Thread: Towed Vehicles and Red Light Cameras

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs

Towed Vehicles and Red Light Cameras

Howdy Mr. OFFroad,

My friend and I were having a discussion about red light cameras and we got to the discussion of trailers. His opinion is that a trailer is like any towed vehicle, and that the towing vehicle is responsible in the matter. Much in the way that if your car was getting pulled by a tow truck, the tow truck driver would be at fault.

Say I loan my little utility trailer to a friend, or I'm a corporate shipper and hire a third party to haul my 53' van, or I get my car towed, and whoever is driving runs a light: The only visible plate is the one on the trailer. What happens next? Does the trailer owner get the ticket in the mail? Is it their responsibility to go after the driver? Is there some way for the trailer owner to tell the police it was someone else? I'm sure this has come up before in a commercial setting, my Google-fu seems to be lacking tonight.

Thanks! I realize that most of the questions through this forum aren't in your neck of the woods, but keep up the good work! Very helpful!
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 7 Hrs 49 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 59 Secs
    Thanks Salad, I appreciate the comments!

I emailed Toronto Metro Police Traffic Division, and was advised that the red light cameras do in fact take the picture from the rear. I can only assume, that if it was the case where you loaned your trailer to someone who went through a red light and was issued a ticket, you would have to go after that person for reimbursement. It would be the same as lending your vehicle (or trailer for that matter) to someone who decided to use the 407.

There is no way to just go ahead and contact Toronto Police if this occurs, as the ticket is usually completed and filed in a short amount of time. Unfortunately it appears as if it would be just between you and your buddy (hypothetically).

I hope this helps!
    Opinions expressed are those of the author, accuracy of information posted cannot be guaranteed. These opinions in no way represent the OPP, any other Police Department or Police Officer.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs

Re: Towed Vehicles and Red Light Cameras

What about in the case of a tow truck?
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    side question on this ..for running a red light does the owner of the trailer also get the 4 points off his/her license?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Quote Originally Posted by Piratexpress1369a View Post
    side question on this ..for running a red light does the owner of the trailer also get the 4 points off his/her license?
    It's actually 3 points, and no, the owner of the vehicle does not get the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    What about in the case of a tow truck?
    The tow truck operator would (in a perfect world) notify the vehicle owner and look after the fine.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs

Re: Towed Vehicles and Red Light Cameras

Ok thanks

Sent from cell.. Lost in the internet ...someone throw me a bone lol

Haha look at me - I didn't even know there were points at stake! So say a friend of mine hauls my trailer through a red, police fire a fine towards the registered owner of the trailer (me), and do the points get applied to the license of the owner at that time as well? I could of course go to court and fight the ticket and points, testify that I had loaned the trailer, but if my friend (former at this point) doesn't fess up, then what happens? Lack of evidence as to whom was actually towing it and the matter is dropped? Or is this more of a case-by-case basis and you'd just be speculating?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ON OFFroad View Post
    It's actually 3 points, and no, the owner of the vehicle does not get the points.
    Quoted from my above post for clarification salad....

Cheers

Whoops, I must have skipped over that. Thanks very much!