call the ones here in Ont they are more then likely to tell you to call an office in Quebec.
    EGG.... OF4WD #7304 ...
    1998 JEEP TJ , 33X14X15 BOGGERS, RUBICON EXPRESS LIFT KIT, 13,500 LB RUNVA WINCH.... LETS PLAY...
    2000 FORD EGGZCURSION , V10, TOW VEHICLE AND SHOP TRUCK...
    1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL, 3.8 TURBO ALL O.G., BURN OUT KING..

Re: bringing a vehicle back to Ontario from Quebec

Ya vehicle is plated currently in Quebec. A bonus is that it's only about 20 minutes to the Ontario border. I could throw a plate on it and drive it the 20 min and hope for the best. My whole problem here is I want to have the vehicle appraised before I register it in Ontario. Ontario f'd up the whole system a couple years back making you pay taxes right away when before you didn't have to until you registered it in your name. wholesale value on the car will be a lot more then what I'm paying this is why I need to do this.

I road online somewhere about being able to get a temp permit to be able to drive the vehicle for 3 days. You tell them you will be registering it in Ontario and you don't have to pay tax in Quebec with proof of Ontario address. It apparently only costs around 10 dollars for the temp permit.

I just want to confirm this and see if anyone has done this before.

GALAXY S3 TELUS

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 13 Hrs 19 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 7 Secs
    Temp should be good longer than 3days Ontario good for 15. Call Quebec licence office if they give you a temp then I don't see why you couldn't put insurance on it. As for taxes my 98 tj wholesale value was 1100 lil over a year ago if you get the owner to write in the bill that its a gift that's the only way they let you get around that now....
    My jeep wears a bra, maybe you should too

Jeannie is offline Christmas is for kids, Santa's on his way
    My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 19 Secs
    we brought a defender in from quebec in 2007 went to hell and back too many times to count to get it registered and plated here. Every visit to the DMV they decided they wanted something else, we would get fed up and go to a different office and start all over again but totally different route, finally someone in an office gave us someone higher up the chain and they helped us, but i think we spent more than 2 months doing the dick around dance. Seems in the neck of the woods, they do not like quebec vehicles
    Titan Off-Road / Everlast Welders Canada
    750 Darlene Court, Unit 2
    Burlington, ON L7L5V1
    905-637-1637
    http://www.titanwinches.com
    http://www.everlastwelders.ca

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 19 Secs
    yeah i know a few ppl that have gotten RHD vehicles from quebec because they stopped insuring any new RHD vehicles for people in quebec...

if possible i would get him to meet you the 20 minutes in ontario then take it from there.. your only allowed 2 trip permits now per year... so 20 days total..
    if you call your insurance company to let them know your covered for a new vehicle you are purchasing..

some people i know have had issues with sellers in quebec and stuff not being what it should or scams so I would try and make sure before you make a long trip to drive a unknown vehicle a long way in a cold winter.... I would suggest a co-pilot and bring some extra tools and fluids.
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 7 Hrs 33 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_98jeeptj View Post
    if you get the owner to write in the bill that its a gift that's the only way they let you get around that now....
    MTO
    Tax exemption

You do not have to pay retail sales tax if:
    You are a qualifying Diplomat or Status Indian. You can complete a transfer by showing your identity card.
    You receive a vehicle as a gift from a close family member, such as:
    Spouse
    Parent or step-parent
    Grand-parent
    Son or step-son
    Daughter or step-daughter
    Grandson or granddaughter
    Step-grandson or Step-granddaughter
    Son-in-law
    Daughter-in-law
    Father-in-law
    Mother-in-law
    Brother or Sister
    Half Siblings (siblings with a common parent)
    Adopted Siblings (siblings with a common parent by way of adoption)
    Siblings-in-law (siblings of a spouse of spouse of a sibling)
    Note: Only one tax-free transfer per vehicle is allowed every 12 months within your close family.
    For some transfers, such as gifts between close family members (describe above), are sales tax exempt if a Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario is provided when registering your vehicle at a ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.
    Here is a check list from the MTO for buying out of province.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...rgoutcan.shtml

Hope that helps a bit.
    Search and Rescue Training is just Hide and Seek for adults

I Gots me a number
    OF4WD #7365

I know you said you were taking the train. but if you can swing it I would think the easiest way is with U-hall Auto Transporter .

