Thread: Rough Country's new Stubby Winch Bumper install!

Time Online: 19 Hrs 42 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Rough Country's new Stubby Winch Bumper install!

Hey everyone. So I'm still new to the jeep world but I couldnt help myself and I really wanted to start upgrading it. I decided to get rid of my stock ugly bumper and replace it with something a little better looking. I searched all over the internet for the right bumper for my Jeep. After about two weeks of searching, I found out that rough country came out with a new "stubby" bumper so I decided to investigate. They had two different options. One was that you can get just the stubby bumper which has that nice slim look or the stubby winch bumper which has that slim look but gives you the option to run a winch on your rig. I decided that the winch bumper would be best for me as I will be looking for a winch in the future! The price was quite reasonable at $279.95 for just the bumper. I decided to add on the D Ring mounts and 3/4" Recovery shackles to give it that "trail rig" look. Rough Country also gives the option to add a light bar or even a stinger at any point!

So I ordered my bumper and got it shipped to ogdensburg. I waited 2 days and it finally arrived so I went and picked it up. Now I had to go twice as UPS screwed up hard with my order plus it was around Christmas (FYI: Dont order Rough Country over the phone) but thats another story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	957.4 KB 
ID:	87199

I finally got all of my equipment home and couldnt wait to install it. Now Im a big noob when it comes to Jeep parts. I've never installed my own stuff before nor do I have any of the tools required to do it. Im going to be honest though, it only took myself and a friend about 2 hours to install it (had to break for dinner). We only had ratchets at our disposal which made for a really tough time. Rough country's instructions were simple to follow though which made removeal of the old bumper and installation of the new bumper easy! Almost broke a ratchet though (Do yourself a favor and use an impact).

Rough country includes all the hardware for when you go to mount your winch which will be a big help for me in the future. Also I forgot to mention that Rough Country has a video install of this bumper on their youtube channel. Im quite happy with how my jeep turned out considering I've never done an install before. Keep in mine I've got my winter tires on right now so it looks fairly wimpy :P

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	980.7 KB 
ID:	87200

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1,000.2 KB 
ID:	87201

Hope you guys like it cause I sure do
    2004 Jeep TJ (Extremely clean), Rock Hard Fabs custom rear rock monster bumper and tire carrier, Rough country front stubby winch bumper. 32x11.5r15 BFG AT on dick Cepek DC2 wheels.

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 7 Hrs 33 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 10 Secs
    I Think it looks GREAT!!! I can't wait to see it with the winch on it.
    Search and Rescue Training is just Hide and Seek for adults

I Gots me a number
    OF4WD #7365

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    looks great i always liked the look of the smaller bumper in the front ..do you have a winch or still looking for one ?? if you have one set it on top of the bumper and add a bit of weight if your going to have a bigger battery then see how much the front drops even more then figure out how much lift your going to need to level it out once all of it is installed cause your going to add a lot of weight over the front wheels and you already have an issue ...

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 50 Secs
    Looks good. Would be even better with a set of tube fenders!!

Quote Originally Posted by r.d.a View Post
    looks great i always liked the look of the smaller bumper in the front ..do you have a winch or still looking for one ?? if you have one set it on top of the bumper and add a bit of weight if your going to have a bigger battery then see how much the front drops even more then figure out how much lift your going to need to level it out once all of it is installed cause your going to add a lot of weight over the front wheels and you already have an issue ...
    Still looking for a winch but ill be looking harder near my birthday for sure yeah I've got to figure out what my options are for this levelling issue haha.

Quote Originally Posted by tealj View Post
    Looks good. Would be even better with a set of tube fenders!!
    Thank god for vacation pay at work cause I've got the money for the smittybilt front tube fenders and rear corners with flare but m I still gotta save a bit to try and pay someone to install them but the shops around here are charging me an arm and a leg! Plus I don't want to install fenders till the snow melts :P

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 19 Hrs 18 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by f150guy View Post
    the shops around here are charging me an arm and a leg! :P
    Then stop paying them... and start buying tools.
    Installing your own bolt-on parts is easy and getting to know how to work on your Jeep becomes important if you're going to start wheelin'.
    OF4WD #6222

Quote Originally Posted by BullwinkleTJ View Post
    Then stop paying them... and start buying tools.
    Installing your own bolt-on parts is easy and getting to know how to work on your Jeep becomes important if you're going to start wheelin'.
    Trust me I'd love nothing more than to do that but every time I've ever installed something in the past, it comes loose, ends up crooked or starts rusting :|

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    torque wrench ,measuring tape ,tremclad. wont come loose wont be crooked wont rust .buy tools you own a jeep better learn how to fix a jeep or make friends and have lots of beer !!!

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by f150guy View Post
    Trust me I'd love nothing more than to do that but every time I've ever installed something in the past, it comes loose, ends up crooked or starts rusting :|
    Meh...I've seen many people pay for similar results. Because you pay someone to do something you could do yourself is in no way a guaranty that they can somehow do it better. Not even close.

You can do the fender swap yourself with a driveway and a socket set when the weather clears.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Meh...I've seen many people pay for similar results. Because you pay someone to do something you could do yourself is in no way a guaranty that they can somehow do it better. Not even close.

You can do the fender swap yourself with a driveway and a socket set when the weather clears.
    I think I should give it a shot. I know I can do the corner guards and flares for sure. There's tons of install videos on YouTube for the front fenders!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Days 15 Hrs 36 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 51 Secs
    That reminds me of my old Jeep rolling around with snow packed up in the tires. Looks like it should hold up to much more abuse then the old stock one.

I would look at some aluminium corner guards, so you won't have to worry about rust or weight.

Time Online: 3 Days 17 Hrs 47 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    I've got mine on order, with the fog light 'extensions' I can't wait! Glad to hear a relative 'noob' can do it as the only thing we've installed so far of any challenge was the Gobi roof rack! If you don't have a winch yet, check out Titan Winches here on this forum, I ordered our winch through them, and have heard nothing but good about them!