Thread: Underbody Lighting

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 55 Secs

Underbody Lighting

So, i have been googleing all night, and cannot find anything other than here say about adding under body lighting to your Vehicle.

I have herd that you can only use them on the track, on private property.
    have herd other rumours as long as the light source is not viable, there okay to drive with.
    I have herd other rumours that it depends on what colour they are, some colour's are okay, but any of the emergency colours are a no go.

Are there any laws that prohibit them? what are the rules?

I know it seems kinda silly, but I have a few LED light strips kicking around, And I was thinking about putting them under my jeep as I have been known to wheel after sun down, and thought it might be nice to see how close the ground is to my Jeep when there is no light, or if I need to crawl under it at night, and i think it would just look cool :P

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs

Re: Underbody Lighting

I have checked the HTA and the Regulations, I can't find anything except the obvious prohibition for having any blue/red lights capable of intermittent flashes.

If I'm reading your question correctly though, you only plan to use them off road? There's definitely nothing in the Off Road Vehicles Act prohibiting any lights like you're describing.

Not sure why anyone would want to use them while they're driving along the road, so that makes sense.

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs

I had a thought of hooking the appropriate colours to my turn signals. Make people at night really take notice that I'm going to be turning. Would this be fair game or a big nono. I'm open to red in the back and amber in front or both amber, whatever is legit.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 1 Hr 17 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 49 Secs
    Ive heard red cannot be visible from the front of the vehicle.

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    I have checked the HTA and the Regulations, I can't find anything except the obvious prohibition for having any blue/red lights capable of intermittent flashes.

If I'm reading your question correctly though, you only plan to use them off road? There's definitely nothing in the Off Road Vehicles Act prohibiting any lights like you're describing.

Not sure why anyone would want to use them while they're driving along the road, so that makes sense.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJinx View Post
    Ive heard red cannot be visible from the front of the vehicle.
    Would you mind clarifying this a bit? It was my understanding the HTA prohibited red/blue on the front whether flashing or not, and blue outright unless police or snow removal? Saw some guy with blue LEDs circling his license plate frame that were semi covered, as he went over bumps it appeared to flash and from a distance I honestly thought it was a snow plow.
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs

Taken from Sec, 62(14.1) HTA

In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front.

Taken from Sec. 62(14) HTA

Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light.

Not sure if this clears it up for you, pretty straightforward, but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Thanks, it does.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs

So flashing red is a no go, but flashing amber is fair game no matter where I point the light. Sweet.