Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: police daytime runnering lights

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs

police daytime runnering lights

maybe you can answer this why do police cars have no daytime running lights?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 2 Hrs 47 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Maybe because they rewire them to flash all 4 (high and low) when they are responding to emergencies. Take a look next time
    I have Anal Glaucoma- I can't see my ass coming into work today.

Face down ass up, lets light this sucker rite the ^&$* up
    Time Online: 3 Days 40 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    so they can sneek around in the dark undetected when u blow by on a bike at warp speed

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs

Re: police daytime runnering lights

I'm not sure which Police Service you're talking about, but our vehicles maintain the DRL.

I can't really speak for others, you may have to contact them directly.

Hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    I don't ever recall seeing a popo mobile without DRL's.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 46 Secs
    Isnt it law to have them now. I dont remember seeing them for sure either
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

My Mood
    Confused
    seen 2 in burlington on tuesday halton regional 1 was new ford ..the other was old crown vic..no drl's and i have seen OPP with out drl's brantford area on wednesday

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 43 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    I know someone who just got a tIcket for having one burnt out. Is this law? I'm assuming that it is because of OEM safety equip.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 13 Hrs 20 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 6 Secs
    I have personally never seen a cop car with DRLs... they always used to sneek up on me because of it
    My jeep wears a bra, maybe you should too

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    Isnt it law to have them now. I dont remember seeing them for sure either
    It is law if you are importing a vehicle into Canada. Other than that, I can't find any law specific to DRL

Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    seen 2 in burlington on tuesday halton regional 1 was new ford ..the other was old crown vic..no drl's and i have seen OPP with out drl's brantford area on wednesday
    Not sure what you're looking for here, you asked a question and I answered it as best as I could. I can tell you that our cruisers come equipped with DRL.

Quote Originally Posted by 84cj7 View Post
    I know someone who just got a tIcket for having one burnt out. Is this law? I'm assuming that it is because of OEM safety equip.
    I can't comment on that.... Please refer to the "welcome" thread for rules for posting in here.

Thanks!

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 43 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    I can't comment on that.... Please refer to the "welcome" thread for rules for posting in here.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sorry, guess I should have phrased that in another way.

I had one burnt out for a while and didn't think too much of it. I didn't think I could get a ticket for it. Until a co worker received a warning/ticket.

My Mood
    Confused
    ""Not sure what you're looking for here, you asked a question and I answered it as best as I could. I can tell you that our cruisers come equipped with DRL. ""

i found this"""For Daytime Running Lamps there is no Ontario Provincial Law or provision in the HTA.

There is Federal Law, specifically:
    Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations [Lighting System and Retroreflective Devices (Standard 108)]

AND

VEHICLE AND EQUIPMENT STANDARDS [Imported vehicles]
    7(4) A vehicle that is imported into Canada must conform to the standard prescribed for the class of equivalent non-imported vehicle, or made to conform to this standard prior to the presentation for registration under the laws of a province.""

i had thought that the was a law that they had to be "ON" in the day time ..my mistake

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 13 Hrs 20 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 6 Secs
    “daytime running lamp” “daytime running lamp” means, for the purposes of section 108 of Schedule IV, a lamp used to improve the visibility of a vehicle when the vehicle is viewed from the front in daylight

How would it improve visibility if its not on?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs
    Everybody in this thread needs to refresh their memory (or learn, in the case of newer JK users) of the rules for this section.

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...cer-quot-Forum!

The SAVE section is intended for the officer to answer our inquires regarding various items pertaining to laws that may affect us as wheelers/offroaders. The primary intention of this section is to focus on question related to trail use, etc. He has stated that he will do his best to answer other questions related to HTA, equipment, MTO, etc., and when he can't answer those question he will contact his colleagues, and other professionals in the related areas, for the proper answers.

This section is NOT for discussions and opinions of the laws and/or the response of the officer. Threads in this section should be a question from a user and an answer from the officer. Any further posts should be intended to ask questions to clarify the officer's answer. The posts should not include your opinion/input on the law or the officer's answers.

Any posts not following the above mentioned items, and the rules as outlined in the linked thread, will be deleted by a moderator.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post

i had thought that the was a law that they had to be "ON" in the day time ..my mistake
    LOL no worries, and I think you just explained it exactly as I did a few posts ago..... With links!

Quote Originally Posted by andy_98jeeptj View Post
    “daytime running lamp” “daytime running lamp” means, for the purposes of section 108 of Schedule IV, a lamp used to improve the visibility of a vehicle when the vehicle is viewed from the front in daylight

How would it improve visibility if its not on?
    You found a great definition section.

This is a very good question as well. I would start by contacting your local MPP and suggest to him the need for such legislation. If he feels the same as you, he may put forth a bill to enact legislation to make this an offence under the Highway Traffic Act.

Unfortunately, I do not have the powers to enact legislation myself.

I hope this helps!

Time Online: 4 Days 13 Hrs 45 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs
    I hope this is "on topic" and relevant enough for this forum...I believe in the text of the Safety Standards Certificate is the requirement for any vehicle 1990+ to have its DRLs functioning at the time of the inspection. I'm also under the impression an officer can issue a ticket to, or in extreme cases remove from the road, any vehicle which is deemed "unsafe". Would it then be correct to say an officer may issue a ticket to a car without two functioning DRLs if it's a 90+ model, knowing that DRLs are a "required" item? I'm hoping I won't get grief (or a ticket) for the DRLs in my truck not working, because they don't work I simply drive with my parking lights on all the time to satisfy the intention.
    2001 TJ 4L 60th Anniversary
    1990 Jeep YJ Laredo 258 <- SOLD!
    1996 Mazda MX6 LS V6
    1988 Mazda MX6 GT turbo <- SOLD!

My Mood
    Confused
    please read rule on this forum

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Everybody in this thread needs to refresh their memory (or learn, in the case of newer JK users) of the rules for this section.

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...cer-quot-Forum!

The SAVE section is intended for the officer to answer our inquires regarding various items pertaining to laws that may affect us as wheelers/offroaders. The primary intention of this section is to focus on question related to trail use, etc. He has stated that he will do his best to answer other questions related to HTA, equipment, MTO, etc., and when he can't answer those question he will contact his colleagues, and other professionals in the related areas, for the proper answers.

This section is NOT for discussions and opinions of the laws and/or the response of the officer. Threads in this section should be a question from a user and an answer from the officer. Any further posts should be intended to ask questions to clarify the officer's answer. The posts should not include your opinion/input on the law or the officer's answers.

Any posts not following the above mentioned items, and the rules as outlined in the linked thread, will be deleted by a moderator.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    The intention isnt satisfied. Those are parking lights and to tell others you are parked while moving is irritating and irresponsible. You then are one of thos people i curse on the road as they have no Idea of what to do. Get your truck fixed!!!
    Did you miss this post? Please ensure you follow the rules in this forum before posting anything. ensure you check the link provided.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 4 Days 13 Hrs 45 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs
    To clarify my use of "parking" lights instead of working daytime runners for the SAVE officer, there is some vehicles which actually use the amber "parking" or "position" lights on the front of the vehicle as daytime running lights, instead of the headlights or high beam filament on partial power as some other vehicles do. I feel from in front, no-one would be able to tell the difference and it makes my truck just as visible as these vehicles (or one like mine using its functioning DRLs) and certainly more visible than no lights at all which would be perfectly legal on an earlier than 1990 car. That is my basis for assuming I satisfy the intention of the DRL law, but I am curious if that sort of assumption stands up in the real world.

If this is more appropriate to be posted as a new thread I would be more than happy to do so (I just thought it was nice to combine it into this thread already on the subject).