Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mild 350 carb or tbi

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 20 Hrs 10 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs

mild 350 carb or tbi

hey i got and 350 in my yj and i just pick up a mild built 350 .30 over mild cam and different valves. now i dont know to much about the motor yet but my jeep set up for gm tbi. but my new motor came with edlerbrock carb and intake which way should i go?
    thanks in advance

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 35 Secs
    The older guys will say carb, the younger guys will say TBI...LOL

Carb is wayyy easier, but TBI runs wayyyy better.

If it was me, TBI all the way.

thats what i was thinking. will tbi rob hp from motor? or will it produce more or equal? i know how to work on tbi but i'm a younger guy and don't nothing about carbs except put fuel in lol

It's tough to properly set up a carb and get the correct jet size to the motor.

TBI will run more effeciently than a carb and hence provide more power.

Think about it, there's a reason modern cars don't run carbs anymore.

TBI will set itself up to the motor as long as the motor is not too crazy, but at 30 over and mid cam you should be good to go.....

ok perfect thanks for all the input i am going to see it my tbi intake fits in a bit. i know if the heads are shaved i may have issue with intake.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    Stick with the tbi, its a very simple, and common setup. you might have problems if your cam is too aggressive, but a custom chip is pretty easy to get. Edelbrock carbs a pretty lousy off road.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

see i didn't know that i thought edelbrock carb were wicked guess i know nothing about them lol. looks like two ppl say tbi so thats the way to go for sure.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 23 Secs
    I have TBI on my 350 , runs great and gas mileage is decent
    91 Suburban on 38 Swampers, 5.7 (350) V1500 4x4. Big ...red...and ugly.

"The camel toe is the smile of the body, if the body were a face"

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Propane. Benefits of tbi simplicity of carb.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 52 Secs
    i picked up a tbi setup for my 4.2 and with the right ECM it's programmable as well with USB .i was told by a guy that has done this swap many times you also can set it up with the jeep in tank fuel pump and the throttle body will regulate the fuel pressure its self down to 14psi . if you have everything set up for TBI do it ,
    the only thing you may need later is the pass through V.S.S from a dakota or after market one later it will run with out it
    the wiring harness doesn't really need anything plugged into the jeep side except the fuel pump

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Definitely stick with the tbi. Check out some sites on how to tune it so that it works properly. There are several out there.

IMO TBI is far better than carbourated an dive had both.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    You really need to know exactly what has been done to this new 350 you just picked up. The stock TBI will not support much HP over stock. A 350 that has a decent cam and heads will easily require more air fuel than what the OEM can deliver. As well, the TBI is not mass air flow metered and relies soley on a MAP sensor to calculate air flow requirements. If the vacuum signal from the engine is out of the range of what the MAP and ECM can properly read vacuum, the engine will not run well at all. It is not a tunable modern EFI system and is very rudimentary in its operations. It is a very poor choice for induction in a performance build.

Carbs still have their place for performance builds and a metering rod style carb like the Edelbrock can be set up to work very well off road. It is one of the best carbs for offroad use if set up properly. They don't support a ton of power but are cheap. Just don't expect it to hang with EFI in the crazy off camber stuff....it won't.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Quote Originally Posted by r.d.a View Post
    i picked up a tbi setup for my 4.2 and with the right ECM it's programmable as well with USB .i was told by a guy that has done this swap many times you also can set it up with the jeep in tank fuel pump and the throttle body will regulate the fuel pressure its self down to 14psi . if you have everything set up for TBI do it ,
    the only thing you may need later is the pass through V.S.S from a dakota or after market one later it will run with out it
    the wiring harness doesn't really need anything plugged into the jeep side except the fuel pump
    make sure you get a fuel regulator on that the mpi pump will eventually cause issues for the tbi

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by pav1 View Post
    make sure you get a fuel regulator on that the mpi pump will eventually cause issues for the tbi
    The TBI throttle body has an integeral regulator. Any pump capable of sustaining the minimum pressure requirement will work fine. Pumps rated significantly higher will work just fine as long as they are not ultra high flowing. Any OEM EFI will not flow so high as to outflow the TBI fuel regulator. The TBI regulator is not a bypass style. It is a full flow system that returns excess fuel to the tank. The pump will never be dead headed at the regulator that could cause uncontrollable levels of pressure.

"Yeah the TB unit needs 9-13 psi.

When calling Howell and Centech about their harnesses, they both expressed concern about using the stock, in tank MPI fuel pump. Comments were made like "it will explode your TB unit!". "

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-pressure.html

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 50 Secs
    I doubt it will "explode". I think go with tbi and use a proper fuel preasure regulator. when your rig has been sitting for months you will be glad you have an electric fuel pump.. I built an s10 a while back with a roller cam ( they called it an rv cam) and it ran good with the original tbi set up I just modified the harness to take a v8 computer. There arent that many different computers out there , just the programing is different, but the service numbers may be the same for alot of different vehicles. I find the GM systems the easiest to work on and understand . good luck with you project.
    OF4WD #7392 88 Romeo

i am probly going to try tbi to see how she does. i am not going to get rid of carb yet incase i change back i just spend so much time wiring and setting up tbi to ditch it. i dont think much have been done to heads and he said just an mild cam so i guess just have to hear fired up to see how it acts on tbi

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper52 View Post
    I doubt it will "explode".
    I'm sure it was just a coined phrase.....but then again, if you have a fuel leak, explode is a good word

what about 454 injectors on tbi good or bad idea? will i have to tune ecm? will fuel pressure keep up

Time Online: 10 Mths 1 Day 5 Hrs 51 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Mins 50 Secs
    If it is at all possible you should try to get the cam card or rather the spec sheet for the cam. If you need to get help with tuning that is something they will like to know.Dont change injectors just yet. You dont want them sprayingh a ton of fuel and the computer not be able to tune it down enough. the computers like to keep the fuel (and spark) in certain limits and if you are always at one end of the limit it will not be happy and bring up a code. The main problem I think is the timing. Aftermarket cams like to have more timing than oe cams and they greatly increase power because of it( and valve flow specs), so to get the most from your tbi I would recomend getting the computer recalibrated to your specs.