Pull up, Load up and head out.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 13 Hrs 19 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 7 Secs
    My Jeep came from within the family. Service Ontario said that dosent matter anymore unless its a gift. Unless they just ripped me off :P

Quote Originally Posted by andy_98jeeptj View Post
    My Jeep came from within the family. Service Ontario said that dosent matter anymore unless its a gift. Unless they just ripped me off :P
    Government rip you off???? Come on that does not happen here.... lol
    I tried the "gift" transfer and was shot down right away.

my experience About the Tax:
    When they calculate the tax they use a blue book (i think) and you pay the tax on what you payed or blue book what ever is higher. BUT you can get a appraisal from an authorized MTO garage. What the appraisal is saying is why your "bill of sale" says you paid less then what the used vehicle package says you should have paid.

example:
    used vehicle package says Jeep is worth: $3000
    Bill of sale Says: $1100

$1900 less... MTO Want's to know why.

appraisal says.
    Need's tires $600
    Need's brake's $400
    Need's a/c repair $200
    Need's compete exhaust $400
    Need's Rear spring $300
    Total $1900

That is what MTO was looking for when I got mine transferred.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Make sure it does not have a salvage, rebuilt, theft on the title. In Quebec you can turn a write off to a non-write off. In Ontario you are not allowed to do that and you will never be able to license the vehicle for road use.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Re: bringing a vehicle back to Ontario from Quebec

Ya I would love to do the transfer of everything in Ontario (Ottawa) just a few min from the guys house but like I said the mto has screwed up the system and you have to pay tax on the wholesale value. It's listed on the buyers package you need to buy from the ministry. So therefore you need to get the appraisal done before you even step foot in the front door of the ministry and I don't know of anyone who does aprasels in Ottawa, and in that area. The ministry has now made it hard to take advantage on the system lol.

Best bet I think is to try and contact Quebec ministry and see if I can get a temp permit with them.

thanks for all the replys !

GALAXY S3 TELUS

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    you could call a few places out there and ask if they will do an appraisal with pic's i know a few people that have had that done because they were still in the build stage and couldn't move there cars ....

Time Online: 1 Hr 50 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Hi i live in Quebec and I deal with this all the time. The best thing to do is call CAA snd get a plus membership. Ok so transport is no hassel. As for the SAAQ or Societe assurance automobile Quebec or DMV in Ontario do not expect any help or trip permit. They only issue permits for taking a vehicle in for mandatory inspection and it is only good for 3 days. If you lived here you would not need a saftey as long as the plate is current. I have yet to see any hassel when it comes to transfering the ownership to quebec usually only a receipt is necessary if you use the car for parts. To transfer to Ontario .....?..... I live just across the river and I know an apraiser and will gladly help any way I can just send me an e-mail at yawakze@hotmail.com

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    what year is the vehicle

if it is 15 years or newer they will do whole sale ( depends on the sevice ontario clerk they may just go by a recipt it it is over 10 years )
    if it is 15 - 20 then prof of purchace is needed with the price paid on it or what ever you put down aslong as it is a resonable #
    20 + it needs an aprasial

i have went throught this 8 times in the last year last time was october 2012

trip permits are good for 10 days the easyest way to do it is have some one drive you or the owner drive you to service ontario after geting the ownership then get temp plates and insurence and drive it home
    Last edited by H3lzsn1p3r; 01-06-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Mths 14 Hrs 51 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    For the couple hundred bucks it would cost (at the most) I don't know why you don't just have it shipped on a car hauler. Or CAA it a mentioned above

Time Online: 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs
    I believe the temp permits issued in Ontario (The "T" sticker for your license plate) are only good IN Ontario. If the car is only 20 minutes from the Ontario border perhaps you can arrange for the current owner to drive it to just across the border into Ontario and park it on private property with the property owner's permission (a business parking lot would work if you don't know anyone around there) while you conduct the sale and get yourself the Ontario temp permit from Serviceontario. Arrangements would have to be made to get the owner home of course.

Alternatively best legal choice seems to be take the train and have it towed or transported home. The CAA "gold" or upgraded membership was a good suggestion, keep in mind I believe they now require you to have the upgraded membership (for a 200km free tow) for 2 weeks before you can use it and CAA once told my Dad they wouldn't tow the car from our driveway (broken starter) and that he should be broken down at the side of the road for CAA to cover. We simply called them again once we had push started the car, driven it on the road and shut it off...then it was broken down on the road and qualified.

My experience on the tax is that they use the higher of the wholesale value or the price on the receipt for new-ish cars. On cars I've bought that were about 15+ and 2 that were 20+ years old they simply used the purchase price as the wholesale was not listed or too hard to calculate. Maybe that's me getting lucky with a good clerk not caring about an appraisal on a non-collectible (read: beater) vehicle.

Also new in the "car registration system" is an online database that allows Serviceontario to confirm directly with insurance providers via the interwebs if that vehicle IS indeed insured before issuing you a renewal sticker or temp permit. The downfall with the new system is that, in my case, it once took several days after I started coverage to show a vehicle was insured so they could issue me a new sticker. Make sure you have the insurance set up a few days in advance or anticipate that "lag" in the system.
    Last edited by silverbullet91; 02-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    2001 TJ 4L 60th Anniversary
    1990 Jeep YJ Laredo 258 <- SOLD!
    1996 Mazda MX6 LS V6
    1988 Mazda MX6 GT turbo <- SOLD!

Time Online: 6 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 34 Secs
    If you are still looking for an appraiser, try Phil:

phil@discountautolocator.ca

Did my CJ for me, and is willing to come to you. He's based out of Ottawa.

GL!