Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yj stretch spring question

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 20 Hrs 13 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 58 Secs
    The threads may be a wear point in time.. maybe you should have rigged up a bolt-on bolt?
    Keep them well greased and you'll get lots more life. Maybe tap a grease fitting in the square with the nut and make a hairline groove in the bolt thread.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs

yj stretch spring question

Did you use stainless Herve? I would be greasing them lots. A little water in them and they will be seized for sure if hey are not stainless.

I would suggest you make your own shackles. Whether you like the style that Herve did or not. They are simple to make and since your going it custom they will be best suited for your application. Make sure you use material that is strong enough to take the beating. 1/4" or thicker.

Consider things like dropout of the leaf and do your best not to limit them in either direction. The benefit you will have will be that XJ springs sit fairly flat.

I would suggest that you attempt to maintain a 45*ish angle. It will help with dropout if you don't go the same style as Herve did.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 50 Secs
    Im assuming you used Gr8 hardware? do the threads actually revolve or are just tightened down?
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 20 Hrs 13 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    Im assuming you used Gr8 hardware? do the threads actually revolve or are just tightened down?
    They would have to rotate maybe 20 or so degrees from full droop to tuck. If they just tightened up that would make the joint useless.
    I really like the idea, it must help a whole lot with binding issues during flex. I'm not an expert on leafs (or anything for that matter) but I imagine by having these it would allow the leafs to flex to their full potential without the additional binding torque running length-wise through the leaf and limiting flex.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 9 Hrs 46 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 39 Secs
    Anyone wants a revolver shackles? I have a yj set.

Rubi....

buggy...

is it the ones on here or another type. pics please

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    ^ im going to assume that he has something like this type.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revolver_diagram.gif 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	87281

some people say that the revolver style shackle offer a "feature" called unloading. it occurs when you are climbing or descending steep climbs.

My suggestion would be to do a little research and see if that will be suitable for your wheeling style. I know that when I looked into them there were more people saying that they didn't like the way performed then there were people that did.

Any idea as to why they didnt like it .As in what characteristics did it have ,or not have

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Any idea as to why they didnt like it .As in what characteristics did it have ,or not have
    The undesirable characteristic is what Jak already stated: they unload. When rebound travel stops because the spring will not droop anymore, the shackle hinges and lets the axle continue to droop. Unfortunately, when the spring travel ends, so does down pressure on the axle. The revolver shackle travel is useless on a trail since it allows rebound travel beyond where there is down pressure on the axle. This means axle and tire control and traction are gone. It looks great on an articulation ramp but that is about it. Suspension unloading is a very undesirable characteristic that can even lead to broken parts.

You'd be better off with less travel that is under control.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Thanks I didnt understand what he meant by unloading

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    The movement of the nut is minimal, therefore I dont see why it would need grease, although it definitely wouldnt hurt. I dont winter wheel it so I guess that helps. Rust is bad here.

I dont agree with the theory, I have been running open diffs and if it wasnt for the flex I get out of this I wouldnt of been able to run the Timbers and so on. At the end of the season I started running a Lockright in the rear and it still behaved normal and I climbed even more.

Vid of me on Turkey Hill, no front shocks or steering shock (Therefore the crazy bounce) But rear suspension working well from my point of view. Vid doesnt show but this climb is sideways.

http://youtu.be/J3KZlQh7yOg
    Obsessed about offroading and moved from Spain to Vaughan.

Owner of a never ending YJ project: BUILD THREAD
    Winter beater 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    Owner of a Suzuki Sammy back in Spain
    www.d-limit.com

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Herve-D-Limit View Post
    I dont agree with the theory
    Don't agree with what? If you are referring to unloading, it is not a theory. It is but one of many dynamic characteristics in a suspension system that should be avoided.

Thinking about it, unloading a rear wheel may mean it can touch the ground, but it will have no down pressure on it to get traction. Kinda like the opposite to airing down tires. I think that when it hits a big rock to begin the up travel it may bounce up.. One thing I do keep forgetting is that the down travel will be more with the tires on, so it will have more useable travelbecause the tires are adding pressure. The way I understand things it would make a big difference when you put your locker in. when one wheel may have beenat a loss for traction the other (in many cases) would be well loaded.. If Im wrong someone will sort me out.

I like to take the complex and make it easy to understand even if it means taking some liberties.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    You are mostly correct about your analogy of unloading...but while a locker does a way better job of maintaining traction when a wheel unloads, that traction also transfers significant extra force to the axle and the suspension components that locate it that an open diff is not capable of. When down pressure on an axle is removed, the unloading force is completely unimpeded so that the axle may move up and down at will. In some circumstances, this can directly lead to wheel hop, lack of control, loss of existing traction, broken parts, etc. This condition is worsened with bigger, heavier axles, tires and increased driveline torque.

The vertical axis is one of the three axis of axle location. The correct spring will be long enough to maintain a degree of control (downward pressure) in the vertical axis throughout rebound travel. Allowing unloading to occur amounts to removing control of one axis of axle movement which is really just plain dumb.

Ok now I got another question. If the spring completely unloads( and you have these type of shackles) the tire and wheel will continue to have(gravity) a downward force until it hits something or there is binding in the set up. not much pressure on the tires but still some dont you think?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Ok now I got another question. If the spring completely unloads( and you have these type of shackles) the tire and wheel will continue to have(gravity) a downward force until it hits something or there is binding in the set up. not much pressure on the tires but still some dont you think?
    Yup. The mass of roughly one half of the unsprung weight of the axle will provide some pressure. But also be aware that it is only this mass in particular that will stop the wheel from flying upward under compression. Within the loads experienced by the suspension and chassis, it amounts to the square root of fukc all. There is nothing holding the wheel in place in the vertical axis other than it's mass when it is in an uloaded condition.

Time Online: 18 Hrs 58 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    I know this is an old thread but I don't think that herve-d-limits shackles will unload like the teraflex revolvers as there length remains constant and they only twist to alieviate the spring bind just my thoughts on it
    If you can't do it wright just nickaarig it