Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 yj from stock to ready for 39s

Time Online: 21 Hrs 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

1990 yj from stock to ready for 39s

Hey so I recently got a yj and some 39" tires that are 18" wide only problem with the jeep is the rear pinion yoke broke which isn't much of an issue because I'm pretty sure I need bigger axles to endure the abuse of the 39s now what I don't know is what axles would be at my best interest and if my tranny and engine will or won't work with whatever axles suit me best for both price and durability and tips or suggestions to help benefit my bush buggy cause ?

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 12 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade92 View Post
    Hey so I recently got a yj and some 39" tires that are 18" wide only problem with the jeep is the rear pinion yoke broke which isn't much of an issue because I'm pretty sure I need bigger axles to endure the abuse of the 39s now what I don't know is what axles would be at my best interest and if my tranny and engine will or won't work with whatever axles suit me best for both price and durability and tips or suggestions to help benefit my bush buggy cause ?
    do a ford 8.8 rear swap, better axle. get an ax-15 trans to get rid of the french piece of garbage trans. You're engine should be fine but another good upgrade would be a 4.0 if you have the 4.2 or do a v6 or v8 swap

I was thinking of eventually going for the v8 or possibly even diesel for the amount of work that already has to be done is there any diesel vehicles that have convenient conversions for the yj ?

I was thinking of eventually going for the v8 or possibly even diesel for the amount of work that already has to be done is there any diesel vehicles that have convenient conversions for the yj ?
    the cummins diesel engine seem to be a pretty comon swap but their are guys too like r.d.a on here that are taking Mercedes diesel engines and stuffing them into their yj's

The thing is I'm probably not putting this on the road I'm aiming for more of the bush type to save the abuse on my daily drive 99' Cherokee so a Mercedes engine may be too high in the price range is the 4.2L in it durable enough for 8.8 ford axles or Dana 44s? And do they strongly benefit me or is it pretty much the same amount of work to look for Dana 60s and do the tranny and engine change ??

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs

You can hum and haw and try all sorts of smaller axles until they all break, or you can just get a cheap pair of D60s and be done with it.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

I would do what MUD DAWG just told you. The 4.2 is a good durable engine but the carbs are a pain in the @$$ on them. a good cheap swap would be a full 4.0 engine and ax-15 swap or 4.0 head and fuel injectors on the 4.2 block with a ax15 trans and D60

That's what I'm thinking. But what's a cheap and good engine? Also, what model and year range should I look for Dana 60s? I'm trying to cover most my bases before beginning to invest money into the project. So far I have put 1300 in to buying it and the 39s

Doesn't the carbureted 4.2L make it easier to put a snorkel on it and less to go wrong with electrical ?

the 4.0 has minimal problem, gives you more power too. its just as easy to put a snorkel on a 4.0

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 1 Min 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 51 Secs
    if littledevil wants to sell the whole jeep for $500 take it ..it's pretty much everything your after and you'll be able to run your 39's on it for now and has a 4 bolt 350 trans and the better d300 transfer case ... if i wasn't moving i would have already bought it and parted it out for 4x what he wants

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs

Chevy 350s are a dime a dozen, so are the 4.3s and 4.0s. Any of them is night and day compared to the 4.2.

A diesel is cool, but you're just wasting time and money for the cool factor. There are lots of very cost effective ways of doing this, so pick what you want and don't change your mind. A D300 will hold up very well to bigger tires and better engine, and you can flip it easily to match which side your axles fall on.

The cheapest way of doing this, by far, is buying an entire truck, taking out the parts you need, then scrapping the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    buying an entire truck, taking out the parts you need, then scrapping the rest.
    lol r.d.a should know, he does that all the time

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    If this is just going to be a low buck wheeler on 39's and never see the road, find yourself a 1 ton GM truck and take the whole powertrain and driveline out and put it in the jeep.

And voila, you're done....but it probably makes more sense from a monetary standpoint to just yank the body off of the truck and tube it into a buggy instead of jamming all of that junk into a heep. lol

Sorry to say, but there are no 1/2 ton axles that are going to repeatedly put up with the abuse of 39's and a V8 in an offroad environment. The key to this build would be finding a D60 front on the cheap.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Where is this vehicle posted by little devil? I'm new to this and having a hard time finding it??

Where is this vehicle posted by little devil? I'm new to this and having a hard time finding it??
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...d-jeep-project

and CTD has a good point does it have to be a jeep or do you just want to play in the mud
    but it is your jeep and your project to do what ever you want with it ..i have changed my build plans 3x all ready and also now parted 9 jeeps in 3 years and still have one in the driveway that's not running right but i do have all the parts i need to make my jeep the way i want it ..the only thing that may change is the motor from a 5.0l to a diesel 617 mercedes but that won't be for awhile and can be done with the trany i have...

The original goal was to find a mud jeep and picked this one up with a clean body and frame with the 39s but the tires are on 6 bolt Chevy rims so I can get adapters to work but the stock axles are not strong enough to endure the abuse so I'm looking to make the drive train capable to take the abuse but I like the style of the yj and I already have it so its a good learning curve plus I need to lift it quite a bit more which is easier and cheaper to do in an old jeep

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    A couple things. I sounds like you are new to this so, here goes...

Adapters are worth more than used steel wheels. No point messing with them by any measure for your application. Find the correct steel wheels for the axles you are using.

There is pretty much nothing you can do with the YJ drivetrain to make it withstand 39's and a V8. By far, the most bang for the buck is use a whole 1 ton driveline. If you luck out, you score a whole hoofed in old 1 ton truck cheap. This would would be the most cost-effective way to get all of the parts you need.

You will find that there will be a lot of fab work to swap everything into a YJ. Turning a YJ into a 1 ton truck and trying to retain the 1/4 ton frame is a lot of work to do properly.

If this is a mud rig / bush basher project that is intended to be executed as cheaply as possible, using a YJ for the foundation is a relatively poor choice. If it were me, I'd flip the YJ (you'll get decent buck for it if it is good shape), grab an old 1 ton truck, peel the body off, fab up a simple cage, throw on some big rubber and rock out. Bullet proof bush basher on the cheap.

If you are set on using a YJ for the foundation because you like it, then great. But it will cost a whole lot more money to achieve the same results.

The original goal was to find a mud jeep and picked this one up with a clean body and frame with the 39s but the tires are on 6 bolt Chevy rims so I can get adapters to work but the stock axles are not strong enough to endure the abuse so I'm looking to make the drive train capable to take the abuse but I like the style of the yj and I already have it so its a good learning curve plus I need to lift it quite a bit more which is easier and cheaper to do in an old jeep
    what size are the 6 bolt wheels you have
    and do you have access to welding and fab tools
    if so then like ctd was saying find a dead one ton and rip into it ..and put the axles under your jeep but you well need a better trany for sure
    but start there and break it buid it break it build it and so on ...i understand not having any cash to build it up ...i've been selling parts to buy parts for a while now they do cost money but i have seen alot of guys doing some realy shitty fab jobs and having the most fun with there toys... so get what parts you can make them fit and have fun with it ...

The 350 conversion is a good bet and the tranny is the same for the 305 as well right? So would the 305 reduce the amount of torque on the chassy? Then I could later convert to the 350 after more fabrications have been done. So far my goal is to do the conversion with a couple grand budget