Thread: Friend in accident, need advice

Hybrid View

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs

Friend in accident, need advice

The quick story; Friend (Driver #1) is Eastbound in left lane on 4 lane road. Driver #2 is Westbound also in their left lane. Speed limit 60kph. Driver 2 is stopped waiting to turn left. He turns left in front of Driver 1 at an intersection that's controlled with traffic lights. Collision occurs, writing off both compact cars. Driver 1 insists light was yellow but he 'clearly still had right of way'. Driver 1 was going straight through. Driver 2 claims light had changed to red and that Driver 1 should have stopped to let him exit the intersection. A second westbound vehicle also involved, colliding with Driver 1 after Driver 1's car bounced into comming lanes. Second collision was minor.

It's my understanding that in virtually all situations the car turning left is required to yield right-of-way to oncomming traffic. It this true? Also does the fact that a second vehicle was also was traveling straight through lend any weight to Driver #1's story that the light was not red?

Thanks,
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 9 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 3 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 8 Secs

Re: Friend in accident, need advice

Driver 1 at fault. If he's admitting the light was yellow he should have stopped. Driver 2 has to turn if in intersection. If the light wasn't green there isn't a "right of way"

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    Driver 1 at fault. If he's admitting the light was yellow he should have stopped. Driver 2 has to turn if in intersection. If the light wasn't green there isn't a "right of way"
    A lot of circumstantial BS to sift through. We don't know WHEN the light turned yellow in this scenario. But I have never heard of whether the light was green or yellow magically changing who has the right-of-way.

While I'm far from an expert, I have NEVER heard of a scenario where through traffic must yield their right-of-way to a vehicle making a left turn into on coming traffic. NEVER. My understanding is that a vehicle is not allowed to make a left turn into the flow of oncoming traffic unless it is safe to do so. The colour of light should secondary as to whether the coast is clear.

Eye witness testimony would probably play a big role in establishing whether the through traffic had enough time to safely stop and yield to the yellow light or if the through traffic was past the point of no return while proceeding through the intersection when the light switched from green to yellow.

I'd contend that driver #2 will get charged with some form of an improper or unsafe left turn REGARDLESS of what or if driver #1 gets charged with.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    Very incorrect.

You're not allowed to enter an intersection if the light is yellow, you can however continue through if lights turn. The only way driver 2 isn't at fault is if driver one ran a red light.

Edit: And yes a third party going through the yellow and not red means two drivers words against one.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 32 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Very incorrect.

You're not allowed to enter an intersection if the light is yellow, you can however continue through if lights turn. The only way driver 2 isn't at fault is if driver one ran a red light.

Edit: And yes a third party going through the yellow and not red means two drivers words against one.
    Went through this exact situation.

NO MATTER what colour the light is, the person turning and crossing the flow of traffic is at fault according to the insurance company.

But are we allowed to post up here.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs

Quote Originally Posted by pav1 View Post
    Went through this exact situation.

NO MATTER what colour the light is, the person turning and crossing the flow of traffic is at fault according to the insurance company.

But are we allowed to post up here.
    I don't think our in-house broker posts much for now while he gets better. And I don't blame him.

And yes like you and CTD said, driver 2 is gonna get it. Even if the cops don't lay charges, the insurance companies will put him at fault.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs

Re: Friend in accident, need advice

What I was told by the cops when my grandfather was involved in a similar accident (although he was the one turning left and the driver going straight changed lanes at the last second to go around the guy who stopped to let them go left) a left turn automatically becomes and illegal left turn the second there is an accident. Unless the other driver can be proved to have done something blatantly illegal.

In a he said/she said about the colour of the lights I suspect the charges will fall on the guy making the left. The insurance companies will probably try and say the blame is 50-50 so they can raise everybody's rates.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 5 Days 22 Hrs 52 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Secs
    I had the same accident a couple years ago but the light was red and I was in the intersection waiting to turn and when I finally went a girl ran the red and wrote off my jeep the cop said it was my fault for turning in front of her he said i should be able to predict people running lights so I took a loss for my vehicle (95 zj orvis 5.2 only had it for 3 months) there was also no witness to the red light she said it was yellow but still my fault for turning in front of her

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Hrs 21 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    Regardless of whether or not the light was yellow or red the driver making the left turn has to wait until the way is safe and clear to do so. Driver #2 is at fault.

Driver #2 actually isn't even supposed to ENTER the intersection until the way is clear, the old "3/4's deep" rule doesn't exist anymore.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 9 Hrs 15 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    Regardless of whether or not the light was yellow or red the driver making the left turn has to wait until the way is safe and clear to do so. Driver #2 is at fault.

Driver #2 actually isn't even supposed to ENTER the intersection until the way is clear, the old "3/4's deep" rule doesn't exist anymore.
    This ...

We all "enter" the intersection when making a left turn and wait for opposing traffic to clear. However, by the letter of the law. It is illegal to do so. You are to remain behind the while line so as not to enter the intersection, until the way is clear.

But in real life (not legal life), could you imagine how long it would take to make a left turn in traffic if you were the third fourth or fifth car back and following the rules of the road.

Grimm

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    I have always been of the belief that the law was yellow - stop if safe to do so otherwise continue on with CAUTION.

Not sure about entering, if it turned while you were in the intersection or anything else.

Left driver can only turn when it is safe to do so. End of. But two wrongs don't make a right and another's guilt doesn't make you not at fault.

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    This ...

We all "enter" the intersection when making a left turn and wait for opposing traffic to clear. However, by the letter of the law. It is illegal to do so. You are to remain behind the while line so as not to enter the intersection, until the way is clear.

But in real life (not legal life), could you imagine how long it would take to make a left turn in traffic if you were the third fourth or fifth car back and following the rules of the road.

Grimm
    I was taught @ young Drivers of Canada, that you are allowed to be in the intersection while turning left, and you must wait until it is safe to continue the turn. The Yellow light is to give every one a chance to clear the inter section safely.

If you are passed the white line, you must clear the intersection when it is safe to do so.

If coming to a stop, you must stop before the white line, not passing it.

But as far as crossing the white line, I was taught that his acceptable, and the way you should be handling your turn...

Have the laws changed ?

Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 27 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    This ...

Grimm
    Where does it say that in the HTA?

Left turn, at intersection
    (6) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the left into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the right of the centre line of the highway and he or she shall make the left turn by entering the intersection to the right of the centre line or its extension and by leaving the intersection in the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by passing immediately to the right of the centre line of the intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (6).

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK215

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Hrs 21 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs

The only way driver #2 would be innocent in that scenario would be if he had an advanced green or green arrow an driver #1 ran the red light.

In every other situation for that left turn he would be at fault.