Thread: Engine Swap and Emissions

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs

Engine Swap and Emissions

Engine swaps in the Jeep community are not unheard of. The majority of these swaps replace the stock 2.4/2.5 or 4.0L with another powerplant (e.g. Hemi, 305/350, VW diesel, etc.) that started life in another on-highway vehicle. What about engine swaps that use off-highway engines (engines never certified for on-highway use by the EPA or Environment Canada. e.g. engines used in construction, generators, marine, etc.)? Is it legal to replace your engine with one that is not emissions certified for on-highway use?
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 01-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

As an FYI to further my question above... Please don't confuse emission testing in this province for "emission certification for on-highway use". The maximum emission levels are different (both measured differently and defined differently), the testing procedure is different, and the governing body is different (provincial vs. federal). The sniff-test was never intended for certification, it was put in place to ensure vehicles were maintained well enough to meet very liberal emission requirements. Engine replacements are accounted for in this test, but it is generally understood that the replacement engine would be another on-highway certified engine. As an example, up until January 12 or 15th of last year, off-highway diesel engines used a different testing procedure (8-mode test) compared to their on-highway equivalent (transient test). I'm familiar with the Federal diesel requirements, but I'm not familiar with the Federal requirements for spark-ignition, hence my question in bold above.
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 01-27-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by U Turn View Post
    If you can't get it passed emissions you can't licence it. If you can figure out how to and have your insurance deem it not to be a "hit rod" you can drop what ever you want in to it.
    my yj is an 87 i have no test .....how would that affect me

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 33 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    Not trying to be a dink, but I thought for this forum, we ask the questions, and the save officer answers them, not just any person that feels like it?
    Just trying to get clarification is all
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    ^ You're a dink!

It would probably be best to move this to general tech since this doesn't have anything to do with the SAVE team or policing in general.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My question is regarding the legalities of vehicle modification which does fall under the the umbrella of this forum. Even with emission standards set at the Federal level, it is still enforced at the provincial and municipal level.

General Tech is more for a 'How-to' forum.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 33 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    ^ You're a dink!

It would probably be best to move this to general tech since this doesn't have anything to do with the SAVE team or policing in general.
    Ya, so what? What do you expect from me.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    My question is regarding the legalities of vehicle modification which does fall under the the umbrella of this forum. Even with emission standards set at the Federal level, it is still enforced at the provincial and municipal level.

General Tech is more for a 'How-to' forum.
    My understanding of these laws and regulations regarding emissions mandates for on road and offroad engine applications and the legality of their interchangabilitly that you are inquiring about is that they are administered and enforced by the MTO and MOE. Though, like you said, much of the basis for the regulations is from federal standards administered by transport Canada. So, with that said, I believe it is reasonable to expect that this type of administration and enforcement falls outside of OPP mandates. But I'm sure the SAVE officer will clarify where the OPP stands with this.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    What do you expect from me.
    The worst! Lol

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs

Re: Engine Swap and Emissions

Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    Not trying to be a dink, but I thought for this forum, we ask the questions, and the save officer answers them, not just any person that feels like it?
    Just trying to get clarification is all
    You would be correct sir.....

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    My understanding of these laws and regulations regarding emissions mandates for on road and offroad engine applications and the legality of their interchangabilitly that you are inquiring about is that they are administered and enforced by the MTO and MOE. Though, like you said, much of the basis for the regulations is from federal standards administered by transport Canada. So, with that said, I believe it is reasonable to expect that this type of administration and enforcement falls outside of OPP mandates. But I'm sure the SAVE officer will clarify where the OPP stands with this.
    You are also correct sir. My understanding is the same, administered by TC and enforced by MOE.

I will attempt to find out something if I can, but this is so far beyond my area of knowledge I'm not sure if I have any contacts that could shed some light on this.

For those that might have first hand information on this, feel free to start a thread in gen tech or off topic if you like.

Cheers....
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 40 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Last edited by TiKi; 05-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.